Path-based signalling preview and test version

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

A double signalbug : train 6 will choose the wrong way at the upcoming PBS junction because train 139 "blocks" the double signal just after the depot.
Removing the double signal makes everything work again, I.e. train 6 will choose the right way again.
I however use this kind of setup to prevent lockups as the train have an escape route into the depot.
Attachments
TRP00.rar
(402.19 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
Screeny.png
Screeny.png (52.15 KiB) Viewed 5434 times
ttdpatch.cfg
(32.39 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Ok, the double signal bug mentioned abvove doesn't seem to be repaired completely.
Most of the time it works but every now and then a train decides differently and just passes the brach it should take, screwing up my flow of trains.

My ttdpatch.cfg file hasn't changed since the above posting.
Attachments
TRP01.rar
The save is from just before train 6 makes the wrong discision.
(397.07 KiB) Downloaded 157 times
Train 6 however decides differently. It just passes the junction and goes on it's way, stopping at a PBS signal a way down the line after passing waypoint Hulst West. It wants to go to Hulst West but it can't so it waits quite a long time, trying to decid
Train 6 however decides differently. It just passes the junction and goes on it's way, stopping at a PBS signal a way down the line after passing waypoint Hulst West. It wants to go to Hulst West but it can't so it waits quite a long time, trying to decid
SCR6.png (134.55 KiB) Viewed 635 times
Train 100 does what it is supposed to do, entering the depot to clear the mainline if the double signal just after the depot is red.
Train 100 does what it is supposed to do, entering the depot to clear the mainline if the double signal just after the depot is red.
SCR5.png (129.26 KiB) Viewed 5274 times
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Well, since it's not a PBS junction, it's not a PBS problem and so due to a limitation in TTD's path finding.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Indeed it is.
I disabled pathbasedsignalling and the train still takes the wrong route. :cry:
Still the best OS around
Marshy
Director
Director

Post by Marshy »

So..many...trains..
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Found another, probably old bug.

If train 73 turns around, either manually or if the signalwaittime has passed (due to a network lockup), and it reaches the the PBS exit signal in front of the tunnel it will turn around again, but then train 223 also gets the green light and will crash into train 73. :cry:

It must have been an old bug because I think most of my crashes are caused by this but I never got around to catch it, since I was to busy solving the lockup in my network.

ps if I change the PBS exit signal into a normal signal the bug doesn't happen.
Attachments
TRP00.zip
(457.23 KiB) Downloaded 143 times
To get the crash just force train 73 to turn around. When it reaches the PBS exitsignal in front of the tunnel it will turn around again and train 223 will start to move aswell.
To get the crash just force train 73 to turn around. When it reaches the PBS exitsignal in front of the tunnel it will turn around again and train 223 will start to move aswell.
SCR5.png (62.08 KiB) Viewed 5170 times
Still the best OS around
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Train 17 (the one waiting at the signal, headed for the depot) needs to reverse but cannot do so safely.

(Methinks having "signal2waittime 2" might be causing a few problems with my terminus stations. But it helps keep my Ro-ros from getting jammed. Maybe I need to move my depots out of the PBS blocks?)
Attachments
save&cfg.zip
(150.41 KiB) Downloaded 126 times
SCR1.png
SCR1.png (18.73 KiB) Viewed 5077 times
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

DaleStan wrote:But it helps keep my Ro-ros from getting jammed
A trick for Ro-Ros.

axb-c*************dx-
axb-c*************dx-

a = approach signal (one-way pbs presignal entry).
b = two way pbs presignal combo.
c = one way pbs presignal exit.
d = starter signal.
x = crossover
* = platform

Note there must be a reservable tile between b and c.

Using this layout, trains will pick a platform (because b is a two-way signal), but they will never try to go back the way they came (because c is a one-way signal).

I always have signal waittime set to 0. That is the most realistic and the most predictable.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Yes indeed, I invented this station style months ago, but I've never seen anyone else use it. It works quite nicely. The only trouble is that you do have to have enough room for all the signals and spacing.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

PikkaBird wrote:
DaleStan wrote:But it helps keep my Ro-ros from getting jammed
A trick for Ro-Ros.
No, what causes my problem is the depot. I do know enough to turn reverse-at-stations off; occasionally I wish it were on, but it solves far more problems than it causes.

Code: Select all

D
axb***********dx-
axb***********dx-
Same, but with D==depot.

I guess I should have said "move my depots out of the presignal blocks".
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

DaleStan wrote:I do know enough to turn reverse-at-stations off
I usually have that one on. :lol:

I haven't had any real problems with depots, but I always give my trains servicing as part of their orders, so I always know which direction the trains will be trying to get into the depots from (and where they'll want to go when they leave).
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

I've encoutered a new/old PBS bug, sadly but true. :cry:

If a train stops with his rear end just inside the PBS block, and then tries to turn around (signalwaittime has passed) the Patch Safety Measure (PMS) kicks in and stops the train from turning incase the PBS junction behind it is occupied.
However the PMS fails in this case because the reserved track behind the stopped train is cleared by this action and the upcoming trains crash into the stopped train.
Attachments
Clipboard1.png
Clipboard1.png (59.98 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
Clipboard.png
Clipboard.png (41.67 KiB) Viewed 4760 times
Still the best OS around
Dustin
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Remote PBS trains crashing.

Post by Dustin »

Trains crash at this station, but only when I am modifiying PBS junctions in other parts of the system.

I can't reproduce this bug on demand. But with this station setup and a lot of trains coming into and out of it, I sometimes get crashes in the entrance. I can leave the game running for (game) years and nothing bad happens. It's only when I am changing signals someplace that the crashes occur.

version info

Code: Select all

TTDPatch V2.0.1 alpha 67 (Windows) starting.
TTDLOADW.OVL not found, looking for original files:
Copying GAMEGFX.EXE to TTDLOADW.OVL
This is the Windows executable.
The program name is:
  Transport Tycoon (Deluxe) V3.02.011 Copyright (C) 1995 Chris Sawyer
The exact version is 3.02.011  11th October 1996 17:23:14
Parsed version is V3.02.011, size 1695744
Setting program size to 8.5 MB.
Installing code loader.
TTDLOADW.OVL is OK.
This version of the program has known addresses.
Starting TTDLOADW.OVL off
Result: [OK]
Attachments
Station works well for lots of trains with 5-7 cars. Unless you fiddle with PBS junctions in another part of the system. I have had crashes while working on a junction over halfway across the map. (But connected by rail to this station)
Station works well for lots of trains with 5-7 cars. Unless you fiddle with PBS junctions in another part of the system. I have had crashes while working on a junction over halfway across the map. (But connected by rail to this station)
PBS Crash Station.png (29.04 KiB) Viewed 4499 times
savegameAndConfigs.zip
Save game with sample, patch config and graphics config
(111.65 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

I'm afraid that if it's not reproducible, I won't be able to fix it.

Note however, that this station entrance has a problem anyway: it's too big. No train will ever enter the last platform, and no train coming from the right lane will ever enter the last three platforms. The reason is that PBS paths are limited to no more than 7 junction tiles.

I doubt that's the reason for the crashes, but without being able to reproduce the crash myself I can't say more than that.
Josef Drexler

No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Dustin
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dustin »

PBS is the most brillaint thing since pre-signals.
Patchman wrote:I'm afraid that if it's not reproducible, I won't be able to fix it.
Fair enough. I spent hours and hours trying to get a clean repro with no luck. Just be aware that there may be a race condition that happens when a new PBS junction is setup someplace else.

Pathcman wrote: Note however, that this station entrance has a problem anyway: it's too big. No train will ever enter the last platform, and no train coming from the right lane will ever enter the last three platforms. The reason is that PBS paths are limited to no more than 7 junction tiles.
It is just 7 tiles by my count. See screenshot. In practice this station is handling a lot of traffic with great throughput. I have an altered design that never has crashes, but it's isn't quite as effecient.
I doubt that's the reason for the crashes, but without being able to reproduce the crash myself I can't say more than that.
I think that trains reversing have something to do with the crashes. This station can get backed up and the trains come out of the station due to me allowing them to reverse in stations.
Attachments
This variation doesn suffer crashes, and uses the same sized footprint. It's not quite as effecient.
This variation doesn suffer crashes, and uses the same sized footprint. It's not quite as effecient.
nocrash.png (70.45 KiB) Viewed 644 times
A train on the right reserving a path to the farthest platform.
A train on the right reserving a path to the farthest platform.
pbs crash station with trains.png (59.7 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Dustin wrote:It is just 7 tiles by my count. See screenshot.
You're right, I counted some tiles as junction tiles that weren't.

Well, let me know if you can somehow reproduce it, then I can have a look.
Josef Drexler

3iff
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by 3iff »

I've had something similar but non-reproducible. A large station with relatively limited exit choices where trains wishing to leave the station end up reversing.

You might be able to avoid the problem by setting signalwaittimes far higher.
Dustin
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Dustin »

3iff wrote:I've had something similar but non-reproducible. A large station with relatively limited exit choices where trains wishing to leave the station end up reversing.

You might be able to avoid the problem by setting signalwaittimes far higher.
This is pretty much right on. I set my signalwaittime for signals 1 and 2 to 255 and the trains don't crash anymore.

After spending some time trying to isolate a reproduceable crash, I determined the problem was due to reversing trains as in the problem describe a few messages up.

Return to “General TTDPatch”