Placing signals

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
Jacques
Engineer
Engineer

Placing signals

Post by Jacques »

Although I have studied all the litterature, articles, hints etc. on the correct placing of signals, I keep having problems such as trains standing face to face (even on double track) and refusing to budge, or worse, being rewarded with costly crashes (especially in Transport Tycoon and Locomotion). The only game that allows you to experiment is Simutrans, but even there I cannot find info on the exact situations I need anywhere; most explanations are showing such complicated layouts, usually of many-tracked stations, that I lose myself in them. So after several years of not seeing the woods for the trees, or vice versa, I am asking for your help on the following:

I have prepared some scans of drawings I made for the simple situations that I’m looking for. My main problem is that I never know whether to place single or double signals, and how to place them.
I just know that I want a signal to be on the right side of the track, facing oncoming traffic. I know I will be considered stupid and can expect some disdainful and scathing comments, but would be very grateful if somebody out there can find the time and inclination to edit and annotate these screenshots (which I cannot append hereto as there are 11 variants averaging 265KB each, the total exceeding the limit allowed here, so I hope some willing railroad enthusiast will give me his/her e-mail address, enabling me to send them, one at a time if necessary); and annotate them with the correct placing and type of signals for any of the above mentioned 3 games (I am posting this request on all the relevant forums), and using the folowing symbols:

S= Single signal
D= Double signal (connected to the influenced other signal by a line).
If possible, show [green ball] or [red ball] to indicate the setting it should start out with. Or if a 3-way signal is recommended, maybe also [yellow ball].

I would suggest printing these screenshots, then editing them and sending me scans of the edits as attachments. Even if somebody takes months to do one now and then, I shall be very grateful for any help.

I am using variations on the following in my screenshots:

Main line (<> for single track, used in both directions, and < or > for double track);
Bypass on main line;
Freight sidetrack. These are the situations I constantly try to use in my layouts.

Sit.1: Single track main line with freight sidetrack deadending at industrial site.
Sit.2: Ditto with frt.sidetrack ending in loop at industrial site. Train exits via loop.
Sit.2a: Here the loop is used for any second train waiting its turn. Original train turns around in place when finished.
Sit.3: Ditto with frt.sidetrack splitting at destination into incoming & outgoing frt., each deadending.
Sit.4: Ditto, but track splitting into 2 loops, one for incoming and one for outgoing frt.
Sit.5: Double track main line with freight sidetrack on one side, deadending at ind. site, but returning onto main line either to the right or to the left.
Sit.6: Double track main line with frt.sidetrack ending in loop at ind.site, but returning as in Sit.5.
Sit.6a: Same variation as in 2a.
Sit.7: Double track main line, splitting as in Sit.3, returning as in Sit.5.
Sit.8: Double track with frt. sidetrack splittinbg into 2 loops as in Sit.4, each returning as in Sit.5.
Sit.9: Single track main line with simple bypass, on either one or the otber side.

Note: Freight sidetracks will not double as bypasses for the main line with either single or double tracks. Loops at industrial sites are for trains leaving after loading or unloading (Sits.2 & 6). or for new arrivals waiting to load or unload, if there should be any (Sits.2a & 6a).

Many thanks ! Maybe I can finally stop avoiding the use of signals, as I have been doing ! Jack Verheydt (j.verheydt@netzero.com or hetnet.nl).
JackV.

Return to “Simutrans”