Crash To Desktop on unpause (possibly vehicle limit related)

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Maverick
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Crash To Desktop on unpause (possibly vehicle limit related)

Post by Maverick »

Savegame attached, upon un-pausing the savegame, the r2424i4 will crash to desktop.
http://members.iinet.net.au/~cdebruyne/save.zip
2 savegames are included in the zip. It seems the last un-pausable savegame is from 1993.
Can anyone else try loading the game, then un-pausing it?
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

As stated many times before, custom builds are not supported by the OpenTTD Team. If you are lucky, the game may load in the nightlies, so give it ago, and if the problem persists report it again. I would suggest you post this in the Integrated Nightly topic and you might be able to get some help there.
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Maverick
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Maverick »

A link in the integrated nightly thread to this thread has been made. No need to clutter that thread up with these problems.

Whilst reviewing the savegame, I found that trains 845 and up are mutated. In the train list window, they only have the first power car, then followed not by the normal iron ore/other carriages, but what loks to be a Jubilee or a BR8P.
Anyone know aw ay to find out what the current total of all vehicles is in a gmae? Either through console, or through a savegame viewer?
Last edited by Maverick on 18 Jul 2005 21:53, edited 1 time in total.
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Maverick wrote:No need to clutter that thread up with these problems.
I beg to differ, this is completely a problem with the custom build, not with the clean build. If you can show that this problem does exist in the main branch, then fair enough, but I expect it is a problem with one of the patches.
Maverick wrote:Anyone know aw ay to find out what the current total of all vehicles is in a gmae? Either through console, or through a savegame viewer?
Well... there are various ways, but nothing that can be easily done by running a simple command.

When you run the game with -d 9, what do you get right before the crash happens?
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Maverick
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Maverick »

Interesting!
The game in the file above (1998) has JUST over 32768 vehicles, using the command you supplied, thanks for that.
"[Pool] (Vehicle) Increasing size of pool to 33792 items (6488064 bytes)"

However earlier games that are un-pausable (1993), have UNDER 32768 vehicles. When the LAST save that works (1996) is loaded, it runs it's pool up to 32768. No more, no less. And the FIRST save the does not un-pause runs up to 33280.
It looks like 32768 is the lucky ticket. Darkvater has described earlier that my previous problem (could not save without a crash) was save-code related. This can't be, as the game is loading, but the vehicles are getting corrupted.
last working savegame
This is probably going to turn out to be something that's also in the main build. Unfortunately this savegame has been 'integrated', and AFAIK can't go back.
Lucas, the vehicle limit problems have been around for quite some time,so you don't need to ridicule me so. I appreciate your help with advising me of that command, however. I've been keeping my eye out for this, as I knew there would be another limit somewhere, and it seems 32768 is where.
I found that the integrated build allowed me to build above and beyond when I ran into a wall with the base build. (I have an old thread like this one, but at an earlier point with save-code problems)
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Ok, good you have found that out. I have fiddled around trying to create a save with that many vehicles, but have failed. The most I have got (with clone veh and a bit of editiing so it produces 25 at once) it 11,000 induvidual vehicles (around 100 101 length trains). Now though it takes around 5 mins to create another 25, and to reach this limit I need to get around 350. :P

It definately can't be just save / load related as you said, so more searching is needed.

(EDIT #23232:) A while later: As you probably know 32768 is 2^15 + 1, which is one more than an int16. So searching for one of these should solve the problem.

Another edit: I have tried to reproduce your bug in the integrated nightly as well, but when I try and save I get an assertion. This was fixed a few days ago in the main builds, so I will try it again when a newer version is up.

On another note: How can you play like that? For me it is rreaaalllly laggy. :P
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Anyone got a savegame like this for the latest nightly? I tried to see what was wrong, but this was an 'I' game, so couldn't check.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

lucaspiller wrote:As you probably know 32768 is 2^15 + 1
That's some very interesting math you have there. Last I checked, (2^15)+1 should be odd, not even. It is out of range for an int16, but it's not out of range for a uint16.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

DaleStan wrote:That's some very interesting math you have there. Last I checked, (2^15)+1 should be odd, not even. It is out of range for an int16, but it's not out of range for a uint16.
Doh, the int16 should have had the + 1 after it. Ah well, that was about a 6th edit. :P
Maverick
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Maverick »

As you probably know 32768 is 2^15 + 1, which is one more than an int16. So searching for one of these should solve the problem.
Uh... 'searching'? :) Search and do what? that's a bit of a generic suggestion :)
Another edit: I have tried to reproduce your bug in the integrated nightly as well, but when I try and save I get an assertion. This was fixed a few days ago in the main builds, so I will try it again when a newer version is up.
Hm. that's strange, I seem to be able to save ok. I bundled my cfg in with that zip up there. I have it set to 5000 trains and 400 air/ship/road. But I think the fact I'm using the integrated nightly is a cause of great grief in troubleshooting this problem. Unfortunately it was the only one that I could go over 16384 vehicles with. the normal nightly did'nt allow it (at the time).
Darkvater wrote: Anyone got a savegame like this for the latest nightly? I tried to see what was wrong, but this was an 'I' game, so couldn't check.
I know that it's it an integrated nightly and that's causing A LOT of headaches. So tell me something.. What's the max (verified and theoretical) vehicles in the mainbuild nightly?
If it's the same as the integrated nightly, then I tell ya what. I'll go back to just the normal build + clone trains. the clone trains mod doesn't make any extra save data AFAIK, so it should be ok. I'll start work on it, and report back in... well soon maybe 3 hours, or 3 weeks :) No idea how long it will take.
On another note: How can you play like that? For me it is rreaaalllly laggy. :P
Well, as the game went on, cloning trains took a while (length 78 trains with 8 power cars), so I started using my dual xeon server over terminal services to clone trains :) The graphic interface can get a bit slow, but after I'm done cloning trains for a new route I load the save back up on my main P4 3.2EE desktop.[/quote]
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Ludde fixed the saveload problem so the limit of 16K should definitely be lifted. If all's well it is up to 64K (2^16) but who knows.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”