Better tunnels and bridge support.

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

nlhans
Engineer
Engineer

Better tunnels and bridge support.

Post by nlhans »

What we now have is (what I think) very basic. For a tunnel you make a small hill, click on tunnel and place where the exit or entrance of the tunnel would be. For a bridge, just drag where the bridge must be. If you play in a map with lots and lots of water, you need to build lots and lots of bridges. Now you cant place signals on bridges, so you could move all the ground up for your network (expensive) or life with the fact every train has to wait before the other train is off the bridge. In a hilly map it's the same.. lot's of tunnels.. Moving the hills down is expensive, building even more tunnels is also expensive (and sometimes not possible).

So my idea is.. make tunnels and bridge's like you can make underground footpatches in Roller Coaster Tycoon (2 ). So you can build tunnels with curves, signals etc. Maybe a great idea to make it possible to make complete junction's under ground (and above water). Ofcourse there would also be limits.. For example a bridge can only hold a certain amount of weight a time else the bridge will fall down with the result your trains are crashed. For tunnels there is also a maximum surface possible. For e.g. 100 squares. Ofcourse these limits would be higher if you built a stronger construction (more expensive). This would also make a balance for bridges with speed and strength: A strong bridge which hold up to 1000 tons a time or you want a bridge where trains can drive 400mph but can only hold like 400 tons a time ?

Ofcourse, you can make the bridges support even such good that you can build layers of stations. and build complete tracks in the air (like Locomotion). That would be awesome! Though I think hard to develop (pity I can't program that well C++, though C# is pretty good here :/)

Hopefully I would see this feature in OpenTTD. Thanks guys :)
webfreakz.nl
Director
Director
Location: Localhost, 127.0.0.1, [The Netherlands: South Holland-> Westland]

Post by webfreakz.nl »

i like the idea of signals on bridged, but isn't this asked before? :roll:
# Programming is like sex, one mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life. (Michael Sinz)
Death
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Death »

I think you're right, I think it has suggested before.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Those ideas sound good, and I expect evetually something like that will be done, but at the moment there just isn't enough room in the map array. Currently everything is stored in a 2-dimensional array, and for the floating tiles and complicated tunnels we would really need a 3-dimensional array. Once the new map array is done, something like this should be easy to add, but until then you will have to wait.

Also the game is programmed in C, not C++. :P
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
belugas
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: Better tunnels and bridge support.

Post by belugas »

nlhans wrote:So you can build tunnels with curves, signals etc. Maybe a great idea to make it possible to make complete junction's under ground (and above water).
Although signals on bridge/tunnel have been discussed, I don't remember seen discussions on curves underground, nor junctions...
I know we should wait until the new map array (or whatever the name :oops: ), but still it is interresting.
}T{Reme [Q_G]
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by }T{Reme [Q_G] »

Hmm yeah.. this by no way will fit in the current array.
Siggy not gonna work unless someone allows javascripting...
bobingabout
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by bobingabout »

the curved tunnels and such is the subways idea which isn't planned for a very long time.(would require an underground view for constructions)

also, i just had an idea. ever seen the costom bridgehead thread?

imo, you should be able to build diaganal briddges too, aswell as signals on bridges. with the costom bridgeheads. and the ability to build those bridges over more things, such as junctions, or track with signals on.

i've seen work on just about anything but the signals on bridges part, and diaganal bridges.
JPG SUX!!! USE PNG!!!
There are times when JPG is useful, TTD screenshots is not one of them. Please use PNG instead.

[/url]
Master Trams
Engineer
Engineer

Re: Better tunnels and bridge support.

Post by Master Trams »

Certainly, adding a weight restriction to bridges is something I would like to see, especially since I tend to play in a realistic fashion with a main line and branch lines... At the moment I find that I can put even the heaviest locomotives on meager branch lines, which really isn't realistic, especially if they're going over a wooden bridge! However, one thing I reckon would be good modification to this feature, is rather than bridge types having these parameters preset, when you build a bridge, you drag, then select the maximum speed from a drop down menu, then from another drop down menu, you select the weight limit. After that, the game will give you the "most suitable" bridge types to build. The way this would be calculated is as follows:
I've already said that bridges wouldn't have the values preset, rather, they would be preset to a range of values.
I love distracting myself from my day job by doing my day job thanks to OpenTTD JGR!

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”