Oz's Bar & Grill

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Oz's Bar & Grill

Post by Oz »

Hi, all! Rather than continuously hijacking the threads for the various projects that I've been contributing to, I wanted a place that I could accumulate the graphics that I'm currently, have been, or want to work on.

For those unfamiliar with my work, thus far, I've posted examples below. Largely, I've worked on the US and Canadian sets, but I've also tried to lend a hand, and help out wherever I can.

I would be remiss if I didn't give a shout-out to two great coders: Oracle and Aegir, both of whom have brought my graphics to life. Also, obviously, to the Patch coders, Patchman, eis_os, et. al., with whose tireless, creative work has made the TT game and community as vibrant as it is today. Lastly, I want to give a thanks to all who have critiqued my drawings. I truly take criticism to heart, and I feel that their help has improved my graphics immensely.

So, belly up, have a beer, and shoot the breeze for awhile. Do you want some pretzels with that?

Cheers!
Attachments
A couple industrial stations, one of which has been coded.  I hope to eventually rework the steel mill so that the three (ore hoist, coil crane, and mill) combine into one unit.
A couple industrial stations, one of which has been coded. I hope to eventually rework the steel mill so that the three (ore hoist, coil crane, and mill) combine into one unit.
Industrial Stations.png (141.34 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
The BIG project.  One station (Toronto Union) already coded, and the rest in various degrees of being completed.
The BIG project. One station (Toronto Union) already coded, and the rest in various degrees of being completed.
City Stations.png (150.81 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
My first, and ongoing graphics.  I like to use these as rainy-day projects, or as a break from some of my larger works.
My first, and ongoing graphics. I like to use these as rainy-day projects, or as a break from some of my larger works.
North American Residential.png (20.66 KiB) Viewed 18971 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Right, so....... my first post in my own thread. Nifty! :)

I've been hacking away at some early 20th century skyscrapers with a North American feel. Particularly, I want to focus on the following architecture styles: Chicago School, Richardsonian Romanesque, Neogothic, Art Deco, and Art Moderne.

Currently, I have five (of a projected 8-10) Chicago School buildings drawn. All are based on actual buildings located in Kansas City, St. Louis, Detroit, Cleveland, and, Duh!, Chicago. Take a look, and tell me what you think.

Cheers!
Attachments
Chicago School v1.png
Chicago School v1.png (42.74 KiB) Viewed 18959 times
Arguments from authority carry little weight (in science there are no "authorities"). - Dr. Carl Sagan. "The Demon Haunted World"
ImageImage
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

Very very look look :shock: :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

About time you finally collected all these absolutely marvellous creations in one place! :P
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Very nice work Oz. Those early shops/appartement blocks really look good. Too bad it's not something European to have around in a city. (I finally discovered a positive thing about city grids \o/)
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Hyronymus wrote:Very nice work Oz. Those early shops/appartement blocks really look good. Too bad it's not something European to have around in a city. (I finally discovered a positive thing about city grids \o/)
Don't know about that really. Put together in blocks I'd say they could very well fit a European citystructure - as long the height are somewhat proportional! :P

Nevertheless, real work of art you got there!

EDIT;

Oops...just realised we're talking about two different building structures. I was referring to the ones below the shops/apartment buildings :oops:
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Oz wrote:Chicago School buildings
WOW! :shock:
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
VIPStephan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by VIPStephan »

DAMN is this great work!!
I love those city stations (especially the one in the middle with the "onramp"). What stations are that (the Toronto Union Station I know already)?

Yeah, you earned your beer and pretzels alright. 8)
Reading the title of this thread... why don't you really make a "Oz's Bar and Grill"? A building somewhat looking like a diner (that's the picture europeans have of America :D)? That would be really cool and is still missing in a north american set (in my opinion). You could, of course name it "Oz's Diner" if you want... :)
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

I'm speechless! :shock:

Great work, as always, Oz!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

that great early 20th century feel of your buildings is amazing. cheers Oz, i'll have a beer on your work. or a couple. :wink:
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Certainly looks very nice! :D
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
RSpeed tycoonfreak
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by RSpeed tycoonfreak »

I REALLY like those stations!!! :D :D

GREAT WORK!!! :D :D :D
Visit The Fake Airport Website
Hobbys: being 18 years old, soccer, go karting, and transport tycoon.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Marvelous stuff, Oz.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Thanks, everyone. :oops:

Have one on the house. Buffalo wings are the special tonight. Have some on the house.

Cheers!

(Drunk as a Mug! GF's birthday! You have NO idea how long it took me type this!) :)
ImageImage
stevenh
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by stevenh »

Here is my 2c.
These buildings are fkn amazing...
*flicks coin towards Oz* :P
When do we get to see the American/Canadian Buildings Set?
mtwist
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mtwist »

Those are really really good looking sprites. Awesome. Which way did you create those nice buildings? Drawing every single pixel by hand? Which program are you using? I tried t draw some sheds. The problem are the textures. It is not easy to make them look realistic!
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

These buildings are a good inspiration for European ones as well. I am thinking about Paris, London, Berlin, Vienna, Budapest, Prague etc...

Maybe I can find some time someday to focus a bit more on types of buildings like that. Keep up the good work indeed!

A little question about the stations though: What flexibility do players have in putting such a station down?

For the rest I would just say WOW thats amazing!
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

mtwist: It's all pixel pushing. I use Photoshop 5.5, but rarely use any of the built-in effects.

Caelan: All of the stations that I've drawn are expandable/contractable just like the Toronto Union Station. Because of the size of the buildings themselves, the minimum length is, generally, three or four tiles. I kinda think that's one of the features that makes drawing stations so challenging and fun.

Cheers!
ImageImage
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

stevenh wrote:When do we get to see the American/Canadian Buildings Set?
You already can, I'm a working on it. Check my projects thread, link in my signature. I'm picking up whatever sprites Oz throws at me and getting them in-game ;).
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Oz
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Oz »

Just a quick update on the early Chicago School buildings that I've been working on. I've added four more to the already drawn buildings, and I'm probably going to leave it at that. Still have to add doo-dads to the roofs, and some other small brush-ups, then onto construction stages. Before I get too far ahead, though, I though that some feedback /suggestions /concerns are in order.

I've also posted a quick sample of the variations that can be made from just nine buildings. I plan on picking about 10 favorites, as well as 10 of the reverse views. Are there are any that you guys particularly like? If so, I'll be sure to include them.

Wish me luck guys. My thesis proposal committe meeting is in two days. There's nothing like having two years of your research picked apart by five faculty members, and then having to defend every step you've ever made. Yeah, about as pleasant as getting your teeth drilled. Ugh! :?

Cheers!
Attachments
CS Variations.png
CS Variations.png (76.81 KiB) Viewed 1302 times
Chicago School v2.png
Chicago School v2.png (72.66 KiB) Viewed 18245 times
ImageImage

Return to “Graphics Development”