Caelan's graphics

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Sonicelo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sonicelo »

That would realy bring life into citys.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

Hyronymus wrote:I like your animation, Caelan. I wonder if having more such animation would slow the game down. Perhaps a patch dev can asnwer this?
would be no harm if it would slow it down a bit. It's running too fast in my opinion anyway.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
Axlrose
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Axlrose »

Considering how fast a day goes during the game, those people are in slow motion... :P

While I do not know those created "named" buildings since I am over here in America, they do look pleasant.
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

Allright a slightly project coming up: City halls....i have been drawing one in the beginning, which of coure i will try to develop a bit more.

Second to that i am working currently on the Dutch Stationset... A prerelease will be sent to a coder when i have drawn enough...

Aegir can you code stations filling with people as more passengers wait? (like MB or the freight sets) I will then sent you a couple of platforms (also with snow)...

Thats the update :D
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Caelan wrote:Aegir can you code stations filling with people as more passengers wait? (like MB or the freight sets) I will then sent you a couple of platforms (also with snow)...
Nope, they're way, way out of my league. You want to chase down somone like Oracle to code them.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Coding people/cargo is not any more difficult than not. The action 2 just needs more than one set.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Shhh! You're only making things worse for yourself patchman! You are the one who's going to have to walk me through this later anyway :P.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
lifeblood
President
President

Post by lifeblood »

OzTrans is working on it for the Canadian set.

Just bragging about having a really good coder. :P
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

i like the entire European-feel TTD's gonna get with all them new graphics. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

lifeblood wrote: ... Just bragging about having a really good coder. ...
Thanks, but those excellent sprites, lifeblood creates, are the real start for a good station set; as a result you get good coding.

Caelan, coding is the easy bit, you need to make sure your sprites are perfect. I recommend you go for a 'Lego' type system when building a single station tile; i.e every feature of a tile is a seperate sprite, which in turn can be reused to make many different looking individual tiles. That also includes various numbers of passengers waiting.
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

I got some hints and tips from Zimmlock in the ' new way of coding'
That is, creating a building is done in several parts od buildings pasted together by a coder create a building.

Would it be okay if i created sprites, making various sub sprites that all come together in one drawing?

Hmm let me add a drawing to it... will do when i get back from work.
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

A second post if i am permitted:

Here i drafted some parts that wouls need to fit together somehow. I will continue later with this, but i was wondering if this would suffice for a coder. In this case just one platform side.
Attachments
try out for coding.PNG
try out for coding.PNG (3.17 KiB) Viewed 3848 times
OzTrans
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by OzTrans »

Caelan wrote: ... Here i drafted some parts that wouls need to fit together somehow. ... but i was wondering if this would suffice for a coder. In this case just one platform side.
Yes, you are on the right track. I assume the 2 left platform sprites are a mock up to show how you want it arranged.

You will need a mock up of each individual platform tile you want to appear; then you will also need some mock up's of the station as a whole. In particular, how a single track, dual track (even number of platforms) and multiple track stations (including odd number of platforms) are to be constructed. Then you need to give instructions for the very left and very right platforms, especially if they have fences. Also, you need to remember a player can build anything from a 1x1 to a 14X14 station. The more complex that station is to be, the more details you need to provide.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Looks nice, but the lightpole is wrong.
Double lightpoles are only used for double platforms. Single platforms got single lightpoles. The lights of the lightpoles usually point towards the tracks (that's 90 degrees compared to the platform direction).
Example;

Code: Select all

---------------------------------------
|                   |                 |
|_____________________________________|

#######################################

------ track

______
|    | platform
|____|

|
  *    lightpole
  |

###### end of platform (hedge or something)

If you understand what I mean.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

This is a sample of the station lay out i would want to create. The platforms are only on one side of the track (in the middle we could optionally do a 'dead' track for eyecandy , 'dead" signals or just plain nothing... Anyway the railing is orange... hopefully you will like this, perhaps i could try some other colors as well...
Attachments
OverPassSimple.PNG
OverPassSimple.PNG (3.41 KiB) Viewed 3717 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

The overpass looks a bit skinny and unstable. Besides, I wonder if it's high enough for catenary.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
SAC
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SAC »

Looks really good! :P I'd prefer to have a "dead" track in between there actually!
Simuscape - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | Visual Studio | INFRA Diary

INFRA Downloads - Chose Your Destination;
Simuscape | INFRA - A World of its own
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

Purno wrote:The overpass looks a bit skinny and unstable. Besides, I wonder if it's high enough for catenary.
It is as high as MB's overpass, i took the same measure.
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

Great great continue my friend :) :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Try adding a pylon in the middle, Caelan. Any overpass build designed like this will fail safety tests, imagine what happens if the overpass does buckle! But no further comments, it looks great!

Return to “Graphics Development”