George's Long vehicles. Popularisation

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What's your opinion about LVs?

I use LVs and I shall use them if they would be shorter
34%
I use LVs, but I shall not use them if they would be shorter
21%
I do not use LVs, but I shall use them if they would be shorter
30%
I do not use LVs and I shall not use them even if they would be shorter
6%
I do not care
8%

Total votes: 99

George
Tycoon
Tycoon

George's Long vehicles. Popularisation

Post by George »

As I could understand, many people do not like the glitches, which affect LVs, for example at stations tunnels and especially on turnings. There were lots of requests to make them shorter. I even made short versions of the buses as default.
Now I want to make a decision what to do. With the help of DaleStan it is possible to make the LVs turn smoothly, but it takes 3 times more sprites. There are about 4K already used. Making them x3 hits the 11K limit. So, it is impossible now.
What do I plan:
0) I shall not change the scale
1) To make only articulated buses turn.
2) Trucks would be truncated (not rescaled). They will lose their trailers and semi trailers (except heavy cargo carriers, they look too unrealistic otherwise)
3) The capacity would stay unchanged
You can see this idea already in on Skoda trucks. And this is the way it will look like

Any comments are welcome

Image Image Image Image
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

I voted for the first option, but let me comment a bit on that:
I do use the LV's, because I like the graphics, the variety, the refit option, good speed, and good capacity.
I'd use them, even if they were smaller, but I DO like them to be this large, and I'd be happier if they kept this size.
Actually I think the RV's were pretty useless before LV's came. You needed too many of them to carry enough cargo, and then you hit the 2 slot per RVbay limit, which limited usefullness. I was glad to experience that it was enough to use 4-6 of LV's to carry large amounts of cargo.
Image please use email instead of PM
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Question to devs:
On another note, would it be possible, to change the internal coding of TTDP, so that all RV's have a quite larger bounding box (maybe twice as large, as they have now).
That could kill these glitches (I think, correct me if I'm wrong, tho), and OTOH wouldn't harm anything else. It wouldn't introduce glitches to the vehicles that are smaller, and do not fill the (enlarged) bounding box completly.
-edit- spelling
Last edited by Szappy on 12 Aug 2005 10:51, edited 2 times in total.
Image please use email instead of PM
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

i do use lv's i would use them if they were shorter. I think they look better with their trailers than without
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

The idea is understandable, but...
George wrote:2) Trucks would be truncated (not rescaled). They will lose their trailers and semi trailers (except heavy cargo carriers, they look too unrealistic otherwise)
Well, with this we would miss A LOT. Lots of trucks were actually used with trailers or semitrailers, and cutting them out would really eliminate a big element of realism. I think seeing some glitches in turns is a bearable pain in order to add realism to our games.
There are trucks, like the Mercedes LP, which would look too oddly small without the trailers. And what would the International and the Volvo be (just to quote two models) without the semitrailers?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Snail wrote:The idea is understandable, but...
George wrote:2) Trucks would be truncated (not rescaled). They will lose their trailers and semi trailers (except heavy cargo carriers, they look too unrealistic otherwise)
Well, with this we would miss A LOT. Lots of trucks were actually used with trailers or semitrailers, and cutting them out would really eliminate a big element of realism. I think seeing some glitches in turns is a bearable pain in order to add realism to our games.
There are trucks, like the Mercedes LP, which would look too oddly small without the trailers. And what would the International and the Volvo be (just to quote two models) without the semitrailers?
They had not hauler versions too, they can be drawn
Image Image Image Image
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I always use your graphics George and I will use no matter if they will be short or long

I think you could stay with existing sets: LV Volvo, LV Scania, LV ... etc etc
and providing SV Volvo, SV Scania, SV .... (SV - short vehicles)
or by year: SV/LV 1920's, SV/LV 1950's ... etc

of course this would require more time and work
however I like the current long ones (but the one at the screenie look pretty to) and the only thing they look bad is bus/lorry stations and some tunnels, it isn't much (and that I heard about possibility of bigger lorry bays/bus stations), I think it could be made with TTDPatch Developr as Szappy written, changing somehow bounding box
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Darryl256
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: George's Long vehicles. Popularisation

Post by Darryl256 »

George wrote: 1) To make only articulated buses turn.
I say go for this option.
a) It's look more realistic than what it is atm; and
b) Is able to generate a similar look than adding three times as many sprites.

And besides, the very name of the set is "Long Vehicles" :roll: .

P.S If you do shorten them I might stop using them for that very reason
Current Timezone GMT+12 (NZST)
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Szappy wrote:On another note, would it be possible, to change the internal coding of TTDP, so that all RV's have a quite larger bounding box (maybe twice as large, as they have now).
It's possible, probably (although I had a hell of a time doing that to train wagons and eventually gave up). However, it won't help much; it'll remove a few glitches on bridges, but it won't fix the problems in tunnels, and it may cause other sprite sorter issues.
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
The Irish
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by The Irish »

I'm currently only using an olther versions of your LVs

What I would really like is to have them in TTD scale, but not necessarily shorter. (eg Truck and Semi-trailers, but in TTD scale).

the Skoda trucks screenie looks quite good.
*** Ce French Train Set ***
*** Visit my transport related pictures on Flickr ***
ImageImageImageImageImage
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
"A committee is a group of men who individually can do nothing but as a group decide that nothing can be done" (Fred Allen 1894-1956 US radio comic).
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

Like Shadow, I'll always use LV's.

1) To make only articulated buses turn.

This is IMO the best idea. Most of the lorries would look weird without their trailers and semitrailers.
G-Klav

Note: my avatar is best viewed with the 'silver' scheme on the forums.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

George,

I use them almost exclusively, and of course I'd use them if they were shorter. The shortest I'd suggest (Which is still pretty long) is below. It's up to you though if you want to truncate the semi's to this length.
Attachments
Navistar box van shortened
Navistar box van shortened
ShortNavistar.png (1.08 KiB) Viewed 8585 times
Prebral
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Prebral »

I will play with this set even if the vehicles will be truncated, but too long vehicles do not disturb me. Well, maybe the 3-part Dolphin bus a bit, but it is OK.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

George: Do not change your LV's. They have a place in the game, glitches and all.
Instead, if you have the time and are willing, offer a short vehicle set as well. Many of these vehicles are offered by the manufacturers in shorter, non-articulated versions for local deliveries.
I realize that it might be difficult to offer both in the same set or to use both in the same game.
I would use the set most approprite to my current scenario, which means I have a need for both long and short vehicles.
A little o/t but what I would really like to see is a larger selection for the early years, 1920 to 1935?. The model T is a bit limiting while waiting for the other models to be introduced into the game.
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, the Mack AC truck was introduced in the mid-teens and I've got one started. The capacity would be around 10T. I may get back to it later.
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DanMacK wrote:Well, the Mack AC truck was introduced in the mid-teens and I've got one started. The capacity would be around 10T. I may get back to it later.
Get after him George ... Tell him you need that Mack now! 8)
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Prebral wrote:I will play with this set even if the vehicles will be truncated, but too long vehicles do not disturb me. Well, maybe the 3-part Dolphin bus a bit, but it is OK.
You have to refit it twice to get this length. So, you can never see it if you want ;)
wallyweb wrote:George: Do not change your LV's. They have a place in the game, glitches and all.
Instead, if you have the time and are willing, offer a short vehicle set as well. Many of these vehicles are offered by the manufacturers in shorter, non-articulated versions for local deliveries.
I realize that it might be difficult to offer both in the same set or to use both in the same game.
I would use the set most approprite to my current scenario, which means I have a need for both long and short vehicles.
I have the ide to make it this way: some vehicles would be short and some long (in the one set, like in Skoda trucks). So, you could choose the apropriate ones.
wallyweb wrote:A little o/t but what I would really like to see is a larger selection for the early years, 1920 to 1935?. The model T is a bit limiting while waiting for the other models to be introduced into the game.
It is in plans
wallyweb wrote:
DanMacK wrote:Well, the Mack AC truck was introduced in the mid-teens and I've got one started. The capacity would be around 10T. I may get back to it later.
Get after him George ... Tell him you need that Mack now! 8)
Wel, Danmack, we got you :) We need all your RVs NOW!
Image Image Image Image
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, the Mack AC is currently just a chassis but I can post it later
jacke
Director
Director

Post by jacke »

Prebral wrote:I will play with this set even if the vehicles will be truncated, but too long vehicles do not disturb me. Well, maybe the 3-part Dolphin bus a bit, but it is OK.
I agree.
Wile E. Coyote
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wile E. Coyote »

DONT TRUNCATE LVs! I love them very much! Only acceptable thing is rescaling IMHO, but it's too much of job. Anyway, aren't they LONG vehicles? :wink:
Serbian rail set with Serbian scenario (ECS, PBI, FIRS and Tourist set compatible) Website | Topic and download | Latest version: 03.06.2015.
Serbian tram set Tracking table | TTD Patch tram set Latest version: 17.06.2015. | Open TTD Remix Latest version: 11.07.2015.
WIN-DOS GRF Converter Topic and download | Version 0.2.1: 09.01.2005.

Runner-up in "Best avatar Forums award" for years 2006 and 2010!

Return to “Graphics Development”