Snow in Temperate Climate

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Snow in Temperate Climate

Post by richk67 »

Im trying to develop a small patch (makes a change, eh!), to allow snow graphics in the temperate climate. So far, results are not bad; I have trees, roads, tracks, and town buildings working. I want to see if I can get it to show forests with the snow forest graphics, and perhaps limit some industries (eg. farms) from being built above the treeline.

Here are some sample ingame pics.

[edit] Patch posted. Have a try with this, if its stable enough, I will add it to TerraGenesis Perlin & Mini IN.
Attachments
A town spreading across the snowline; note the snow houses above the line, and ordinary temperate houses below.
A town spreading across the snowline; note the snow houses above the line, and ordinary temperate houses below.
Unnamed, 25th Feb 1950.png (102.84 KiB) Viewed 23747 times
Temperate towns above the snowline in loaded games slowly convert over to full snow graphics as each building is replaced.
Temperate towns above the snowline in loaded games slowly convert over to full snow graphics as each building is replaced.
Mike Hunt transport, 2nd Dec 2005.png (95.48 KiB) Viewed 23734 times
snow_in_temp_r4442.patch
Snow in Temperate climate. r4442
(7.34 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
Last edited by richk67 on 16 Apr 2006 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
Saibot
Chairman
Chairman

Post by Saibot »

That looks very nice!
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Indeed.

I must start using patches...
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Awesome! Keep up this great job :)
XeryusTC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: Snow in Temperate Climate

Post by XeryusTC »

richk67 wrote:(There is current a SVN trunk bug where snow and desert track tiles keep getting repainted in green, then evolve to snow/desert, back to green etc.)
Pretty funny eh? :P

Nice patch, it would be nice if you can add some of the artic industries. Of course this could ruin the fun of having multiple climates because you create a super climate this way, but it would still be cool 8).
Don't panic - My YouTube channel - Follow me on twitter (@XeryusTC) - Play Tribes: Ascend - Tired of Dropbox? Try SpiderOak (use this link and we both get 1GB extra space)
OpenTTD: manual #openttdcoop: blog | wiki | public server | NewGRF pack | DevZone
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

XeryusTC wrote:
Nice patch, it would be nice if you can add some of the artic industries. Of course this could ruin the fun of having multiple climates because you create a super climate this way, but it would still be cool 8).
I'm all for a 2048x2048 world map with different climates on different continents, or even just a single continent spanning country, like America and Russia. :D
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

White Rabbit wrote:I'm all for a 2048x2048 world map with different climates on different continents, or even just a single continent spanning country, like America and Russia. :D
Guys - keep hold of reality here. I can only do so much... graphic snow is all you will get here. Im not in the mood to rewrite the whole industry side of things.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Here is a new screenie, showing latest support for 2 styles of forest graphic in same climate. (This is just a sprite swap - if I disabled the patch, the forest would be a temperate one.)

Also note the snowy & non-snowy tunnel entrances based on terrain height.

For those who want a play, a patch is now attached to the original post.
Attachments
Two forest graphics in temperate climate.
Two forest graphics in temperate climate.
Munningville Transport, 18th May 1950.png (42.16 KiB) Viewed 23596 times
Firework Photography
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

great work!
i used to play in artic climate with alpine grf, which has some glitches with tracks/foundations but is really cool
now with your work we can have also snow on temperate, but try to replace the brown-ish terrain with grass, maybe you can keep the brown-ish terrain to show the bulldozed terrain upon the snow line and the current bulldozed terrain to show it below the snow line :)
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Rich, would it be possible, with your new airports sprite file, to have snow on the airfield on high airports?
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Wolf01 wrote:great work!
i used to play in artic climate with alpine grf, which has some glitches with tracks/foundations but is really cool
now with your work we can have also snow on temperate, but try to replace the brown-ish terrain with grass, maybe you can keep the brown-ish terrain to show the bulldozed terrain upon the snow line and the current bulldozed terrain to show it below the snow line :)
Personally I like that there is a brown barren area before the start of full snow. It is quite a harsh transition from green>barren, but the only other alternative is loading in more new graphics. Im not keen to go down that route.
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Brianetta wrote:Rich, would it be possible, with your new airports sprite file, to have snow on the airfield on high airports?
Possible, but someone needs to create a working set of sprites (eg. hangars with snow on roof, all the buildings with snow. If any graphic artist wants to volunteer (please use my airports.grf in the Mini IN data zip).

But the biggest problem is the tarmac. It is used in an omni-directional way at the moment, and so any snow on it will look odd in some direction or another. The airports with grass verges can have snow easily.
Firework Photography
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Well, one could assume that the tarmac areas were well gritted, and possible even heated (they don't use salt, because they care more about planes than local authorities do about cars). I'd imagine that just the grass verges, and possibly the roofs, would need snow. It's just that a big airport always looks so obviously snow-free in Hilly. In Desert, it looks like they spend a fortune on sprinklers...
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

richk67 wrote:Personally I like that there is a brown barren area before the start of full snow. It is quite a harsh transition from green>barren, but the only other alternative is loading in more new graphics. Im not keen to go down that route.
So, of course, having said that, I go try it... and now have it working with Michael Blunk's graphics. Currently Im loading the full set, which is not very sprite-number friendly (ie. Im loading hundreds of extra sprites Im not using). I will see if MB could create a mini-set, with his green/snow graphics and the full snow graphic to minimise sprite loads.
Attachments
Green fading into snow
Green fading into snow
Wrundston Transport, 25th Mar 1952 #1.png (64.72 KiB) Viewed 23493 times
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

richk67 wrote:I will see if MB could create a mini-set, with his green/snow graphics and the full snow graphic to minimise sprite loads.
OK. Good news on this. I have had info from Michael, and can create a cut-down set with his permission... so look out for an improved patch of this shortly (may be next week... im busy!).
Firework Photography
prissi
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by prissi »

Even if this is already solved: You can llok at my old season patch. There I also had a code for matching autumn and winter trees with the OTTD standard sprites. Of course, not all do match. The patch is here http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... c&start=38.
Valance
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Valance »

Great Patch!

I know, I'm digging out an old thread, but it's better than starting a new one on almost the same topic, I think ;)

What about the other features of ttdpatch regarding snow? I believe instead of doing our own thing, we should try to get the grf features from ttdpatch to work in ottd. (I don't want to use wine for playing ttdpatch, if I could play ottd under linux)

So far, I got tempsnowline (with my little knowledge of C/C++) in latest newhouses branch to work. (I'll post the diff, when I cleaned the code a bit). A little bit drunken from this successfull adventure into the sources of ottd ;) I thought of going a step further and started to work on the feature for different snowlines for different days which the alpine climate grf is using. Ok, I believe I'll get it working and after I took a look into the diff for the seasons patch, I even have an idea how to do it. Or has somebody already coded it?

Hm, I began writing this posting, because I had another question, but now I can't remember anymore :( ...

Edit:

Here is my diff against sources from newhouses branch rev 8642.

You can toggle tempsnowline feature in patch configuration (economics tab, hadn't got a better idea). Setting snowline and snow_line_height_table from grf's works :) (tested it with a modified version of alpine climate). Buildings and trees over snowline are from arctic climate, under snowline from temperate. While switching tempsnowline on/off or changing the actual snowline through a grf (setting it directly or with help of snow_line_height_table) my patch will convert temperate trees over snowline into arctic trees, trees under snowline in temperate ones.

I haven't touched town growth or industries (e.g. forest only over snowline or town over needs food for growing like in original patch), so snow is only eyecandy.
Attachments
tempsnowline.diff
(28.76 KiB) Downloaded 514 times
Red.xiii
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Red.xiii »

*bump*

Would love to see snow in Temperate again.... (unless i'm missing something?)
Chicago Rail Authority
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Chicago Rail Authority »

Dylan - I agree.

Rich/Valance - Given the recent changes in the nightlies, is the idea of snow in temperate any closer to (again) being a reality? I'm not sure what would be involved to bring either approach up-to-date, but perhaps now there is enough interest to run with this idea...

Perhaps some coordination with Kolijn Wolfaardt's new terrain - allowing for a seamless temperate snowline set?

Thanks-
Many thanks to those who make OTTD and TTDP possible.
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Well, from my POV this isnt going to happen anytime soon. 3 reasons:
1) Im having a small break, and then I'll get back to working on newgrf airports.
2) The graphics for the snow in temp patch belong to M.Blunck, and I received special permission to include it in MiniIN. I have not sought a wider release that would be needed for trunk.
3) It may be academic if a fullblown all-climates-in-one-scenario option is created.
Nothing stopping anyone else working on it though.
Firework Photography

Return to “OpenTTD Development”