City Airport

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

leenx
Engineer
Engineer

City Airport

Post by leenx »

What about a city airport? Every city, when incrases it size (about 500-800?) starts to build an airport. And, as population grows it should be upgradable, to something a bit larger than an international airport... Why this? Its non-sense to every player have an own airport!!!! If a city get realllllyyyyy large, it can build a second or even a third airport... I think it should be a nice idea.

It will save space and not exclude a lot of players from airpalnes in every city if (s)he is not one of the two firstcomers airport cosntructors (great for multiplayer). You'll need to to pay fees for using the airport, but it will be a fair way to avoid people of flooding a airport with a "infestation" of airplanes. The fee should avoid planes with less than some % of seat ocupation.

Sorry for the terrible english...

Tycoon Adicted
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

The problem I can see is that the town may place it badly (so most of the town is outside the catchment), and it might get surrounded by the town, and then wouldn't be able to upgrade.
leenx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by leenx »

The city itself can "destroy" nearby constructions to do the upgrade... much like it does to put in new structures (like mall, stadium...) but in a larger scale.

Tycoon Adicted
Luz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Luz »

I´ve long had ideas of "industry" like buildings producing Passagers instead of minerals/goods etc.. but never found something to suiting (sofar I´ve tought about theme parks, schools, and arcade centers).

Much like ie. a power station accepts coal, an airport industry would accept passagers and mail. With the option to land planes on it ofc, but also boost nearby player owned stations in terms of passagers (you actually need to come to the airport you know, and leave it etc..)

So basicly :
1. Airports owned by a city, like industries
2. Nearby train / buss stations accept passagers, and gets passagers from airport.
3. Airplanes can land on city owned airports.
Build around it, build over it, build under it! I dont care get me my stuff!
Horse
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Horse »

each city an Airport.

why each City
Kong Basse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kong Basse »

If you use nightly build you can use other players airports
scrooge
Engineer
Engineer

Post by scrooge »

I find this a very good idea indeed (I have thought about something like this before). But an airport for each city is to much IMO. In reality there are huges airports that serve many cities, and I think it should be like that in the game (because I just loove reality :lol: ).
Too many players on each airport could be a problem though, overflowing the airport with planes. But do not despair :!:, that could be easily solved by having contracts between the player and the local authorities. It should depend on the size of the airport (wich would be controled by the populations of the towns owning the airport) and the highest income for the airport how many players should be able to opperate there.
If you would make such a deal you would have to pay money for using the airport (some % of the income of each plane) and make sure the passengers get to their destinations (keep up the ratings in other words). Failure in doing so would mean penalty for the first few times, and then a total ban for maybe a year, so other players, hopefully better managers, would get the opportunity of serving at the airport.
What do you think?
leenx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by leenx »

I like the idea of an aiport per city (or two, or even 3 in realy large citys). Not an airport serving a plenty of cities. But theres a need to avoid a construction of large airports in small towns. "The nearby technique"* (if city airpot is enabled) will not be needed anymore.

*"A huge city, with two airports. Oh my god! What i do! I want some of that passengers! Hummm, i just build in the city limit of a near town and: TADA!"

In nigtly its possible to use another player airport? Hummmm...Intersting... BUT! Its not fair, until you pay taxes to the airport onwer.

Tycoon Adicted
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

I think players should choose the spot for the airport, but the LA owns it. So all players can use it
Formerly known as Lachie
ConductorBob
Director
Director

Post by ConductorBob »

Maybe airport should be like a bank and built by the city in the center ish and counts as people as well and it will delete buildings and stuff... maybe even ask players if they want to contribute 25% of the cost for a wave on a year of town-airport-tax.... And make the airports like 400,000 pounds.. So 100,000 pounds if the player wants it... That way when you get like a few towns with 1500 people in em and they start getting airports, its ilke 1965 ish (if u start in 1950) and its all good!
Conditional Zenith
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Conditional Zenith »

Kong Basse wrote:If you use nightly build you can use other players airports
Don't suppose you can remember which rev that happened in? Date would also help if you don't know.
oca
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oca »

i think it´s a good idea.

every large city builds e.g. his own airport (or two, or three....). each company who use this airport must pay for every plane who lands/starts there... like in real life

but every company could build an own airport (only with the acceptance of the city, so we have no 10 airports for a 800 persons-city) and get money for each plane who lands/starts by a competitor.

how i said, like in the real life!
Kong Basse
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Kong Basse »

Conditional Zenith wrote:
Kong Basse wrote:If you use nightly build you can use other players airports
Don't suppose you can remember which rev that happened in? Date would also help if you don't know.
Its the subisides patch who allow people to share tracks stations and such. -I use integreated nightly (not nightly sorry for that) vers. 4, but the new ver. 4.5 is even better. -All about it here:

http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php? ... sc&start=0
leenx wrote:In nigtly its possible to use another player airport? Hummmm...Intersting... BUT! Its not fair, until you pay taxes to the airport owner.
LOL
Ofcause :D
Leo OMC
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Leo OMC »

I agree. It should be city owned airports.

Every company has the right to buy it's own "hangar" and place airplanes. As the city grows, the players would face the problem of having a small airport to transport a larger number of passengers. When this moment comes, THE COMPANIES will pay for the airport upgrades.
I'm trying to import an idea from airline tycoon, where you have to buy a new hangar at the airport in order to manage a larger number of aircrafts. The airport doesn't do it for you.

There is another thing. The city airport will create the demands, the needs of routes. For example, if there are 3000 passengers waiting at an airport , you'll have to fly them to another specific city, according to a route created by the city airport. The way it is now is too easy. You can create a random route and take 400 passengers from a large city to a really small and insignificant one, and get the profits. To me it's nonsense. For example: at a city airport, 1.200 passengers are waiting. 600 wnat to go to city X. 250 to city Z. 52 to city Y and so on .....

The computer creates subsidies to companies that transport passengers from one city to another, right? I think it can also create specific demands, specific needs.

Leo
atenção chegou chatuba !!!!
leenx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by leenx »

Great! Plenty of ideas!
The city airport will create the demands, the needs of routes. For example, if there are 3000 passengers waiting at an airport , you'll have to fly them to another specific city, according to a route created by the city airport.
As far as i know, a idea similar is being implemented, but without a fixed "route", and will be avaible soon. (please correct me if i'm wrong!).
Every company has the right to buy it's own "hangar" and place airplanes. ... THE COMPANIES will pay for the airport upgrades.
The idea of the city reserving the land for the airport expansion is awsome!!!! And then, the players will upgrade the airport. Not landstripes (the city create them), but hangars and even terminals (don't think im complex schemes, just a button [upgrade] when you click in a aiport)

Tycoon Adicted
leenx
Engineer
Engineer

THANKS GOD!

Post by leenx »

Tycoon Adicted
Silver Ion
Engineer
Engineer

City airport like industries

Post by Silver Ion »

Why should a municipal airport be built in the city? There are precious few people who walk to the airport. Let alone the hindrance the planes cause..
So it should be treated like an industry, rather than a station:
- It is built in a way similar to other industries. This means it can expand more easily. Lack of space becomes irrelevant. There is no longer a reason to build a dummy airport just for the larger catchment area.
Maybe it's easier to split it up into 2 industries that are always built next to each other and simultaneaously? That would also allow for some variation in layout, if wanted.
- Part 1: Outgoing flights:
Accepts: all cargo brought to it by non-airplane, provided there has been an outgoing service.
Produces: all cargo brought to it, but can be picked up only by airplane.
- Part 2: Incoming flights:
Accepts: all cargo brought to it by airplane.
Produces: all cargo brought to it, but can be picked up only by non-airplane.
- Town growth determines when it is placed, and what size it is.

Advantages: more realism, easier placement, more emphasis on combination of transport types.
Brianetta
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Brianetta »

Don't oil rigs already do exactly this, but for helicopters? There's probably no real technical obstacle.
PGP fingerprint: E66A 9D58 AA10 E967 41A6 474E E41D 10AE 082C F3ED
DmitryKo
Engineer
Engineer

Re: City Airport

Post by DmitryKo »

I think airports could still be built and operated by players, but there should be some level of syndication. The city authority will decide the maxim number of airports based on population, airport size, coverage etc., and the competitors should be allowed to use the airport by paying an owner-negotiable amount on an yearly basis. If a competitor refuses to renew his contract, he loses this airport as a destination in his orders.

Subsidiaries should be allowed to use whatever stations/airports they need without any fee.
Thrillville109
Engineer
Engineer

Re: City Airport

Post by Thrillville109 »

Simutrans did it first. Sorta.
I like the idea, but have you put any thought on how to make it work?
I'd be making Locomotion Expanded if I didn't despise using WALLY.

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”