High bridges?

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

thany
Engineer
Engineer

High bridges?

Post by thany »

Somehow I seemed to be able to create a high bridge, effectively a bridge which is 2 heights high, if you know what I mean. Look at the attached screenshot for an example. You'll see a bridge going up, even tough it goes over water...

Because its pylons don't look all too well, I figured this might be some kind of bug. The bridge works perfectly fine, but still, I've never seen this before :)
Attachments
A high bridge?
A high bridge?
Thany Inc, 16th Nov 2090.png (182.19 KiB) Viewed 295 times
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

This is not a bug, this is a feature :-)

But the pylons aren't being drawn very nicely because the pylons are not originally seperate sprites, they're part of the actual bridge pieces.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
thany
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thany »

A, nice feature then... but obviously it's not what I wanted. I had hoped for a bridge that stays on the same height level, while not narrowing the water for my ships (actually 14 more hovercrafts are coming, so they "need" some space ;))
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

thany wrote:A, nice feature then... but obviously it's not what I wanted. I had hoped for a bridge that stays on the same height level, while not narrowing the water for my ships
How has that bridge narrowed the water in any way?
Get Skype and call me for free.
thany
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thany »

It hasn't narrowed the water now, but if I'd create a bridge that would remain on the same height level, I would have to make it begin and end later and sooner, respectively. OpenTTD would make those stone blocks on the diagonal water blocks for me, thus narrowing the water... what's more, I can't even use tubular steel, but that another bug/feature.

Attached screenshot will clarify what I mean.
Attachments
Narrowing the water
Narrowing the water
Thany Inc, 13th May 2090.png (179.89 KiB) Viewed 231 times
toholio
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by toholio »

thany wrote:It hasn't narrowed the water now, but if I'd create a bridge that would remain on the same height level, I would have to make it begin and end later and sooner, respectively.
I see what you mean now. How would you make that work differently though? You need the foundations to be able to build that bridge.
thany wrote:OpenTTD would make those stone blocks on the diagonal water blocks for me, thus narrowing the water... what's more, I can't even use tubular steel, but that another bug/feature.
That's not a bug, bridge types have minimum as well as maximum length.
Get Skype and call me for free.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Then I suggest you use the silicon bridge. Those maglevs have such high horsepower one little slope won't do much to slow them down, but with that steel bridge, they'll slow down like 400 km/h, and that's way too inefficient.
thany
Engineer
Engineer

Post by thany »

Well, in real life, a bridge doesn't need a sloped foundation, it can just start instantly :)

But I'll just make the water wider, can't hurt for such a massive number of hovercrafts anyway.
White Rabbit
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by White Rabbit »

Actually, it does need to have a sloped starting point...otherwise...how does it go upwards and above the ground? When it doesn't is when beneath it is lower than the ground it starts off from, which actually is the case with your bridge, except that the land tiles aren't placed correctly (they're straight, not diagonal), and there are no bridge graphics to deal with it, I think. IMO not being able to build bridges on diagonal slopes is a bit of a limitation.

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”