Google Maps(Building design,layout,etc)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Ethical
Engineer
Engineer

Google Maps(Building design,layout,etc)

Post by Ethical »

Not trying to make a plug for google, But theres just so many things visable from the satelite pictures, that I thought I just had to let anyone designing buildings or trying to come up with any differing road format to go take a look.

Pretty much everything, Industrial, resedential, stations, boats, planes, roads and rail.

I have been a devout follower, but never yet signed up till now so please if you are designing things and finding it hard to come up with anything good, go take a look.

Also.. I think if people actualy find some good references, they could post a placemark link(google map location format) or if they use the online version, just right click on the 'Link to this page' and copy link location into this thread maybe.

For the downloadable version, it's earth.google.com
Which still fetches it's maps from the google main map server, but with the ability to save and load placemarks, tilt the view into a 3D veiw, and you get a contour/satelite hybrid, showing hills and mountains.. pretty cool.

For the online version for people not running windows its maps.google.com
Just make sure you select the satelite veiw if you wanna get the satelite pics instead of normal road directory version.
Left click and drag to move the map. Play around with the zoom till you understand how it all works.

Anyway, sorry if I didn't follow things to code, I just think this is a great resource to use.

SamuelJPorter
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Ethical... we know about the excistence of google maps. :wink:
I think this might be the wrong forum to post this. :)
Ethical
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ethical »

Its just I always keep seeing people designing and redesigning thier industry tiles because they don't have a very good idea of what they look like.. Not so much as to let people know about the google maps, so much as a resource for finding some good examples, common layout style.. I plan to look at a few in some more detail and use it as practice for my 3D skills for entering into the game.. maybe It's better off in the Graphics forum..
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

Ethical wrote: It's better off in the Graphics forum..
i would agree with that. (assuming its about the graphics being designed, and not general layouts of stations...)

and yes you are always welcome to learn 3d and add graphics to OTTD's new development.

Alltaken
Ethical
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ethical »

I'll have a look in the wiki for available things and take a look around on google maps for some references and get to it now :D

Any chance an admin can move this to graphics maybe..? Or can I do it.. *looks around for a relocate button"

Return to “OpenTTD Development”