Red*Stars modern train station set [beta released]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Red*Stars modern train station set [beta released]

Post by Red*Star »

This is the Modern Train Stations Set (MTSS), made by Red*Star (graphics) and XeryusTC (coding).

!!! Download v1.0-beta from https://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=908360#p908360 !!!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
edit: The old "first post":

Didn't know where to post this else, and because OTTD is going 32bpp and just 3D graphic creation makes longer sense for it in my mind, I made a new thread here in the TTDPatch forum.

First of all, before you cry how damn big that thing is, and that it's too big and ugly and whatever comes into your mind ;) :
It's a work in progress, I know it's not very detailed, has wrong colors and looks kinda boring. (But, I mean, so many reinforced-concrete-buildings in the real world look also VERY boring.)
It's inspired by the german station Hannover Messe/Laatzen, but not an exact copy.

Now it's your turn: I can't decide me for a roof pattern (I mean the roof of the platform skywalks), so maybe you can help me a little bit. See "Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png", upper graphic (A) for the following questions:
The white roofs:
- cross striped or
- lengthwise striped as seen in the background one.
The grey roofs:
- bare
- striped
- striped and shaded or
- narrow striped as seen in the background skywalk.

Last but not least:
I can still modify the height of the building, and also think that it is needed... I don't know why, but although (see "Hannover Messe Laatzen.png" pic) my building is just 3 pixels taller than the big station hall of one of Michael Bluncks great stations, it looks disproportional higher, not to say "damn-huge" Wink. Maybe it's the "window" pattern... The "windows" which you see are something like 2-3 meters in height, but unfortunately they /seem/ to be bigger.

I've made also two variations of the Messe/Laatzen station: The one in the middle, (B) (in "Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png"), has less taller skywalks, the one below (C) has a smaller main hall. Maybe it would be the best to make a version which unites both variations, but first I would like to read your opinions.
Attachments
Hannover Messe Laatzen.png
Hannover Messe Laatzen.png (66.22 KiB) Viewed 39783 times
Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png
Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png (55.03 KiB) Viewed 39789 times
Last edited by Red*Star on 16 Oct 2010 00:28, edited 6 times in total.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Wow :shock: , looks very nice. :shock:

I also think the arch is a bit too big, therefore the example C looks best.
The roof should be a bit darker though, more like A maybe even a bit darker.
The skywalk with the narrow stripes looks the best if you ask me.
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

It looks beautiful!!!

Although, i would try and add some more ttd feeling to it (rougher colors on the roof. It looks a bit too smooth unless you want to create a set with buildings that are very smooth...) All in all an accomplishment!
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

hmmm, that looks quite nice. i agree on it not really being TTD-style, but who cares. it looks great! :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
khamura
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by khamura »

Of those choices, C gets my vote. There's something off with the lighting I think, though I can't place my finger on it. (I like the 'scales' on the main hall in the recent version.)
Graduate of the LeRoy Funkified Badass School of Soul
CPCNMAN007
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Train station similar to Hannover Messe/Laatzen

Post by CPCNMAN007 »

Red*Star wrote:Didn't know where to post this else, and because OTTD is going 32bpp and just 3D graphic creation makes longer sense for it in my mind, I made a new thread here in the TTDPatch forum.

First of all, before you cry how damn big that thing is, and that it's too big and ugly and whatever comes into your mind ;) :
It's a work in progress, I know it's not very detailed, has wrong colors and looks kinda boring. (But, I mean, so many reinforced-concrete-buildings in the real world look also VERY boring.)
It's inspired by the german station Hannover Messe/Laatzen, but not an exact copy.

Now it's your turn: I can't decide me for a roof pattern (I mean the roof of the platform skywalks), so maybe you can help me a little bit. See "Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png", upper graphic (A) for the following questions:
The white roofs:
- cross striped or
- lengthwise striped as seen in the background one.
The grey roofs:
- bare
- striped
- striped and shaded or
- narrow striped as seen in the background skywalk.

Last but not least:
I can still modify the height of the building, and also think that it is needed... I don't know why, but although (see "Hannover Messe Laatzen.png" pic) my building is just 3 pixels taller than the big station hall of one of Michael Bluncks great stations, it looks disproportional higher, not to say "damn-huge" Wink. Maybe it's the "window" pattern... The "windows" which you see are something like 2-3 meters in height, but unfortunately they /seem/ to be bigger.

I've made also two variations of the Messe/Laatzen station: The one in the middle, (B) (in "Hannover Messe Laatzen recent.png"), has less taller skywalks, the one below (C) has a smaller main hall. Maybe it would be the best to make a version which unites both variations, but first I would like to read your opinions.
Very very very very nice :shock: :shock: :shock:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

If you don't mind, but I think it could work in 256 colors aswell:
(needs a bit cleanup, but it doesn't look that bad consindered I only load a palette without any normal action colors)
Last edited by eis_os on 13 Feb 2006 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

I like B best, but I don't like oskar's version, the roof needs the lines or something like the original. THe structrue of it makes it looke more (for lack of a better word) building-ish. Very nice job, though!
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Thanks for the nice comments. After my last "big job" (in the OTTD thread) - after the oilrig-experience - I thought you would also here discerp me with criticism ;).

@eis_os: I don't know if I understood you right, but the sprite /is already/ 16bpp. Or what do you mean? ?(

@Caelan, astath and who also knocked against the non-TTD-ish look: That did I mean with the "kinda boring look" of it. Seems I have a talent for that :D
Well, time will tell. I hope to get the sprite as flamboyant as possible without destroying it's current charm.
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

16bpp is not 8 bit per pixel as TTD uses.

8bpp = 256 colors as in TTD... But with some cleanup and work your sprites could work in TTDPatch aswell in 256 color mode as I showed. (my png image is reduced to only the colors TTD has, 8bpp, if you download it and you have a decent graphic app you can see the reduced TTD palette I used.)

-edit-

Forget it, my graphic app got your png a bit wrong via the clipboard :D
On the other hand, I think you used special colors... I could be wrong however...
Last edited by eis_os on 13 Feb 2006 21:46, edited 2 times in total.
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

Red*Star wrote:@Caelan, astath and who also knocked against the non-TTD-ish look: That did I mean with the "kinda boring look" of it. Seems I have a talent for that :D
if it's one thing, it's certainly nót boring. it looks astonishing, really, no matter how dull the original might be. and imagine, if you like creating graphics this way, i wouldn't stop you creating a new graphic set entirely this style. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

astath wrote: if it's one thing, it's certainly nót boring. it looks astonishing, really, no matter how dull the original might be. and imagine, if you like creating graphics this way, i wouldn't stop you creating a new graphic set entirely this style. :)
*being embarrassed* thank u :)

Erm... unfortunately if I would create a complete graphic set I won't be ready until 2010 :(. Too much work to do for studies. (But I always wanted a reason for chuck it all up - so maybe this would be the right reason :lol: :lol: :lol:)

@eis_os: :oops: Sorry, I /meant/ 8bpp. Dunno how the 16 came into my mind... maybe because of the 16 colors in good old C64... (I am right, eh? C64 /had/ 16 colors, or not?)

However, the sprite /is/ created in 32bpp... sorry... 24bpp with 8bpp alpha channel (oh my goooood, too many numbers... *gettingconfused* :roll: ) and then converted via Photoshop to 8bpp standard TTDPatch colors.
"Special colors" are used, but I of course also have palettes without them (just were to lazy to switch to that palette...). Look at http://wiki.openttd.org/index.php/Graphics_Replacement, I also done some sprites, so I know what I'm doing, at least I assume that. (Except when working with numbers ;) )

Good n8

Red

PS: Sorry for the smiley-attack... Dunno why, but I fear I am completely messed up after this day. Have to go to bed...
Caelan
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Caelan »

Exactly, i am all in for a new style in ttd, have been trying to create some new buildings of my own, and they are improving i must say...Perhaps in time :D
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

I think it's brilliant, and is very similar to Zimmlock's airport in TTRS 2, so would make a lovely airport-railway station combo.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

Very nice! :D I think B version is the best.
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

It is similar to Zimmlocks airport, and you could easail make a skybridge like this :D I'm sure Red*Star could do it better, but............
Attachments
hanovermockup.jpg
hanovermockup.jpg (82 KiB) Viewed 39241 times
It's not me in my avatar, it's a time lord!

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so.
-Douglas Adams
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

SuperTycoon wrote:I think it's brilliant, and is very similar to Zimmlock's airport in TTRS 2, so would make a lovely airport-railway station combo.
Uhmm, maybe I also should make the Hannover airport?

*thinking*

Noooooo. :lol:

The skybridge is a very nice idea. It also makes the station sprite layout more symmetrical. Btw: You should know, that there is really a skybridge in the original ;): Connecting the Hannover Messe area (where the EXPO 2000 was) with the train station. I'm often passing it when I went home by train because Hannover is a big railway junction.
Red*Star
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Red*Star »

Well, "you have chosen" ;):
Then THIS will be the version I'll spend work on in the near future or something.
Attachments
nextversion.png
nextversion.png (16.42 KiB) Viewed 39157 times
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

Cool, seems to fit the TTD palette too, nice work.
Should be nice to see this when it's all done.

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

This looks excellent.

I may have misjudged pre-rendered graphics initially, this has a lot of, hmm, soul to it. I honestly thought it was hand drawn till I saw the accurate reflections in the windows..
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!

Return to “Graphics Development”