[TTDP] INFRA - World of Innovatia...

Screenshots of your games! All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

[TTDP] INFRA - World of Innovatia...

Post by SAC »

Not to be mixed up with the INFRA-thread inside the graphics section, this is the actual diary of the region where the game-play itself take place.

As I grew tired of the old region, well, tired isn't the correct label - more like confused as I had made soo many changes as far as the rail network concerned that in the end I more or less lost track of everything. So, when returning to the game I simply decided to start fresh with a new region for my own game-play as well as getting a new testbase for new graphics. That's what this diary is all about.

I will post regular updates whenever I have the time, and anyone is welcome to comment - both positive and negative - as long as it's genuine and honest. While most of you probably don't give a s***, there are others who might find a TT-diary interesting to follow! :P

Anyone interested in an old thread about my previous scenario, LinXEuropa, can click HERE! It pretty much shows the previous scenario without most of the changes added later on. :P

The birth of a new region! - Oct 05

I have a rule of thumb when creating new regions; not cluttered with towns everywhere! This is because TT doesn't offer map sizes that can be compared with the ones available in OTT, and I also like to have some distance between towns, making it possible to add a bit of landscape and plan for industrial areas - among other things. This new map isn't an exception. While I always start out by making the layout for the main city, the capitol and the "wheel" of the region, I've made it a bit different this time as I decided to place the main city in the middle of the region. There are reasons behind this. The previous region had a highway system shaped as a big circle connecting most towns. While I'm adding a similar highway system also in this new one, I have decided to shape it like an "8".

Apart from the main city, located in the "8-crossing", the other two large cities will be placed in each end of that "8". This will add some extra distance between all three cities, making up for some extra realism, I believe :P Minor towns won't always be located next to an highway, but will obviously have exits nearby. Another reason is that I don't want to have all four edges looking approximately the same, with an highway running basically in the same manor. By making the highway "8"-shaped it'll also be running inland, and by doing so I'm planning to reduce the number of connecting roads between larger cities and minor towns - for the benefit of an increasing number of vehicles using the highway! Still, I know me and I have yet to begin play a custom map without making 100's of changes... :P

Anyway, the first step towards a new region is done - more or less. Again, it's the main city, the capitol, in this case named Vasa;

Even though I plan my regions very much using the editor before I start playing them , I'm doing it even more this time. As can tell, roads, bridges, stations, tracks - well, just about everything is layed out where I want to have them. When moving forward to the actual game-play, I will know exactly where to place certain railroads and whatever is needed to make them work as intended.

In this close-up of Wasa it's more apparent how the design is done by the "stones" placed on ground. They all represent railroads, either tracks or stations - unless "stones" are placed for the purpose of decoration only, as I tend to do with my highway system;

The big "stone plaza" is what's to become the main station, the Vasa Central, basically for passenger traffic, and if having a look to the right on the "hill" there's yet another "stone plaza" - although smaller. That's the position of the Metro-station, the local trains that will connect the larger cities with their suburbs. The town has also been prepared for a canal "walking" uphills, and there are bridges placed that not necessarily reflects a road network. For designing purposes I use road bridges to reflect also railroads, as I need to have them placed when making the town layout.

In the next picture the northern part of Vasa is shown, the place where the highway system meets, the so called "8"-crossing. I have yet to build up the meeting point as they're placed on different levels. Other problems are the main railroad running alongside the "lower" highway which decreases the amount of available tiles for a meeting point. And I don't want it to be too spread out!

As can tell from the images, this region like the previous one, is mountanious. I like it that way as it offers a great improvement as challenges regards - something which is always nice! :P As for the cities themselves, as can tell by the images no industries are placed until the very end - except the bank! That's because the way I build up my industrial areas requires more cities to be placed! Those who saw the images from my previous region will know why!

Next update to come! Feel free to comment! :P
Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 10:11, edited 8 times in total.
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Zavior
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zavior »

Looks very nice.
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Thanks! :P

Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

Zavior wrote:Looks very nice.
I agree :)
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

You certainly have a unique flair for map creating, and you've created some stunners before. I admire your dedictation to having such a level of realism in your bus networks, and city design. It certainly produces some nice shots. We had our differences prior, and there's naught we can do about it, but girl, you've got talent.

Might not be my personal play style (I hate having my railnetwork decided from the beginning, I find it more fun to roll with the punches and go where the demand is, much like towns IRL have to do), but I can't argue with the results, so if the method works for you, then hell yeah, keep going.

I'll be keeping at least one eye on this thread, it's a good idea.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Saibot wrote:
Zavior wrote:Looks very nice.
I agree :)
Thanks! :P
Raichase wrote: We had our differences prior, and there's naught we can do about it, but girl, you've got talent.
Well, can hardly remember what the differences was about, but I personally enjoy people who aren't afraid to stand up for their opinions - as I do myself, even though everyone else may disagree. Too often people tend to stick their heads into the sand and pretend the rain is falling outside, simply to ensure that they aren't offending anyone! Still, it's important to know that I didn't leave because you and I had a disagreement. We simply ended up to agree that we in fact disagreed - more or less anyway. But I decided to leave as I wasn't receiving any feedback on my work as a result of the dispute - for reasons mentioned! :wink: So no, there has never been any hard feelings - on my part anyway!
Raichase wrote: Might not be my personal play style (I hate having my railnetwork decided from the beginning, I find it more fun to roll with the punches and go where the demand is, much like towns IRL have to do), but I can't argue with the results, so if the method works for you, then hell yeah, keep going.
I used to play games that way earlier, but I was never pleased with the way the scenario editor randomly created things. When I discovered the patch I finally was able to make changes also on saved games using the editor - which is one of features I enjoy most. And from that point the step towards a complete layout with roads and rails layed out along with build-up cities wasn't very far!

As mentioned earlier I do NOT stick with the layout I've created in the editor, as I always make changes depending on ideas I get during game-play. But by making a first layout with everything properly placed the way I want it offers me a map that at first sight seems complete which I can enjoy for awhile until the ideas starts to pop up. At that point I don't have to start by changing the basic stuff like where cities are placed or where major roads or rail systems runs, but more of those not so obvious changes that in the end adds to the level of realism.

But of course, everything is a matter of taste. By having this diary I should enjoy the ability to look "back" at one point to compare all the changes made during the time - something which I sort of miss with the previous map as that one REALLY went through huge changes! :P

Again, feel free to comment, place ideas and suggestions! I appreciate any inputs! There are lots of viewers here and I'm sure someof you have opinions to share! :P

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Raichase wrote:Might not be my personal play style (I hate having my railnetwork decided from the beginning, I find it more fun to roll with the punches and go where the demand is, much like towns IRL have to do), but I can't argue with the results, so if the method works for you, then hell yeah, keep going.
I used to play games that way earlier, but I was never pleased with the way the scenario editor randomly created things. When I discovered the patch I finally was able to make changes also on saved games using the editor - which is one of features I enjoy most. And from that point the step towards a complete layout with roads and rails layed out along with build-up cities wasn't very far![/quote]

Yeah, fair point. I often find myself tinkering in the editor, to get a really nice layout going, perhaps by adding an industry here or there, or using the land-changing tools to remove all of those silly random, one-tile lakes on the map. Perhaps I'm only one-step away from SAC-erising my maps :)).
As mentioned earlier I do NOT stick with the layout I've created in the editor, as I always make changes depending on ideas I get during game-play. But by making a first layout with everything properly placed the way I want it offers me a map that at first sight seems complete which I can enjoy for awhile until the ideas starts to pop up.
Ahh, I see exactly what you mean. Kinda like IRL, where a government plans a railway network to go from a central station, to these places, via these places, and ends up closing down lines, expanding other lines more, or even building inter-locking lines between those existing, that bypass the main station altogether.

Yes, I'm following now. I thought you meant in terms of junctions and whatnot, keeping the framework the same.

No, we're certainly on the same page :)).
At that point I don't have to start by changing the basic stuff like where cities are placed or where major roads or rail systems runs, but more of those not so obvious changes that in the end adds to the level of realism.
Yeah, I see your point :)).
But of course, everything is a matter of taste. By having this diary I should enjoy the ability to look "back" at one point to compare all the changes made during the time - something which I sort of miss with the previous map as that one REALLY went through huge changes! :P
Oh yeah, I love doing that, looking back, and especially remembering old plans (like "hehe, I remember I was going to do this... boy, that didn't catch on" or "I remember when that was more than a branch line", or the ever popular "That town used to only have a double-digit population".)
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Raichase wrote:No, we're certainly on the same page
Yes, apparantly! :P

My only regret, as far as "looking back" concerns, is that I never saved all those maps I made before the patch became a reality. Although game-play at that time didn't offer anything near the experience we can enjoy today, it was still possible to create great maps! All of that unfortunately went out in the cyberspace when I purchased a new computer a couple of years ago! Oh well... :cry:

Anyway, moving on;

More city locations pre-planned - Oct 07

With the major city located and established in the center of the region, the work has continued to add the two other larger cities. The only difference is that while the first city has been established, these last two ones haven't. The reason is that every forth city in the region will grow faster then the others, and as city number one is there I need to place three towns before I can establish the second major city, (fifth), and yet another three before I can establish the third, (ninth). If I want to use the system of growth that is! :P And I do! I want to have full control of which cities grows, how they grow, and where they grow - hence why I've taken control of the infrastructure. 8)

As can tell from the upper image the 8-based highway is in place. That doesn't mean it's done. Only the location. Needed to be added later on are more landscaping which means valleys, hills and mountains - all of them having an impact on the infrastructure as to whether bridges and/or tunnels are needed on some tiles.

The image below shows the second large city layed out, but not established. I usually get around to make further changes while doing other stuff somewhere on the map, but it's pretty much ready to have its city be placed;

Again, no industrial areas are built up. I don't randomly place those everywhere around the map as I prefer to give each city it's particular industrial concept. That usually means that one city is the base for all oil/petroleum industries, while another one is a base for farming and such. And on top of that I can have two cities both of them having wood industries as a base. That however is mostly a randomly decision, and is only affected by a towns particular location. It's not the best of ideas to have an oil-based city or a fishing community located miles from an ocean. :P Especially if you aim for realism.

Below is attached a close-up of the second city layout. In opposite of the main city that has the highway running in a tunnel, this one has it running through the city, but in the shape of a canal to somewhat separate it from the local road network. Exits are placed on both ends though.

Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 10:12, edited 1 time in total.

SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

The third city, which I plan to become the second largest in the region, is located and pre-planned in the south-east corner;

In my previous game I ended up having three large cities and the rest being small, and I found that concept to be good. Not too many spread out cities and lots of space to landscape and use for infrastructure.

The close-up view below shows the pre-planning better. As with the other pre-planned towns, railroad networks are marked using stones - and in some cases road bridges to reflect an upcoming rail bridge. Again, no industrial areas pre-planned as I prefer to deal with that once all cities are established and the major part of the landscaping is done. But industries in this region will always be close to a city in order to reflect realism - apart from getting the advantage of lots od space for landscaping purposes and - of course - distances between areas.

I don't leave anything un-planned for. If a tunnel looks good in a certain place - regardless if it's needed or not - I just make sure it is needed! :P Below is such an example, showing what's to become the western entrance to the city - yet to be named!

SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

I mentioned earlier that as far as adding industries to a city on an earlier basis, I stated that only Banks would. However, I forgot to add the Bus Depot to that list of early establishments as they're not part of the "normal" industrial areas, although functioning like one as it needs oil. But yet, it's a depot and as such can be added right after the city has been established, as shown in the below attached image from the city of Vasa's western exit!

As recommended; comments, ideas, thoughts, or angry remarks are welcome! :P

Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

SAC wrote: I don't leave anything un-planned for. If a tunnel looks good in a certain place - regardless if it's needed or not - I just make sure it is needed! :P Below is such an example, showing what's to become the western entrance to the city - yet to be named!
http://www.tt-forums.net/files/sactest111_150.png
All looks nice, especially this one :P
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Yeah, it does, doesn't it! One can't always point at it, but some things simply looks - if not perfect - at least good! :P

Slace
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Slace »

Where'd you get those roads and tunnels SAC?
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Slace wrote:Where'd you get those roads and tunnels SAC?
If I may interject, I'm pretty sure everything in SAC's screenies we haven't seen before is drawn by SAC, and coded by a friend of hers. Thus, it isn't in the public domain yet. But, we can dream :)).
ImageImage
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Awesome road graphics! :bow:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Raichase wrote:
Slace wrote:Where'd you get those roads and tunnels SAC?
If I may interject, I'm pretty sure everything in SAC's screenies we haven't seen before is drawn by SAC, and coded by a friend of hers. Thus, it isn't in the public domain yet. But, we can dream :)).
It's mostly done. I will however make some further changes on the roads before I hand them over to the coder and finally make them available to anyone who want's to use them! :P So in other words they aren't really coded as much as I've used the cut and paste method - hopeless case of a coder as I am! :P
Purno wrote:Awesome road graphics! :bow:
Thanks! :D

SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

very nice planning and graphics. I just love to watch how roads are going through all those pretty tunnels and curves with road signs, brilliant !
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:very nice planning and graphics. I just love to watch how roads are going through all those pretty tunnels and curves with road signs, brilliant !
Thanks Shadow! :P I do too! I often use lots of road vehicles in my games, everything from Express Buses to Mail Services, and I like to have interesting road network systems also for that kind of vehicle usage - and not only for trains. Besides, I try to aim for as much reality as possible - even though it's not possible for instance to lay diagonal roads - but whatever can be done is going to be done to make it as interesting as possible. :P

Coastline visible! - Oct 08

Most of the southern coastline is finished and two new town has been established, both of them acting as a base for the fishing industry in the region. As can tell it's also the location of the iron mines which products will face a long journey along the mountains to the steel mills upnorth.

Solsta, image below, is a small southern suburb of Vasa and will have access to the capitol thanks to the Metro. Apart from not having a main railroad system, neither for passenger nor goods, buses will be the second alternative available for people living and working here;

Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

As for Salem the situation is a bit different as it's located next to a main railroad line, giving the small fishing town good access to most towns around the region. A small airport will also be located next to the main station, allowing for even faster access to destinations all around;

Currently yet another coastline is being worked one, the southeast one. A problem here is to find a descent place for yet another, possibly two, town/s that will co-exist as a base for the fishing region in plans. As one of the goals is to allow for some distance between towns throughout the entire region, there can't be too many establishments - and preferably not within a too close range;

Even though there will be plenty of room for ships to travel around, it's essential to allow for some efficiancy when it comes to that kind of usage. Transport by sea takes time and to somewhat decrease the amount required, a canal will give ships fast access between the south and the north sea's. The south entrance located south of Vasa is hown below;

Last edited by SAC on 29 Feb 2012 10:13, edited 1 time in total.

Michael24
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Michael24 »

Looks very nice! :P

Whats the grf for the roadtunnels? They look nice.

Edit: Note to myself. Read all posts... :roll: :oops:

Return to “Screenshots”