osignals

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

osignals

Post by bobingabout »

osignalsw.grf: to be used in conjunction with signalsw.grf or nsignalsw.grf.
replaces the original TTD signal graphics with Michael Blunck's pre-signal and PBS style signal graphics.

Requested by Sacro. (because the original TTD signals are small and don't fit in with the pre-signals, and are hard to see on electric rails)
By BobingAbout.
Attachments
osignals.PNG
osignals.PNG (2.28 KiB) Viewed 11725 times
osignals.grf
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 555 times
osignalsw.grf
(1.39 KiB) Downloaded 967 times
Last edited by bobingabout on 31 Oct 2006 08:59, edited 3 times in total.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Did you ask permission to edit MB's sprites?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

no, but they are basicly the original sprites edited to make taller. i could have made the exact some thing by editing the originals (i already did for a different project i am working on, see http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=25766 ), it was simply quicker to remove the pre-signal signs from MB's for this quick GRF, which is suposed to be used with MB's signals anyway.

(also, i wasn't really thinking about that, because in the C&C editing community, of which i am a part of, its ok to edit and distribute other peoples distributed work(like these signals) aslong as you give the original auther credit, which i did.)
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

(also, i wasn't really thinking about that, because in the C&C editing community, of which i am a part of, its ok to edit and distribute other peoples distributed work(like these signals) aslong as you give the original auther credit, which i did.)
That´s just rubbish. Never heard of a thing named Copyright? :evil:

All my .grfs are copyrighted. Read the accompanying donotreadmes.

However, since TTDPatch introduced the joint ttdpbase.grf, I´ve put those of my .grfs which have been included into that .grf (namely signals and elrails catenary) under the GPL. But nothing else.

However, it remains bad style, especially because you hadn´t known in advance from that special situation with those signals being now under the GPL. In addition, you´ll have to take further considerations to fulfill the usual GPL requirements.
in the C&C editing community, of which i am a part of, its ok to edit and distribute other peoples distributed work
Pfff. Never heard of something silly like this, for years.

regards
Michael
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

michael blunck wrote:
That´s just rubbish. Never heard of a thing named Copyright? :evil:

All my .grfs are copyrighted. Read the accompanying donotreadmes.

However, since TTDPatch introduced the joint ttdpbase.grf, I´ve put those of my .grfs which have been included into that .grf (namely signals and elrails catenary) under the GPL. But nothing else.

However, it remains bad style, especially because you hadn´t known in advance from that special situation with those signals being now under the GPL. In addition, you´ll have to take further considerations to fulfill the usual GPL requirements.
i can't be arsed to read, nor comply with all that(its late, and i should be in bed to get up early for work in morning.), so i just deleted it all and drew them myself. they look simular, but you can tell they change slightly. as for code, i never used any of your GRF code anyway, just the signal part of your graphics, purely because it was faster, nothing more. i meant no offence what so ever.

this is now PURELY my own work.(these are rushed, i could have done better. ok, not purely my own work, but, based from the original TTD sprites rather than MB's)
in the C&C editing community, of which i am a part of, its ok to edit and distribute other peoples distributed work
Pfff. Never heard of something silly like this, for years.
its the code, like i said, i wasn't thinking because this IS the YR practice that people take every single damn day.
Last edited by bobingabout on 25 Oct 2006 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!

[/url]
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

bobingabout wrote:I can't be arsed to read, nor comply with all that
You're absolutely begging for a plonking here.
in the C&C editing community,
Which this is not, never has been, and never will be, so what is or is not OK there bears no relationship to what is or is not OK here.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
michael blunck
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by michael blunck »

mb wrote:since TTDPatch introduced the joint ttdpbase.grf, I´ve put those of my .grfs which have been included into that .grf (namely signals and elrails catenary) under the GPL.
i just deleted it all and drew them myself.
Why that?
i can't be arsed to read
Aha. Carry on.

Michael
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

DaleStan wrote:
in the C&C editing community,
Which this is not, never has been, and never will be
i know, but after 4 years, it becomes some kind of instinct, or reflex, and you do it without thinking.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!

[/url]
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

The license accompanying Michael Blunck's Newstations is a classic old-style Freeware agreement (as opposed to Stallman-style Free Software). Copy and distribute, but keep the docs with them, don't change anything and don't use it commercially.

It's not my favourite license, but it's hardly something I am in any way entitled to whinge about. There is nothing else permitting its use, and Hr. Blunck's license does at least permit me to redistribute the grf from my server's web site(s), allowing me to ensure that players have the same version as the server.

In the absence of the license, I have three other options. Do without, do my own original work, or seek alternative permission (possibly with payment). Since doing without sucks, and I'm not currently capable of producing newgrfs, I'm immensely grateful to Hr. Blunck for saving me the effort of approaching him for a discrete license agreement.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

I found with the graphics for the Snow In Temperate patch, that Michael was very helpful when approached courteously and with respect to his artwork rights. Many thanks.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

i read the GPL today. didn't understand it much though...
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!

[/url]
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

bobingabout wrote:i read the GPL today. didn't understand it much though...
OK. A simple explanation.

When licensed under the GPL, an application has its freedom protected by copyright laws.

First of all, you have no right to use any software, in any way, unless you either own the copyright or have been granted a license by the copyright owner. Now, the key to the GPL license is that you have no other rights to use the software. You either agree to the GPL, or you find yourself another solution.

The aim of the GPL is to promote the re-use of good software code, to protect the freedom of all users to to use the software for any purpose, to modify it if they need to, and to protect their freedom to share those modifications.

The GPL allows you to redistribute the software freely (including the freedom to sell it), and it allows you to modify the software and make derrivative works, which you can also distribute freely. It allows you to do this, provided you accept some other provisions. First of all, if you redistribute the application you must also distribute (or be prepared to distribute on request) the source code, in a machine-readable format, for no more than the cost of the medium.

If you decide to modify the application, or make your own application either based on or including parts of it, you may also distribute your modified application, but you may only distribute it according to the terms of the GPL. Basically, GPL software can only be used in the production of more GPL software, except by the original copyright owner.

The GPL is not a totally free license. It can't be, because it has to have the power to protect the rights of others. You're not free to pass other people's work off as your own. You're not free to make modifications and pass those off as the original application. You're not free to make proprietory changes, and then to distribute your modified work without distributing the source code for your changes.

Notice that the prohibitions only apply to redistribution. You don't need to release source code for your changes if you don't plan to share your changes with anybody else.

That's about it. Remember, this is only a clarification - the details are on the license itself, not my post, and I could easily have messed up. This should give you the gist of it, though. If you have any more questions, feel free to grab me on IRC, or PM me. Alternatively, talk to your local free software advocacy group (which includes most Linux user groups).
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

I like these, shame about the copyright stuff any way,
before i download it, is it compatible with ttdpatch?
The occasional look back at your past can teach you a great many things...
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

m3henry wrote:I like these, shame about the copyright stuff any way,
Almost certainly. I dont know of any newgrf which is incompatible with Patch.
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

Brianetta wrote:
m3henry wrote:I like these, shame about the copyright stuff any way,
Almost certainly. I dont know of any newgrf which is incompatible with Patch.
just checking, this is in the ottd forum tho.
anyway thanks, i must down these now.
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

yes, it should work in TTDPatch. i just posted here because i use OpenTTD more.

as for copyright, don't worry about it, i think its sorted, i redrew everything myself.(although i feel i didn't need to)
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!

[/url]
m3henry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by m3henry »

X
wrong.

Code: Select all

Error loading new graphics:
More sprites than specified (file
newgrf/osignals.grf)
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

hmmm, i did exactly what it said in the tutorial, i'll have a look at it when i get home.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!

[/url]
mart3p
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by mart3p »

bobingabout: the problem will be the first entry in your nfo file. It shows how many lines the file has. OpenTTD ignores this but it is has to be correct for TTDPatch. Use NFO Renum on your nfo file, that will fix it. :)
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

updated!
it now includes a a DOS version too.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!

[/url]

Return to “Graphics Development”