[OTTD] Scenarios

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Im thinking a mega-rail style tropical & temperate & arctic scenarios would be very nice..

I.e a newbie can look at these maps and learn how to do networks with complex signal layouts and such.

I learned much from megarail at start of my TTD days.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I think many people did pre-community. It was the only reference.
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Born Acorn wrote::shock:

If the devs don't add that, Ill go and buy a gun.....
No need to do so :) It was a long time, but soon everybody will play these maps :D
Akalamanaia wrote:Im thinking a mega-rail style tropical & temperate & arctic scenarios would be very nice..

I.e a newbie can look at these maps and learn how to do networks with complex signal layouts and such.

I did, too. If there are any maps like that, please give me the link :)
Scia
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Scia »

:D My scenario is also on the list. I'm very happy with this. I'll submit the changes to that scenario after this post/scenario.

With all the scenario talk today, I realised that I still had a scenario under construction that only needed some finishing.

This scenario has a strong resemblence with BigRiver. But this time it is in the sub-tropical climate. It is inspired on the Brasilian landscape. Everything that you see is made by hand. What I mean is that no Landscapegenerator was used. Most of the hills are heavily erroded by the wet climate.

Note: If you want to create a Lumber Mill, you have to clear some land, plant the 4th tree type on it. Now it is suitable for a Lumber Mill. Thats only a minor bug, which you can solve like this. Many thanks to peter1138 who pointed out how to solve this problem.

As always, comments are welcome.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Scia
Attachments
Rusty Paradise.scn
This scenario is compatible for version 0.4.0.1 and up.
(459.32 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
A telescope on a starshaped mountain. A Space institute at the foot of the mountain.
A telescope on a starshaped mountain. A Space institute at the foot of the mountain.
detail.png (659.37 KiB) Viewed 9623 times
The compressed minimap. The map is 512x512.
The compressed minimap. The map is 512x512.
minimap.png (153.71 KiB) Viewed 9621 times
Scia
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Scia »

Here is the modified BigRiver. I added some industries and only made some minor changes to the landscape to fit industries on them.

Regards,

Scia
Attachments
Bigriver 1.1.scn
512x512 map for version 0.4.0.1 and up.
(498.74 KiB) Downloaded 340 times
Killer 11
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Killer 11 »

So my map is merged!
Thankyou very much!
BTW i'll do a 1024x1024 soon
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Killer 11: It will be merged, but it isn't yet :wink:

Scia: Both maps are really nice :) Good job.

However I'd like you (all) to remove all copyright signs because:
*Your scenarios will go open-source
*In the future scenarios may contain additional data like author
mpettitt
Engineer
Engineer

Post by mpettitt »

Oooh!

Thank you for picking my scenario. I've taken note of the points raised, and will have a poke at it so it is worthy of inclusion! :-)

Now, need to dig out a copy of the game... :-P
Pon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pon »

MeusH wrote: Island chain
Great map, especially for ships :) The only think that could be improved is that lot of space is unused (south-west part of the map)
Pon wrote:Hope it's not too bad for a first attempt :)
Guess it wasn't that bad after all...! :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'll work on the suggested changes, as time permits. Currently I'm quite busy, what with Christmas being nearly upon us, so it may take a week or so before I have anything worth posting.
Scia
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Scia »

Very well, no problem. Feel free to delete it. Or do you want me to delete it because otherwise you are feeling you are still breaking the copyright?

Regards,

Scia
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Scia wrote:Very well, no problem. Feel free to delete it. Or do you want me to delete it because otherwise you are feeling you are still breaking the copyright?

Regards,

Scia
Just remove it when uploading the most final version
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

OK. Latest version of AFRICA! v0.47

Done:
Terrain import. Deserts & shading.
Towns & Cities everywhere.
Primary industries - Africa complete. Most of MEast done. Ive tried to place the industries in sensible locations. Where Ive known of specific geography of resources, Ive placed some there. (eg. Kimberly Diamond mine).
Trees sorted.
Some secondary industries.

To do: Playtest!

This is the HARD version of the map. It is a 1024x1024 map, but only has 5 Food Processing plants, 5 Factories, and 16 Oil Refineries. You are meant to make profits elsewhere... passengers, etc., and then build your own secondary industries where you want them. Lots of scope for Lumber mills, but you may need to build some factories.

Oil Refineries are mainly in the Middle East. Ive put a reasonable number on, as it will be impossible to build new ones, unless 0.4.5 includes the "build Oil Refineries anywhere" patch.

The computer AI does not like this map much. It needs lots of secondaries near the primary industries. It will also never build a secondary, so it cant get the most out of this map.

Have fun!

MeusH - this will be ready for a v1.0 release with 0.4.5 once I have feedback.
Attachments
Africa047.scn
Africa v0.47. Works on r3271. I cant/wont guarantee it will work on earlier versions. Designed for OpenTTD 0.4.5 release. (tm) ;)
(667.85 KiB) Downloaded 662 times
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Want to organise your trains? Try Routemarkers.
--- ==== --- === --- === ---
Firework Photography
nicfer
Director
Director

Post by nicfer »

I am working in a scenario called 'richland' in that the diamond mines are near the center of the map, and the objective is transport the most possible. This scenario is ideal for playing in hard dificulty because there are lumber mills at the start, and if you select easy in the difficulty, the game will be too easy. Version of the scenario r3308; size 128x512; status: WIP. Comments are welcome.

EDIT: For those that want play africa scenario in 0.4.0.1 I advert you that I tested making it and NOT WORKED, I get a game load failed error.
Attachments
Richland.scn
(32.5 KiB) Downloaded 334 times
Sorry for my english I am argentinian
TTO don't crashes in Windows XP; XP crashes TTO

Formerly known as UnderBuilder.

MyMiniCity
osai
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by osai »

richk, great to see some progress on your scenario again... testing will be our turn :)
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

osai wrote:richk, great to see some progress on your scenario again... testing will be our turn :)
Thanks. Its pretty much done. If playtesting shows its well balanced (OK at hard), then I'd say its ready. But at 1024x1024, it does need checking.
OTTD NewGRF_ports. Add an airport design via newgrf.Superceded by Yexo's NewGrf Airports 2
Firework Photography
0beron
Engineer
Engineer

Post by 0beron »

MeusH wrote: Archipelago
This is a very good beginning for a map. There are two things I'd change: Add some (three?) cities, add more industries (10?) and add trees on the desert (cactoo trees)
Wow! Thanks for honouring my scenario with the possibility of inclusion. I'll put in the requested fixes and repost. I'm travelling tomorrow and will be without computer/web access for two days but can have it done shortly thereafter. When is the projected 0.4.5 release date?

Some questions:
When you say 'cities' do you mean three more random towns, or three towns of city size that start that big in 1950?

Another issue I encountered when playing this scenario myself was that a lot of the small towns in the desert are not large enough to accept food as cargo - thus they never grow, thus they never accept food etc etc, making them dead towns. Do these need to be made bigger?

The towns in the jungle are very harsh on your ratings since there are so many trees for you to destroy - shall I add some fuzzy clear patches near some jungle towns, or leave it as is since that is part of the challenge of the tropical climate?

There's no copyright notice in the map, but would you mind terribly if I put a sign in a far corner somewhere to let people know the map author?
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Updated: Canyonero v2

Flat boring valleys at NW, SE, have gained rivers, lakes, some extra hills/promontories, etc. The river now flows all the way from the new dammed lake at SE to the large lake at SW. (OK.. they are at the same level, but you know what I mean!! :wink: )

Added a selection of extra industries into blankish areas of map.

If it passes MeusH approval, ready for release. :P
Attachments
Canyonero2.scn
Yes, thats nearly 2Mb! Its only a 1024x1024 scenario, but there is tons of detail. No rocks, lighthouses, or antennas... so sculpt away!
(1.88 MiB) Downloaded 428 times
Firework Photography
richk67
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by richk67 »

Another one for consideration...

Ganges Delta.... maybe just rename it "Delta"

Its a 1024x1024 tropical, with the land PNGd from a satellite photo of the Ganges delta. I took quite a while cleaning up the rivers. Almost all of the main rivers and tributaries and cross-cuts are all navigable.

This may be a map where the boat is king! Rail will be very expensive with lots and lots of bridges to build. As its a delta, the terrain is very flat.... I mean FLAT! (Maybe its the Canyonero biteback!! :shock: ) The highest tile is a 3!

I wonder whether this would be better:
a) done in temperate - for oil rigs offshore, and forests that dont need tropical trees. (As tropical trees are pretty much height related, and the map is flat, there isnt any obvious lumber area on the map).
b) renamed with Indian names, rather than default english ones.

Comments please.
Attachments
Small part of the river delta
Small part of the river delta
screenshot #8.png (35.19 KiB) Viewed 1600 times
GangesDelta.scn
1024x1024 tropical... flat with lots of rivers
(720.12 KiB) Downloaded 449 times
Firework Photography
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

I'd like to thank you all for your amazing work. You are all doing your best. Treat my comments as tips, not orders, because you are authors of the maps. But please consider my comments, they are meant to improve your work.
richk67 wrote:OK. Latest version of AFRICA! v0.47
It is almost perfect! The terrain is a difficult bareer to pass, I see towns, industries :) In my opinion think it lacks some towns (about 3) in Europe (Greece, Italy (including Sicily) is almost empty).
I can complain only about emptyness of ocean. You've missed some islands, perfect for Hovercrafts and airplanes: Ascencion island and St Helena island on the Atlantic Ocean.
Seychelles islands and many more around Madagascar in Indian Ocean.
SLaY3r wrote:I am working in a scenario called 'richland' in that the diamond mines are near the center of the map
SLaY3r, I think your map is flat and lack features. Your idea of dividing it into 5 parts is very good, but quality is poor. Coasts should be interesting, and certainly not rectangular. Use the raise land tool, or even make the heightmap and import it to OTTD
0beron wrote:When you say 'cities' do you mean three more random towns, or three towns of city size that start that big in 1950?

Another issue I encountered when playing this scenario myself was that a lot of the small towns in the desert are not large enough to accept food as cargo - thus they never grow, thus they never accept food etc etc, making them dead towns. Do these need to be made bigger?

The towns in the jungle are very harsh on your ratings since there are so many trees for you to destroy - shall I add some fuzzy clear patches near some jungle towns, or leave it as is since that is part of the challenge of the tropical climate?

There's no copyright notice in the map, but would you mind terribly if I put a sign in a far corner somewhere to let people know the map author?
Three more random towns - some areas are just too empty

Build water towers in some, and water supplies some distance away

I like your idea of "patches" - it shouldn't be everywhere, but some routes should have that patches. Note trees will fill the patches soon, so make them 2 tiles wide in some places and of course make them difficult and long - don't make straight patches from town to town, since it would be too easy.

Copyright issue will be discussed, but I'm with "metadata" of file containing information like scenario author. Let developers say
richk67 wrote:Updated: Canyonero v2
It is great! I really like the heightmap and industry placement - I haven't spotted coal mines below the snowline, which I like because coal is pretty valuable. However, some rocks and some lighthouses would be nice to see. If you don't want them, don't do them - it's your scenario. I'm just giving tips.

richk67 wrote:Ganges Delta.... maybe just rename it "Delta"

This may be a map where the boat is king! Rail will be very expensive with lots and lots of bridges to build. As its a delta, the terrain is very flat.... I mean FLAT! (Maybe its the Canyonero biteback!! :shock: ) The highest tile is a 3!

I wonder whether this would be better:
a) done in temperate - for oil rigs offshore, and forests that dont need tropical trees. (As tropical trees are pretty much height related, and the map is flat, there isnt any obvious lumber area on the map).
b) renamed with Indian names, rather than default english ones.
Yeah, it is flat sometimes :) If you're not putting desert there, it may be good to make map in temperate. However, tropical landscape is more suitable for it.
But the biggest issue is not the grass colour, but water. There is really lot of water, and about 30% of map is not used.
What I suggest is to reduce the heightmap a bit to import it on two times smaller map, or add some islands there. By islands I mean some big land areas with towns, industries, hills and trees.

Hindu names would be a nice thing to do. Also I like the idea of lots of water to favour ships a bit :) Some more obstacles on the flatlands would be nice thing to do, but I know - it's delta :D

About the name - do as you wish, but consider there is also other "Delta" map. However, if you are the first one who finishes the map, your map's name will stay.
KING
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by KING »

Akalamanaia wrote:Im thinking a mega-rail style tropical & temperate & arctic scenarios would be very nice..

if people want i`ll make a bunch of saves for rail tracks like the old mega rail map. (and the 2nd scotland one)

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”