The 2ccSet: The Trains of the World in 2cc (Alpha available)

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

We are concidering if the region settings are usefull

Yes, please keep them
35%
No, i've never used them, and i cannot see that i ever will either
38%
They are somewhat useful, but they can be compressed into larger ones
27%
I've made a suggestion to what would be a better option
No votes

Total votes: 26

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

The 2ccSet: The Trains of the World in 2cc (Alpha available)

Post by Purno »

Due to inactivity of Purno and the ongoing development of this set there is now a new topic

2cc TrainSet - The Trains of the world in 2cc. - Now: 1.0.1

This topic is locked.

Hyronymus

POLL EXPLANTION:

All engines have a country of origin, and we want you players to get this info. We have decided to add a flag (see screenshot). Would a text in the purchase window with the country's name also be needed?

mockup.PNG
mockup.PNG (16.9 KiB) Viewed 32968 times
[/color]
-------------------------------------

ORIGNAL POST:

I've recently had an idea and I already did some work on it. I originally planned to make some fantasy set, but as drawing a non-existant train is harder than drawing an existant train (since you'd make it yourself too easy when drawing something non-exitant), I've been selecting MUs from the folder of all my drawings and converted them to 2 company colors.

I plan to make a set (well, at least, doing the graphics for it) containing several MUs of several countries, with either one of the following stats;

1. Real stats, real names
2. Made up stats, gameplay wise optimized (including high speed), fantasy names

Code-wise the MUs would be treated the same way as in the UKRS for example; Train length doesn't matter.

I still have to think about how to handle freight in this set. I got two options for that either;

3. Making some MUs refittable to all cargo's, and simply remove the windows for those trains which hold cargo.
4. Adding a few engines and using TTD's original freight carriages.

Now, attached is a list of trains I got so far, any comments are welcome.

EDIT: New poll.

EDIT: WEBSITE: http://users.tt-forums.net/2cc/

EDIT: New poll added. Read http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=615045#p615045.

Old poll removed:
Should MUs be able to transport mail?
- No, passengers only (22%, 21 votes)
- Yes, but don't make this visual (use same sprites as for passengers (18%, 17 votes)
- Yes, but only make wagons (no MU-heads) look different (10%, 10 votes)
- Yes, make any wagon and MU head carrying mail look different (48%, 45 votes)
Attachments
ccset_veh_preview_23_oct.PNG
ccset_veh_preview_23_oct.PNG (9.31 KiB) Viewed 44879 times
Last edited by Purno on 20 May 2009 17:48, edited 19 times in total.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

the graphics look stunning, as usual. actually, i guess the real stats are best fit option. as for freight, select the most well-known ones from different countries (for us, the 1700 ofcourse :wink: ) and create general freight cars. not the original ones, those suck monkey testicles.

´aye, this´ll be looking great. i guess a new temperate set´s the best description. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

astath wrote:the graphics look stunning, as usual. actually, i guess the real stats are best fit option.
as for freight, select the most well-known ones from different countries (for us, the 1700 ofcourse :wink: )
I'm actually planning on just picking some random (good looking) engines (and MUs) out of the list of graphics I once drew. ATM I do not plan on drawing new ones. Tho if this idea gets very popular, I'm gonna reconsider.
and create general freight cars. not the original ones, those suck monkey testicles.
I'm not good at drawing freight cars. Either I have to ask someone else to draw them, or have to ask permission to use another sets ones.
´aye, this´ll be looking great. i guess a new temperate set´s the best description. :)
Well, if this set gets finished, I want it to be available for all climates (tho I have to think about Toyland).
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Purno, Nice idea. About the freight, It was originally planned in the UK to have FMUs or freight multiple units and a couple were built and some were used for transporting wood (the idea being that the MU would be refittable to carry almost any cargo). Most however have been converted for use on sandite, leaf clearance and weedkiller trains. Here is a picture if you want a look. http://www.the-siding.co.uk/others/pages/DR98977.htm
To emphasise the fact they were designed to be multi-purpose Railtrack designated them as MPV (multi-purpose vehicle)

I believe DB also had a similar idea but I know nothing more about it.
Last edited by Ameecher on 23 Oct 2006 13:50, edited 1 time in total.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Aye, I once heard about the German CargoSprinter (which in fact I drew a long time ago), which was, IIRC, transporting containers. In game, such a FMU, could be refittable to any cargo without having to draw all kind of different cargos. Interesting idea...
Image Image
Ameecher
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Ameecher »

Yeah, the idea was that in a depot different frames could be attached to the chassis of the FMU to enable it to carry different cargoes. I have just looked up the Cargosprinter on Google and it looks as though they were designed simultaneously especially as the looks are almost identical.

They are a good idea in my opinion and they might just have saved freight in our country from declining so much (especially as they are light and because the have a driving cab on each end can run along branchline without a run around loop) but then again that's Britain for you...

[/OT]

Edit: Australia also have some cargosprinters, don't know if they were trail versions also
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I'm seriously considering adding a cargosprinter. Tho, using real stats, I still need some engines with cargo carriages.

Another problem is that I never drew any good looking steamers. I could make a set with only diesels and electrics, but using real stats that means I need a very early diesel engine.

Meanwhile, I did some more work;
Attachments
ccset_veh_preview_23_oct_II.PNG
ccset_veh_preview_23_oct_II.PNG (13.4 KiB) Viewed 44738 times
Image Image
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

What a great idea! I've written earlier about my own personal opinion about using "fantasy" trains/liveries, and I have no problems doing that! As long as a vehicle looks good in game I'm perfectly happy! For me the most important thing is the visual appearance - regardless of an item being for real or not!

So yes, I'm looking forward to this! Good work Purno! :P
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Bastiaan
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Bastiaan »

Nice idea! And, they're in 2cc :)

Just some notes: RABDe 510 is electric and RE160 are double-decker coaches pushed or pulled by a random locomotive.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Bastiaan wrote:Nice idea! And, they're in 2cc :)
Thanks.
Just some notes: RABDe 510 is electric
Aye, stupid me was too lazy to draw pantographs some time ago. How confusing.
and RE160 are double-decker coaches pushed or pulled by a random locomotive.
Aye, I don't like drawing much new stuff, so I just either keep it as DMU or let it be attachable to any locomotive. (Which will be included in the set).

EDIT: Btw, someone interested in drawing 2cc freight cars for this set?
Image Image
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Purno wrote:Another problem is that I never drew any good looking steamers.
You could use some of mine if you like ;)
Purno wrote:I could make a set with only diesels and electrics, but using real stats that means I need a very early diesel engine.
I think you'd be better off looking for early electrics. If you wanna do a set with no steamers starting from 1921, there are still a lot of interesting electric engines (and MUs) you might want to look at. Really efficient and usable diesel engines weren't available any earlier than the Thirties.
Purno wrote:Meanwhile, I did some more work;
Cool! But... errr... the French flag has actually blue on the left :p
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Snail wrote:
Purno wrote:Another problem is that I never drew any good looking steamers.
You could use some of mine if you like ;)
Thanks. I think quite some people will appreciate some steamers.
Would you mind recoloring your best ones to 2cc?
Purno wrote:I could make a set with only diesels and electrics, but using real stats that means I need a very early diesel engine.
I think you'd be better off looking for early electrics. If you wanna do a set with no steamers starting from 1921, there are still a lot of interesting electric engines (and MUs) you might want to look at. Really efficient and usable diesel engines weren't available any earlier than the Thirties.
Using early electrics means electric railways are available very soon ingame.....
Purno wrote:Meanwhile, I did some more work;
Cool! But... errr... the French flag has actually blue on the left :p
Thanks, fixed it.

Meanwhile, even more work;
Attachments
ccset_veh_preview_23_oct_III.PNG
ccset_veh_preview_23_oct_III.PNG (18 KiB) Viewed 44661 times
Image Image
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

The freight part of this set wouldn't be very huge if you gone realistically, cause afaik only the Dm7 had a cargo version.
Oh btw, the Sm2 doesn't have middle cars in real life. ;)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Akalamanaia wrote:The freight part of this set wouldn't be very huge if you gone realistically, cause afaik only the Dm7 had a cargo version.
I'm not going too realistically ;).
Oh btw, the Sm2 doesn't have middle cars in real life. ;)
I don't want this set to be too complicated, both for the players and for the coder. Every MU will have a middle car in this set, apart from railbusses.

btw, anyone interested in doing freight cars for this set?

Meanwhile, some engines are done;
Attachments
ccset_veh_preview_23_oct_IV.PNG
ccset_veh_preview_23_oct_IV.PNG (26.13 KiB) Viewed 44631 times
Image Image
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Purno wrote:Would you mind recoloring your best ones to 2cc?
Sure, wouldn't be too hard.
What kind of models would you use? Mostly freight engines, I guess? I can provide you with a selection of my Dutch, French, Italian and Swiss locos. Since this set is gonna be based on MUs mostly, how about starting with 5-6ish steamers from the start of the game to the mid Thirties?
Of course, if you think you could use one or two fast steamers as well, just tell me.
Purno wrote:Using early electrics means electric railways are available very soon ingame.....
Well, yes. But I don't know of any reasonable diesel to use at the start of the game...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

If you want a MU set, how come steam engines come into the picture?
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by XeryusTC »

Looks very nice :). But maybe there should be less white and more company colors in some trains (like the ICE for example ;)).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Snail wrote:
Purno wrote:Would you mind recoloring your best ones to 2cc?
Sure, wouldn't be too hard.
What kind of models would you use? Mostly freight engines, I guess? I can provide you with a selection of my Dutch, French, Italian and Swiss locos. Since this set is gonna be based on MUs mostly, how about starting with 5-6ish steamers from the start of the game to the mid Thirties?
Of course, if you think you could use one or two fast steamers as well, just tell me.
Well. 5-6ish steamers in total would be nice. One or two fast steamers as well, if possible :). Take a few which look good. And if you can, use both company colors.
Purno wrote:Using early electrics means electric railways are available very soon ingame.....
Well, yes. But I don't know of any reasonable diesel to use at the start of the game...[/quote]

Indeed. Me neither.
Hyronymus wrote:If you want a MU set, how come steam engines come into the picture?
I first planned a MU set, but we need something to transport cargo. That's why engines are added. But I need steam engines for the early years.
XeryusTC wrote:Looks very nice Smile. But maybe there should be less white and more company colors in some trains (like the ICE for example :wink: ).
Hmm... not sure what would look best, TBH.
Image Image
minime
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by minime »

Purno, you drew the Slovak flag incorrectly - the red stripe should be on the bottom, not the top.

Edit: DOH, apparently it is a serbian flag. My Bad.

minime
Last edited by minime on 24 Oct 2006 14:12, edited 1 time in total.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. --Albert Einstein
Image Image Image
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just my 2cc, Purno (get it? :P)

The 168 has a very slightly front. In fact, Ameecher has the 168 in his avatar.

I dunno whether you've left it flat because the curve isn't possible to be shown tho.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...

Return to “Graphics Development”