Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:05 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:02 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Aegir wrote:
Add construction stages for thoses, and I can code them into the game for you ;).

Actually most of these buildings are very old, so they should only appear in the city centre and in the beginning. I will create soon some buildings which will have construction stages no worries :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:10 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

To bad that you cant construct this little boy:

:: Looking for the Locomotion section? Scroll down on the forum index or click here. :: See all releases in Locomotion section? Clicky here! :: Click here for the best tool ever! :: .datCrawler try it! ::
Following roadmap for releases: Whats a roadmap?
Releases of LocoTrains can be found by checking the posts of:
LocoTrains - Goold old AMI Trains member of the first hour.
I have Private Messaging disabled, because of the stupid questions i get in my PM box.
Want to talk to me? Get on the #tycoon and #locomotion channel on OFTC thingy. :: Evolution of men: Loosing more braincells, everytime you post...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:48 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Verynice work! Windmill is great! But maybe George is right: it'll look better faced to canal.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:03 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

bloody awesome Caelan! soon i'll be able to build Utrecht in my own game, awesome. looks bloody great. :D

"On the other hand, I have different fingers" -- The rascal formerly known as astath, loathing you and more specifically your religion. Anti-theist, be like it. -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club -- Good times.

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:28 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

And here is the first drawing of the request list:

The famous landmark of Terschelling, the one and only oldest lighthouse (dated from around 1600)

The BRANDARIS!

Attachments:
Brandaris.PNG
Brandaris.PNG [ 3.94 KiB | Viewed 3018 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:21 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Looks awesome, but where's the light of the lighthouse? If it'll replace the TTD's lighthouse (which I guess it will) you got (IIRC) 4 animation sprites available.

GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:45 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Nice Caelan. It would indeed be nice to see it function!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:07 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Actually i will want to draw a more representative lighthouse using this one as a landmark in (a few) coastal towns or if possible indeed as a lighthouse but a second one, not the primary...
Anyway let me see if i can add some illuminating from it....

Attachments:
Brandarisanimated.gif
Brandarisanimated.gif [ 1.97 KiB | Viewed 2970 times ]

Last edited by Caelan on Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:11 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Now, with animation, it's very nice! :D Looking forward to replace original lighthouse with that.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:41 am 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Really great, Caelan.

But there's still something wrong with the old windmill's propellers:
George wrote:
Caelan wrote:
well you are right when the propellors are aligned to the canal, but not when they are facing the viewer (facing the lower corner) as they do now right? But i will take another look at them.
I suppose they should be faced to canal.

Wile E. Coyote wrote:
Verynice work! Windmill is great! But maybe George is right: it'll look better faced to canal.

It's not a question of if you align the propellers to the canal or to the (virtual) viewer pane.

But it's a question of the orthographic projection we use to put 3D world onto a 2D screen:

The plane in which the rotor blades should rotate is normally (at least in the old german windmills I know) perpendicular to the ground - but in your image it looks like the rotor blade plane and the ground plane enclose an angle different from 90°.

Because we look slightly from the top to the TTD world you have to shorten the length of the rotor when it is orthographic to the ground plane - by an amount of cos(phi), as seen in the image below. Unfortunately I don't know phi exactly, but maybe George is right when he says that the blade has to be shortened to 66% or something...

[edit]:
phi seems to be exactly 30°, so 66% is too much. cos(30°) = 87%

Attachments:
projection.png
projection.png [ 7.73 KiB | Viewed 2948 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:45 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Red*Star wrote:

But it's a question of the orthographic projection we use to put 3D world onto a 2D screen:

The plane in which the rotor blades should rotate is normally (at least in the old german windmills I know) perpendicular to the ground - but in your image it looks like the rotor blade plane and the ground plane enclose an angle different from 90°.

Because we look slightly from the top to the TTD world you have to shorten the length of the rotor when it is orthographic to the ground plane - by an amount of cos(phi), as seen in the image below. Unfortunately I don't know phi exactly, but maybe George is right when he says that the blade has to be shortened to 66% or something...

You are right when it concerns a 90 degree angle, but mills are rarely in a 90 degree at least not here. The angle would more something like 80 to 75 degrees making it appear slightly more upwards to the wind.

In relation to the view of the mill this means the propellors should be a bit larger then you sugegsted. Maybe not as large as they are now, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:48 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

This lighthouse would be a perfect addition to my suggestion about having the ability to add additional graphics to the editor, (lighthouses, transmitters) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:34 pm 
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Caelan wrote:
You are right when it concerns a 90 degree angle, but mills are rarely in a 90 degree at least not here. The angle would more something like 80 to 75 degrees making it appear slightly more upwards to the wind.

Damn, it is difficult to get pictures on the net where the windmill's rotors are shown from the side. But now I have found some...
...and ok, it seems the angle really depends on where you live. At least I have not seen so much windmills with rotation planes differing /very much/ from the inclosing 90° orth. on the surface. But well, that's in northern germany.

Maybe you really could just leave your sprite as-it-is, because it still looks amazing :D

N.F.S. Grundtvig

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:13 pm 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Well if everybody likes it, then i will leave it. Here is another building. Though i am not entirely sure about it yet, i just wanted to have some comments:

The Utrecht Domtoren:

Attachments:
Domtoren.PNG
Domtoren.PNG [ 2.54 KiB | Viewed 2889 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:53 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Is that the tower nearby plein Vredenburg nearby the Bijenkorf? Dunno, I'm not that familiar in Utrecht, but that tower is brown. Can't imagine the Dom being grey, TBH.

GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:24 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

That brown is the patina layer (= dirt) on the stones. If you clean it, which they do every now and then, it's a greyish stone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:32 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ah ok, didn't knew that. Anyways, cool building! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:13 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Purno wrote:
Is that the tower nearby plein Vredenburg nearby the Bijenkorf? Dunno, I'm not that familiar in Utrecht, but that tower is brown. Can't imagine the Dom being grey, TBH.

Utrechtse domtoren op het vreeburg? when's the last time you've been to Utrecht? :P

look great Caelan, although i think it's indeed not a bad idea to get it a little darker and more brownish, since it's the current external look. but beside that point it looks great, and remarkably recognizeable as well! :) maybe you should get a try on the Utrechtse "inkpot" as well, that would be a 4-tile building. it's actually the biggest brick building in the Netherlands, currently being renovated.

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Inktpot

"On the other hand, I have different fingers" -- The rascal formerly known as astath, loathing you and more specifically your religion. Anti-theist, be like it. -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club -- Good times.

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:24 am 
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

I created the Monument at the Dam,
But since i thought it was rather boring, just grey, i added an animation to it. Perhaps it could be usefull in the future to have more of such animated buildings with people walking along....Its not yet perfect but it gives an impression of the possibilities. That is, if it works with coding...

Attachments:
Dam animated.gif
Dam animated.gif [ 1.43 KiB | Viewed 2723 times ]
Monument Dam.PNG
Monument Dam.PNG [ 7.6 KiB | Viewed 2723 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:46 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I like your animation, Caelan. I wonder if having more such animation would slow the game down. Perhaps a patch dev can asnwer this?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next