[UNIV]Thomas the tank engine set [Coder Needed]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

What sort of stats would you like to see

Realistic
58%
Game
42%

Total votes: 104

WWTBAM

[UNIV]Thomas the tank engine set [Coder Needed]

Post by WWTBAM »

I had an idea about making a Thomas the tank engine set for the younger players would anyone use it. Also the tracking table can be found at http://ttd.otenko.com/grfs.html clcick on the thomas logo.
This is what i would like to be done for when version 1 comes out. I would like all the numbered engines drawn, ie thomas, edward, gordon, percy, james, duck and henry. Also any wagons that get drawn in time will get included. I will notify you when the coding is done and only allignments need fixing, so if you think you can easily whip up a wagon you may get it in the release if you are quick enough. The tracking table will have the most up to date sprites on it most of the time hopefully. Also if you want to claim anything to draw please post in the thread before starting as it may have already been drawn.
Theme music
Mp3 version

edit. added link to tracking table.
edit 2 added road map for version 1
edit 3 added duck to the roadmap
edit 4 added link to theme music
edit 5 changed the music to ronstars version
Last edited by WWTBAM on 12 Jan 2010 08:35, edited 12 times in total.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Re: A Thomas the tank engine idea

Post by toholio »

r0b0t_b0y2003 wrote:I had an idea about making a Thomas the tank engine set for the younger players would anyone use it.
I'm sure someone would.

You might like to check out the BrickLand project since it's similar to your idea.
Get Skype and call me for free.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

IIRC someone already started such a project, but AFAIK it never came that far.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

I have started work on the wagons in my other topic so if anyone is willing to help with the coding and steamers. I would especialy like thomas done first. Also raichase is coding the passenger and mail wagons i drew but isnt up to coding a whole set so if anyone wants to you can use his bit of code when its done.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

r0b0t_b0y2003 wrote:I have started work on the wagons in my other topic so if anyone is willing to help with the coding and steamers. I would especialy like thomas done first. Also raichase is coding the passenger and mail wagons i drew but isnt up to coding a whole set so if anyone wants to you can use his bit of code when its done.
Hehe, that assumes I ever get them finished. They are 80% done, just been too busy to look at NFO last week or so :(.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

Also ishould be able to post pics of some of the engines in all the riquired views because i have them ill try and get thomas done unless someone has thomas themselves. here is my unfinished hopper.
Attachments
trubblesumtruck.png
trubblesumtruck.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 43186 times
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Assuming they are troublesome trucks, where is the face?
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

im not worring about faces for the time being. I only want to get all the required wagons then im going to worry about the faces.
BobDendry
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by BobDendry »

Yeah, that's cool, just pointing it out :wink:
jebartle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jebartle »

please do make this set. I'm a avid Thomas fan. Have many of the orginal vhs releases. My Grand kids love them. If I was a better at graphics, I would have started one myself. Will be keeping an eye on this topic.

JEB
Author of GRFreader and NFOalter
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

This is my try at nfo coding and here are my results. Also this is the nfo from my trg1.nfo file and the trg.pcx files.

Code: Select all

2733 c:\mps\ttdlx\sprites/trg1.pcx 194 10616 01 18 8 -3 -10
 2734 c:\mps\ttdlx\sprites/trg1.pcx 210 10616 09 16 20 -14 -7
 2735 c:\mps\ttdlx\sprites/trg1.pcx 242 10616 01 12 28 -14 -6
 2736 c:\mps\ttdlx\sprites/trg1.pcx 290 10616 09 16 20 -4 -8
Attachments
Scr57.png
Scr57.png (75.96 KiB) Viewed 43024 times
Last edited by WWTBAM on 31 Dec 2005 05:30, edited 1 time in total.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Robotboy, don't post the entire trg1r.pcx, png or not, it's way too big, and 99% of isn't needed to solve your problem.
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

This set is slowly moving forward as jonty-comp the coder has now finished my percy. jonty could you upload both windows and dos once youve fixed the allignments. also the tracking table can be found at http://ttd.otenko.com/grfs.html clcick on the thomas logo.
Formerly known as r0b0t_b0y2003, robotboy, roboboy and beclawat. The best place to get the most recent nightly builds of TTDPatch is: http://roboboy.users.tt-forums.net/TTDPatch/nightlies/
Dave

Post by Dave »

Just so you know...

Thomas' coaches are Annie and Clarabel.

Just thought you'd like the spellings to be right.

On a side note: love that website's design in the TTD style.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

ok thanx dave. i didnt design the site, Stevenh did. I present to you the shortened rescalled Annie and Clarabel. please tell me if they look right compared to percy. the reason for shortening them is that with the wooden toys annie and clarabel are the same size as percy.
Attachments
testpax.png
testpax.png (2.16 KiB) Viewed 42407 times
Bad Hair Day
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bad Hair Day »

To robotboy and anyone else here)

I've been doing a litte work on thomas.

sorry I'm so slow.

Sneak preview. :-)

Green back ground for ease of viewing.
Attachments
thomas.PNG
thomas.PNG (1.49 KiB) Viewed 42318 times
My OpenTTD screenshot thread.

Formerly known as Lankku / 2-10-0
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Not a bad attempt!

The shape seems well done. What you might improve are some details:

- Your initial shading of the boiler's surface is good, but it could give the idea of a rounded surface even better. The lateral tanks should be well distinguishable, with some lighter shades of blue on the borders (which would contrast against the dark blue of the boiler).

- The red lines are rendered with the same tone of red everywhere. This makes them a bit plain, and they contrast too much with the rest of the engine. Try to shade them according to their position in the engine; they should ideally follow the same tones you use for the blue in the corresponding areas, i.e. dark red close to dark blue and vice versa. This way, those red lines would follow the surface and would look much more realistic.

- Maybe the yellow tone you used for the "1" is a bit too bright?

- The cab roof in the vertical view seems a bit too short?

- The wheels are blue? Ok the model HAS blue wheels, but like this it's hard to tell them from the chassis... maybe using a darker shade?

These are just a couple of details. On the other hand, the shading of the cab is well done, and even the front (black) part of the boiler is nice. You definitely do have skills. :D
Dave

Post by Dave »

Looks awesome... I have simply one issue :D:

Isn't Thomas' Boiler completely square?

I'm a keen follower of the series, even at 17. I shall look forward to what you guys come up with.

EDIT: RobotBoy

Although this may be the case with the models, in the TV show Percy is a bit shorter than the coaches if I remember rightly. In fact I think Thomas lines up perfectly alongside either one of Annie or Clarabel.

Some great work going on.
Official TT-Dave Fan Club

Dave's Screenshot Thread! - Albion: A fictional Britain
Flickr

Why be a song when you can be a symphony? r is a...
Snail
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Snail »

Dave Worley wrote:Isn't Thomas' Boiler completely square?
Well, here the boiler looks round...
WWTBAM

Post by WWTBAM »

firstly both percy and thomas were originally by pikkabird for the ukrs and he has given me permision to repaint them. So the original shapes were by pikka. By the way this set is open to anyone and i have absolutely no idea as to when this set will be done, not even a year date. So because of that any experienced artists if you want to take a break from drawing real engines you may pop in and out.

Return to “Graphics Development”