[REL] Scenario: Calhadras Coal

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

[REL] Scenario: Calhadras Coal

Post by teccuk »

Calhadras Coal
Im posting this because simply i have had A LOT of fun with it! Three attempts to get a working track layout... the challenge is in engineering rather than management.

Basically - haul silly amounts of coal across a the vast 'Calhadras' mountain range.

Its starts off very slow, but you can micro manage to pass the time. Once the second coal field is linked up the cash will come rolling in and you can start on the main event, moving colossal quantaties of the black stuff accross the mountians.

Start date: 1965
Objective: Move 500,000 tonnes of coal
Difficulty: 'Medium' (as money is not the issue)
Compettitors: None (they're idiots anyway).

Background
A northern Scandanavian province has been blest with massive amounts of high grade and useful coal, suitable for export to the whole world. Only one problem... the massive Calhadras mountians stand between the Tundra flats where most of the coal is mined and the coastal port (next to a power station).

The challenge is not making money, but engineering a line over the mountians with enough capacity to fulfill the needs of the coal mines. You can take the historical pass right the way up and over or try and tunnel through at key points, the choice is yours.

The government has kindly given you a big loan with a low interest rate.

Don't feel obliged to link the Towns, but do so of course if you wish. I feel electric locomotives is cheating, but it makes it much easier.

The Map:

Attractive Scenery:

A track layout i found to work (note the slag heaps to the left):

The pass:

Okay then thats my humble submission to you pro's it shoudl give 3-4 hours worth of entertainment anyway at least... :?
Attachments
Calhadras Coal.zip
(330.39 KiB) Downloaded 1859 times
Last edited by teccuk on 09 Apr 2006 12:02, edited 1 time in total.
LocArny
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LocArny »

Looks really great! I'll give it a try :)
Sureshot
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Sureshot »

Any mods needed?
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

locarny: :oops: aw thanks, but i reckon you lot will eat it alive and find it really easy by doing things like building lots of tunnels rather then going over as much as its designed to make you :wink:

sureshot: Err, i dont think so... I run the nobreakdowns mod, i dont think that will effect it though?
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

Looks amazing! :D

I think I'll go play this now. *Wo0t!*

Nice work.
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Geert
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Geert »

How did you made this scenerio? I mean look at those mountains, how did you do that? Which mod?
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

I used this map to beta test some US coal hoppers out on today. nice map, i usually hate mountains on maps, but since the object was to deal with them, i had fun.
North American sets and then some...
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
My Trains are made from 100% recycled electrons!
thompson_fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by thompson_fan »

i've only taken a quick look at this map in-game.

I'm totally stumped as to how i'm going to win this one.

I'm glad there's no time limit on it.
Raptor
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

I have to admit i was'nt expecting positive feedback, its quite daunting submitting somthing to a dedicated community.

2-10-1, Thanks! I hope you feel the same way once you've played it though...

Geert, It was painstkingly drawn by hand in ms-paint then blurred and softened in PaintShop Pro, converted into a map using Mapgen and then touched up in game - its a method that yeilds very good results if you have the patience (plus i have paint at work... heheheh).

Plastikman, cool, what route did you take, id love a screenie but it would be a spoiler i guess?

thompson_fan, yep, as i said it took three tries, the most annoying thing is having built the line and bought 30 odd trains and given them orders, you find the gradient's too steep at one point or some other problem and have to start from scratch :D!, if you run in to trouble use electric locos its much easier then.
thompson_fan
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by thompson_fan »

oh it's not the available trains thats i found tricky.

It's finding the quickest and cheapest route to get the goal. I'm more used to running passenger trains as opposed to freight trains.
Raptor
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Passengers eh? Would you mind taking a look at this 'beta' then? Its 100% passenger orientated, but i cant put my finger on why its not as much fun as it should be...

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=23361
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

i ran the valley all the way! i got a little lost at one point. i could not see what was in one corner no matter how i turned the camera so that part i did tunnel, just because i was irritated. I tried to keep te map as realistic looking as i could with lomo. small grades here and there.

I actually have not finnished it yet. there is nothing else to do but watch at this point. (and replace old engines, not running any breakdown mods. lol hard to beta like that) i have it all optimised. i guess i could drop additional staions for more coal. i could go over or under the mountain range now that i have millions in cash... but my system is flowing so nice there is really no point in changing the mainline.also if i add more trains i might cause delays, not sure. i am already getting about 98-100% of the coal now as it is. i am getting about $250,000 per trainload and the trains are non-stop rolling in.

unlike most scenerios. where there are other things to do, this one really is locked to running coal.... i almost tossed some amtrak trains running the pass connecting the 2 big cities..... maybe i will still....

i posted some shots in the screenshot thread. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9916&start=824
US SET Ver 3.1.0 updated ~ Amtrak Pack 3.1.0 ~ US Passenger/Metro Set 3.1.0 updated~ Auto Factory 2.6 ~ VIA Rail Pack ~ LTD ED1 Conrail Alcos ~ LTD ED2 NJ Transit ~ DBR E60 ~ TGV Duplex ~ Umbrella Corp. ~ Comboios de Portugal~ Dekosoft UP/BN/BNSF Sets ~ ICE // MegaPack = 1.0.3.
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

Done! I bet you can do better.
Tip: Once you have anough money make a tunnel under the main mountain range. It alows you to transport the coal so much more quickely.
Attachments
done.PNG
done.PNG (130.15 KiB) Viewed 23509 times
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

alistairgrew wrote:Done! I bet you can do better.
Tip: Once you have anough money make a tunnel under the main mountain range. It alows you to transport the coal so much more quickely.
yah i bet it would.

i was having so much fun watching the trains in the valley, i didnt want to tunnel. i really wanted to keep the prototypical look. i doubt the railroads would have the billions to run a tunnel like that. might be fun to see a highspeed train through the rocky mountains. but you wont see it.

i had it down to a science with the signals to keep the trains rolling at about 55-70MPH through the valley. once i got the route laid i only spent money on signals and new trains. i had a nasty backup for a few years at the vally entrance. i totaly rebuilt th at a few times untill i found the best way. i also finally got signaling with waypoints down ot a science, i did not have one train take the wrong path this whole game. that might be a first for me.

adn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adn »

Please excuse my mod profanity. Plastikman what do you use to make your wagons look so nice?
TheGrew
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by TheGrew »

He converts them from MSTS
Plastikman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Plastikman »

adn wrote:Please excuse my mod profanity. Plastikman what do you use to make your wagons look so nice?
i used the US/Canadian train pack.. found in my signature :twisted:

but mostly, i used blood, sweat, and tears .. usually someone elses..... oh yeah and a little hair pulling out.....
teccuk
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by teccuk »

Wow i'm really glad some others enjoyed this map! And i haven't managed it in that sort of time so well done.

Wd Plastikman for retaining the photrealism, t'is certainly the way it meant to be played, and that looks lovely the way it slowly snakes up the pass :cry: its just so beautiful.

Haha, but yeah your right not much to do once its connected cept watch, i didnt find that a problem, and usually ended up linking the towns too.
adn
Engineer
Engineer

Post by adn »

Here is my entry for this scenario.
I took the tunnel approach but had very poor scalability. Which had me redesign the unloading station twice. I ended up with a double decker 8 tracks to unload and 4 separate loops (one per loading station).
Strategy wise, I choose to build a cheap cash loop from cloppenstadt and focus on getting the first tunnel ready asap. Once it is built, every 12 cars train yields 500k, let it run couple of times, each tunnel costs about 2.5~3 million.

Nice scenario. Thanks for the fun.

Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

This scenario almost makes me want to play Locomotion, never thought I'd ever say that...

Impressive mountain ranges, teccuk. Well done.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”