North American Renewal Set - Ver. 1.0 Released! - 04/04/06

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

North American Renewal Set - Ver. 1.0 Released! - 04/04/06

Post by DanMacK »

Current Version is Always Avalable at the link below
Main Website

**Latest Version - April 4/06**

NOW AVAILABLE IN ALL 3 CLIMATES! (No Toyland, sorry ;) )

As if I didn't have enough on my plate ATM, I've dished myself another helping. Playing OTTD with PikkaBird's UK Renewal Set at work today, I was struck by the idea of a TTD styled set for Arctic.

Realizing that aside from the Turbo Train, none of the Arctic locos are actually at home there (Most appear to be African/South American units), I started compiling a list of locos to include. All of the steam locos in the set will be generic with no specific prototype, but the diesels will have to be North American. Most of the steamers do have a distinctly "Canadian" look about them however.

Pikkabird's doing the coding for this set, and for that, I thank him :D
Last edited by DanMacK on 05 Apr 2006 22:30, edited 25 times in total.
Sanchimaru
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Sanchimaru »

Oh, yes!! I'm very glad to hear that! The arctic and tropic sets were so dull... when I did the new game intros I was amazed; I dind' recall how boring were those climates due to the lack of interesting vehicles...

Good luck with this one, DanMacK! I'm following it
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Whenever this set comes out i got to make myself a new start screen.. :)
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

I love it! :bow:
I want it :twisted:

What can I say? I was born and raised in the snow.

Just one thing to add ...

I know it would be just eye candy but can't you just picture that passenger express delayed again because it is following behind one of these babies clearing off the result of last night's blizzard?

I've seen a steamer pushing one of these while dragging tender and caboose.
At all of about 40mph, it created it's own blizzard which may not be possible in TTDX and Patch, but just having one of these being pushed from depot to depot to depot ... would be almost as neet as Zimmlock's hospital demolition. :D

For the uninnitiated. that CN logo is painted on an extendable wing which guides the snow well away from the track ... your front yard if you live right next to the line. (animation anyone?) :wink:
Attachments
CN Snow Plow
CN Snow Plow
Snowplow.png (173.2 KiB) Viewed 41331 times
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Dan, I would be wondering how you are going to do it all, but I know you can!

Quality Work as always mate, you keep plugging away :)).
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Hitperson
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Hitperson »

NICE!!!! :shock: snow ploughs would be great.
finally somthing decent to play in arctic scenario
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I have to wonder though, what's the point? Between the US set and the Canadian set, we pretty much have this ground covered.

And don't forget, you have to draw animations for all the steamers! :P
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

6 Words:Company Colours, Style Diffrences, And Gameplay.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I think the caboose car shouldn't be red, but something less bright, combined with company colors.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Lakie
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Lakie »

It's quite worring as to how much you keep putting on your plate DanMacK.
Are you sure you'll be able to meet all this targets you keep setting yourself?

I know it sounds stupid but with all this extra workload I think you're spreading yourself as a resource, too thinly (As in too many sets at once).

Anyway, Who you got planned for coding this Set?

[edit] If anyone disagrees with me, feel free to say so.
Oh and will Company Colours be used?

~ Lakie
TTDpatch Developer 2005 - 2010 ~ It all started because of shortened vehicle not loading correctly, now look where I've gone with it!
Grfs coded ~ Finnish Train Set (Teaser) | Bm73 (Release 3) | Emu 680 (Release 3)| Glass Station (Release 1) | UK Roadset (Version 1.1a) | New Water Coasts (Version 7)
Pikka: "Lakie's a good coder, but before he'll add any feature to TTDP you have to convince him that you're not going to use it to destroy the world as we know it."
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Lakie: I Asked PikkaBird and he said he'd code it for me This set's mostly a repaint, so I think I can squeeze it in amongst my other projects :D

Purno: I'm inclined to agree with you on this, I'm rethinking my colouring on the van.

krtaylor: As Akalamanaia pointed out, this set is a generic set using company colours. Plus, since at the moment the USSet doesn't work in OTTD, and CC is handy for multiplayer anyway, this set will fit a niche.

A Snow Plow is actually planned for the Canadian set, not sure if I'll do it for this set or not.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

DanMacK wrote:Plus, since at the moment the USSet doesn't work in OTTD...
They could fix that....
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Yes, they could, but it still remains that if you're playing Multiplayer, it's a good idea to know whose trains are running on your tracks at a quick glance.
lobster
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lobster »

bah, that UAC turbo thing always bothered me. but this set looks awesome DanMack. really, quality. :)
"Your mother was a lobster, and your father... was also a lobster" -- The rascal formerly known as astath -- Last.fm -- Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club

<orudge> make love to me while I surf, dear lobster
wallyweb
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by wallyweb »

DanMacK wrote:A Snow Plow is actually planned for the Canadian set, not sure if I'll do it for this set or not.
:cry:
Wait a minute :) Did I see repaints mentioned above? :wink: There's hope yet!
I agree with you Dan ... I'll play the Canadian set when its done but unless there was a way to get the code to recognize railroad names/liveries (CN, CP , etc ...) as company colors this Artic Renewal Set is the way to go for multiplayer.
As for getting too busy, if I psyched you right, drawing trains is your passion, something you'll never tire of. We thank you for that.

Astath - re the UAC Turbo thing ... Its a good sucker ... er ... candidate ... for a low reliability engine. :lol:

PS/EDIT - This TTDX - Company color the whole caboose.
Last edited by wallyweb on 29 Jun 2005 21:14, edited 1 time in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think actually it is possible to code it so that one player gets CN, the other CP, but we haven't experimented with that much since Patch TTD multiplayer support is rotten. Someday maybe we'll do that with the US set, and we can play PRR vs. NYC. 8)
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, with the longmap support in OTTD, and once NewGrf support is enabled, one can do a 256X2084 map from New York to Chicago... there's your challenge :D

I'm making progress on this set however, and should have something to show soon. Freight cars are almost all done. Pikka said I could use the Polybulk hoppers from the BRMiniset, so these will make their way in, as well as a CC cylindrical hopper.

I'm also considering repainting my USSet tanker in Company colours for this set :D Look for updates shortly
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

Excellent DanMacK, when you told me on IRC, I thought, heh, sounds great, pity it will take a while, but damnit Dan, you've already made a lot of progress. I'm looking forward to it, and I'm sure the OTTD peeps will be glad they can have some sets in company colours for MP games :D.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Just by-the-by, can anyone tell me what issues there are with the UK Renewal set in OTTD? Are there any things I should avoid doing coding this set?
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Posted conflicts for the UK Renewal set in that thread :D

Completed Sprites so far are below. I may eventually add a different version of the boxcar for paper (and show loading states)
Attachments
Arctic Sprites so far
Arctic Sprites so far
ArcticSprite1.png (32.79 KiB) Viewed 40707 times

Return to “Graphics Development”