Renaming Trp files into Trt files

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

jack verheydt
Engineer
Engineer

Renaming Trp files into Trt files

Post by jack verheydt »

I have a riddlefor anybody who’s interested: The list of names under Load Game and Load Scenario has become so cluttered with duplicates and other unwanted stuff, that I wanted to do some housekeeping and make room. I threw out all the sv1’s, and then I wanted to make the Trp..sv0 files show up and make them playable, which they never were. I started renumbering them with free, unused numbersTrt..sv0, but they still did not show up under Load Scenario. I had noticed that there already was a scenario named Trtxx.sv0, which not only shows up under Load Scenario but it actually works, so I renamed them Trtyy.sv0, and Trtzz.sv0 (other letters did not work for some reason). Now the game titles show up OK, but when I try to play them, the computer freezes and has to be restarted. I have about 14 downloaded game titles which I would like to play, such as Notable Norway, Noticeable Netherlands, Elegant England etc., but they all have Trp numbers. (I don’t even know what Trp stands for). How the…. DO you rename them ? TTD has the stupidest, most illogical and incomprehensible numbering systyem I ever saw. … A frustrated non-geek. (Jack Verheydt, a.k.a. :shock: j.verheydt@hetnet.nl).
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Whoa, you aren't having much luck. :P

First thing, all save games (.sv0 or .sav) need to go in the save directory, while all scenarios (.ss0 or .scn) need to go in the scenario directory. If you put them in the appropriate directory they should all work correctly.

In TTD the names of the game are saved into the actual save, because when it came out only 8 character filenames were supported by DOS. In OpenTTD the name of the save game is the actual name of the file, but in either case OpenTTD inteprets them to find the correct name.

Hope this helps. :wink:
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
}T{Reme [Q_G]
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by }T{Reme [Q_G] »

Hmm.. havent tried it but isnt it possible to create subdirectories in the savegame folder? Should be.... This would help you in organizing this mess.
Siggy not gonna work unless someone allows javascripting...
jack verheydt
Engineer
Engineer

Renaming Trp into Trt files

Post by jack verheydt »

Lucaspiller: I appreciate your suggestion, but there ARE no subfolders for scenarios or savegames in my various TTD folders, as there seem to be in Open TTD (at least, I take it Gm stands for games)…. No wonder, perhaps, that they get all mixed up. But what DOES Trp stand for? And why the different letter? I cannot access them and when I try to rename and renumber them as Trt00sv.0 files, or Trtxx.sv0 files, the game freezes, crashes or informs you that the operation is illegal, and will be shut down. I give up.
I have tried everything I could think of. THEY WILL NOT RUN. There are 18 of them that I downloaded at one time, before the advent of Open TTD, and that I’m still interested in. I don’t even remember where I downloaded them, or I would perhaps try to download them again to the separate folder I made. Some few will show up under Load Game or Play Scenario when I rename them, BUT THEY WILL NOT RUN. I have renamed all of them in Trt files, BUT THEY WILL NOT RUN, no matter what I do. What gives ? Here’s a list: see attachment)
Notable Norway
Noticeable Netherlands
Elegant England Plus
Paplaczyk Transport
Oil Heaven
Jim’s Europe
Extreme cities
Mid Central Transporter
Europe classic
Long islands
Out of Africa
Brazil, so real
Virginia Rails
Northeast Part 2
Western Pacific Erails
Northeast Rails
X Transporte
USA 1-2-50

Oh, and Reme: I don't think you can make Save and Scenario sub folders just like that. But thanks for suggesting it; I will try. Can't lose by trying...
By the way, I wasn't shooting him down, being originally from Holland myself, I just happen to know that Sweet Lake = Zoetermeer.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: Renaming Trp into Trt files

Post by DaleStan »

jack verheydt wrote:(at least, I take it Gm stands for games)
No. "GM" stands for "Music"
Save games are found in the save/ folder
jack verheydt wrote:But what DOES Trp stand for? And why the different letter?
TRP is a hack to keep TTD Unpatched from trying to load games with extra TTDPatch-related information that will crash TTD.

You may have to use TTDPatch to load the TRP?? games. There are some TTDPatch features that quite simply do not work in OTTD.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
jack verheydt
Engineer
Engineer

Renaming Trp files (again)

Post by jack verheydt »

Well, my friend, they all crash anyway in any shape or form, so I guess it makes no difference. I'm about to delete them all and be rid of them. Too bad, some of those 18 titles sounded pretty interesting. (see list attachment posted).

Return to “General OpenTTD”