Old vs New Interface

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Interface, old or new?

Keep the old interface
4%
Use the old interface, but modernise fonts and icons
8%
Have both via skins (if possible)
51%
Replace with new interface
37%

Total votes: 127

joed
Engineer
Engineer

Old vs New Interface

Post by joed »

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=342099#342099

I'm getting conflicting feedback on if I go ahead with this new interface or not. Hence a poll. Also, is there anyone who is interested in coding the revised interface if we go with it?

Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

The interface will hopefully become skinable. so people wanting the old interface can change the files in their directory and be happy.

hence keep working on this. I personally want to see "this" interface put into the 32bpp edition as the default interface when the version of OTTD is released.

basicly the public has no playable version of 32bpp yet, and it won't be around for a while, so we have whatever time we need to sort things out.

basicly people wanting the current stuff have no reason to complain because they can always use the current stuff, or they can make it look like the current stuff.

you have had very very constructive feedback, people saying otherwise are few and far between.

this is the interface (with jens buttons) that i endorse whole heartedly.

p.s. we should not have "both" skins by default, the old interface skin should be "downloadable" as an extradownload, as any other skins could be (i am usre someone will make an Aqua skin for it LOL)

but since skins will just be a replacement of elements i don't see why we cannot have a skinning system.

Alltaken
joed
Engineer
Engineer

Post by joed »

Alltaken wrote:you have had very very constructive feedback, people saying otherwise are few and far between.
OK, just needed the re-assurance incase people were having other ideas. That's true, the feedback has been great.

Seems that the new interface has majority as well w00t :)

I'll try and get in contact with Jen on those buttons.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

I would want to choose between both. If the new interface has no practical or functional advantages, then it's all a matter of taste, so IMO people should be able to choose between these things.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

Ow I like the skin idea, just like in Winamp! :)
That way, everyone can be happy, (also with easy to use skin tool to make your own! :) )
oboka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oboka »

I don't see the point of spending time and resources in coding an skineable interface. This interface looks fantastic! The old window style could be matained as an option for nostalgics, but I don't know why we should have more posible interfaces... This is not a music player...
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

As if a music player must have many skins, (it's just for playing music) I think that you look at the interface of a game more than the interface of a music player, so why not a 'skinable' game interface? I thought that it was a good idea.
Novatlan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Novatlan »

A skinnable interface IS indeed a very good idea!
But: OTT is a huge game. At the moment, new versions are released every 3 months (real version, not nightlies).
I think everyone agrees that a new engine is most important and the first thing to do. But even with a lot of developers the new engine will take a very long time.
What I want to say: Development seems to be hard work (since I am no dev, I can't know if it is). The more the devs have to do, the longer the new engine will take to implent in the game.
So I think, first the engine should be completed, with all graphics and the new interface. When this is done, skins could be coded, but not earlier!
Same goes to all ohter things. Of couse, I like new features, but the question is: How many of these new features will need a complete rework when the new engine is done? Why do every work two times?

If i'm talking rubbish, sorry. Then just delete this post.
Sacro
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sacro »

I think skinnable interfaces are a better idea, at least then, people with lower system specs can choose if they want to use them or not, or people that don't like them can choose a style they're happy with.

I would love to help with programming/implementation, I just need to get my programming skills a little better, and internet access back!
We Am De Best

Host of ThroughTheTube site
Lockwood
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Lockwood »

Simpler skins do not boost performance. in a case like this.
If the engine is trying to render stuff in 32bit colour, and you pass it a dichromatic image, it will still try and do it in 32bpp.
An option to have 32, 16 or 8 bpp graphics would help performance issues though.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

skinnable is the best idea, that way everybody can have the UI in colours they like..
Arael
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arael »

Skins.

I like the idea of a new, modernized UI for the new version, but I hate the color (and particularly the fonts ><).
- So, here's this train full of illegal alcohol. I stamp here, and all the alcohol magically evaporates, leaving pure mineral water...
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Arael wrote:Skins.

I like the idea of a new, modernized UI for the new version, but I hate the color (and particularly the fonts ><).
Heard of FontRenew?
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

That's perfect! Besides the menu bar....

I'm with re-done icons, because:
-many people around complain about GPL and all copyright issues (which I personally don't care)
-original icons are rescaled and blurry

Also I'd like to have buttons (i.e zoom) at their original (current) positions.
Arael
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Arael »

Heard of FontRenew?
Useless for me, for 2 reasons:
- It's for the old GUI, which is OK,
- The whole idea of a poll here ist to choose what we'd like and not assume "whatever will be" and then mess with mods.
- So, here's this train full of illegal alcohol. I stamp here, and all the alcohol magically evaporates, leaving pure mineral water...
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Also I think the cargo icons should be rendered in blender, giving beautiful result (it would be difficult to make bit of copper ore in that style - black)
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

So I think, first the engine should be completed, with all graphics and the new interface. When this is done, skins could be coded, but not earlier!
Quite the contrary, it may be better to code the skins in as a part of the new graphics. Rewriting is a huge task, and it may be easier to rewrite everything once instead of rewriting once, then rewriting a second time to support skins.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

CobraA1 wrote:Quite the contrary, it may be better to code the skins in as a part of the new graphics. Rewriting is a huge task, and it may be easier to rewrite everything once instead of rewriting once, then rewriting a second time to support skins.
we probably only need "one" skin for that.

Alltaken
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

I'm loving Joed's mock ups! Keep the good work going, there!
Formerly known as Lachie
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

WhiteHand wrote:I'm loving Joed's mock ups! Keep the good work going, there!
agreed, it looks awesome. like the original, but only more modern. retro-modern, so to say. very nice.
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster

Return to “Graphics Development”