Track Types Discussion

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Should Cable Lift be included in the game as a transportation system / track type? (Read Purno's 4th post first)

Poll ended at 27 Jun 2006 15:31

Yes, include it.
50%
No, don't include it.
50%

Total votes: 10

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Track Types Discussion

Post by Purno »

As promised in the meeting (which is currently going on), I made a setup of the different tracktypes in game, in order to discuss it.

Main tracktypes (-) are not connectable to each other. Each one is a seperate system.
Sub tracktypes (v) are connectable to each other. Sub tracktypes usually define max speed of vehicles driving over it. Only one subtracktype can be selected at one time/tile.
Extra features (x) are things which can be added to the subtracktype, or not. Several can be added at one time/tile.

(comments use //)

- Narrow Gauge // I don't think Steel Sleepers would be necessary. Speed is limited anyways at NG, right?
v Wooden Sleepers
v Concrete Sleepers
x Catenary
x Cogwheel
x Third Rail

- Standard Gauge
v Wooden Sleepers
v Concrete Sleepers
v Steel Sleepers
x Catenary
x Cogwheel // Dunno if this is necessary
x Thirdrail

- Monorail // Couldn't really make up much subtracktypes and extra features
v Low Quality // Low max-speed
v High Quality // High max-speed
x Magnetic Levitation // Monorails can both use wheels and maglev, right?

- Maglev // Couldn't really make up much for this one too
v Standard MagLev // TT-alike
v Vacuum Tube // Standard track in a tube sucked with vacuum so there's no friction at all. Futuristic and expensive

- Road
v Sand
v Cobblestone
v Concrete
v Asphalt
x Crash Barrier // For safety? Prevents accidents?
x Street Lights // Same thing. Perhaps also increases popularity of bus lines?
x Catenary // Trolley-busses and trams
x Tram Track // Not all trams need catenary, right?

- Highway/Motorway
v Concrete
v Asphalt
v Open Asphalt Concrete // What Dutch peeps call "ZOAB", dunno the English word
x Crash Barrier
x Street Lights
x Hard Shoulder // Perhaps to prevent accidents when a vehicle brakes down?

- Canals // Couldn't really make up much for this one too
v Shallow
v Deep
x Safety Buoys

- Cable Lift // Would be nice for a mountainous landscape with small cities, I think
v Cable // Only one system, since you can't have half a good cable and half a bad cable on one lift

Please discuss :))

___

EDIT: POLL ADDED: Read Purno's 4th post for more information. Poll runs for 5 days!
Last edited by Purno on 22 Jun 2006 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Dave

Post by Dave »

Actually that vacuum idea isn't new at all - in fact it was an early alternative to railways.

It was the brainchild of Isambard Kingdom Brunel, but I can't think where it was used. The project was abandoned after a while. I seem to remember a story where IKB had his fingers dislocated by the vacuum suction thing.

It's a good idea though. I specifically like the idea of different qualities of track.

Hope you don't mind me making comments on this - it looks like a great idea!
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Hellfire
Transport Empire Developer

Post by Hellfire »

Purno wrote:- Monorail // Couldn't really make up much subtracktypes and extra features
v Low Quality // Low max-speed
v High Quality // High max-speed
x Magnetic Levitation // Monorails can both use wheels and maglev, right?
Low Quality and High Quality? :P

I'd give them some cooler names like "Monorail track" and "Reinforced monorailtrack" and "Carbon fiber tracks" or something. (But that's just configuration, from a software point of view)
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

Code: Select all

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Those names are better indeed.

Whatcha all think of the main tracktype, subtracktype and extra features system?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Purno wrote:Whatcha all think of the main tracktype, subtracktype and extra features system?
That looks good. I think that such a system will work really well.
Feel free to contact me over Email! My current timezone: Europe/Amsterdam (GMT+1 or GMT+2)

+------------Oo.------+
| Transport Empire -> |
+---------------------+
[ General TE Discussion ] [ TE Development ] [ TE Coding ]
Under construction...
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I agree to your proposal, Purno but I have 2 sidenotes.

Vacuum trains: how are we going to visualise this?

Cable lift: do we really want it?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Hyronymus wrote:I agree to your proposal, Purno but I have 2 sidenotes.

is cable lift a chairlift sort of thing.
One thing ive heard of is verticle trams that have a special track peice, that goes up and down a cliff so the tram can continue.

_________
             |
             |
             |______________
_ = tram track
| = cliff
you would add the special peice above the cliff edge and it would go up and down when needed.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I think what Robotboy proposes is too specificto add. If we decide to add such types of transportation we're never going to be finished because or later someone will come with some other one-of-a-kind transportation type (like the Wuppertal system).I think we should focus on the 4 major means of transportation: roads, rivers/canals, train/tram/metro tracks and air.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Your system is fine, but I'd prefer a much refined list:

- Narrow Gauge
x Catenary
x Cogwheel
x Third Rail

- Standard Gauge
x Catenary
x Thirdrail

- Monorail
// Whilst similar, the tracks for mag lev would be very different

- Maglev
v Standard MagLev // TT-alike
v Vacuum Tube // Standard track in a tube sucked with vacuum so there's no friction at all. Futuristic and expensive

- Road
v Sand/Street
v Asphalt /Road
x Street Lights // Automatic in city centre.
x Catenary // Trolley-busses and trams
x Tram Track // Not all trams need catenary, right?

- Highway/Motorway
v Asphalt
// All highways should have lights and a hard shoulder automatically.

- Canals // Couldn't really make up much for this one too
v Shallow
v Deep
// What would Safety Buoys do?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

What about concrete roads/highways and brick roads?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Hyronymus wrote:I agree to your proposal, Purno but I have 2 sidenotes.

I'd say something like TT's tubular bridge.
I think it could be cool for some mountainious scenarios. It would be something unique for a transport game :wink:
Steve wrote: Your system is fine, but I'd prefer a much refined list:
So you want the system to be less extended?
Image Image
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Purno wrote:So you want the system to be less extended?
Very much so. There is no need to over-complicate things and I think being able to choose the type of sleeper being used is excessive.
Aren't wooden sleepers still used on major routes anyway?

Edit: After being on the train today I see concrete sleepers are actually mainly used here!

I think the only place people are currently thinking of using vacuum tunnels is for the trans-atlantic tunnel, so a very long distance where every bit of extra speed you can get is needed. In a normal situation, a vacuum tunnel can be more of a proper, as you may need to undo the vacuum around stations so that passengers can actually get to the train and so on.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Reply to purnos first post:
In some way we need to define how road vehicles can move from a road to a highway and back again.

To me it seams more logical to just have one major type for roads and highway. And then let highway be a subtype just as asphalt road.

Reply to steves last post:
I much agree with you about simplicity.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

During the meeting now, we're discussing wether we want cable lift in the game. Once we decided we want it, it can be discussed how to code it.

First, some piccies of cable lift;

http://learn.sdstate.edu/Jihong_Cole-Da ... lift_1.jpg - This one is used for tourists, mostly. With chairs.

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbv ... e_lift.jpg - This one can transport passengers with a gondola.

http://www.astro.ncu.edu.tw/contents/re ... ow_res.jpg - They even were (and perhaps still are) used for cargo.

http://ski-zermatt.com/mattnet/pics/apr ... 20lift.jpg - This one has a bigger gondola, the size of a small bus.

http://www.places-to-go.org.uk/Photos/A ... leCars.jpg - This one seems to use trains of small gondolas

http://www.cuttlefish.net/oscillate/Images/goingup.jpg - This is how they look from the inside, in case anyone 's interested.

http://www.places-to-go.org.uk/Photos/Abraham_lift.jpg - And this one shows how the poles/supports of cable lifts look like.

Cable lifts are a cheap and fast way to travel in mountainous scenarios. They offer a new way of transportation. Besides, it'll be unique in a transport game. However, code-wise, there might be some difficulties because the cable lift system works somewhat different than the other track types.

I'll add a poll in a few mins. Please vote.
Image Image
TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

Steve wrote: - Highway/Motorway
v Asphalt
// All highways should have lights and a hard shoulder automatically.
Lights on motorways?????
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

That's actually quite common here in the high-residential regions. Tho the more quiet and spacy regions have no lights.

EDIT: Which indeed, should make lights optional in game.
Image Image
TomausRP
Engineer
Engineer

Post by TomausRP »

Purno wrote:That's actually quite common here in the high-residential regions. Tho the more quiet and spacy regions have no lights.

EDIT: Which indeed, should make lights optional in game.
But I would say most of the motorways worldwide doesn't have lights....

Please make lights optional!
uzusan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by uzusan »

What about cats eyes as an option for motorways? (Mainly used in the uk and ireland)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat's_eye_(road)

(that apostrophe is breaking the url, copy the whole thing)
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - PKD
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Cat eyes are barely used here. Tho some new sections of motorways use them.

Each coutnry has a different type of motorway, so I guess we either have to include them all, or make TE country specific (like TTD was based on the UK).
Image Image
m4rek
Chairman
Chairman

Post by m4rek »

i think that lights and catseyes should be included as optional.
i recently travelled from uk to czech republic in a van and the one thing that really showed the boundary between some of the european countries was the sudden stop in motorway lighting. some countries have lights absolutely everywhere, some only in places (and im guessing that some dont have any)

just my pennys worth

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.
Toyland isn't a climate, it's a mistake.
Everyone has a photographic memory - Some just don't have film
No matter how hard life gets, remember there is always light at the end of the tunnel. Let's just hope it's not a train.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”