Hurray, we did it !!!

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

silpol
Engineer
Engineer

Hurray, we did it !!!

Post by silpol »

Hi all,

some of you have read (and some didn't) that we are doing first real open-sourced product here at Nokia - Nokia 770 Internet Tablet, with SW part mirrored for public at maemo.org.

The point why I am writing here - yesterday we made porting OpenTTD on our platform (I'm just happen to be here as one of TTD addicts, you know, they are everywhere). It was a breeze - just compiling!!!. Well, actually you can do it on your own on simulator from maemo.org, but we tried it on real tablet - IT WORKS!!! It is run on ARM architecture and keeps CPU busy for 60% :roll: . There are things to fix still before it becomes real SW for real HW box, but... It is not that long way, and here all credit goes to you, developers - THANK YOU! :wink:

Ah, yeah, I will add screenshots with real HW as soon as the guy with camera and SD card comes back to office :wink:
LKRaider
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by LKRaider »

Sounds really cool

Nice toy you have made there :)
Too bad wireless connection is almost inexistent/and/or sucks over here :cry:
silpol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by silpol »

LKRaider wrote:Sounds really cool
Nice toy you have made there :)
Too bad wireless connection is almost inexistent/and/or sucks over here :cry:
well, the Box has quit many options for connectivity - not only WiFi, but also Bluetooth (so you can attach GPRS modem in your phone) or USB modem or USB-to-Ethernet or... feel free to tweak and play

back to OpenTTD - I was able even to try multiplayer game: I found server from outside, tried to connect, got everything almost done and then ... bang, it lost synch :shock: still to check what I have to tweak there on network side, or... let see...

there is also challenge about right-mouse-click and right-mosue-drag, but ... we have motto here "The future is open" - mean I hope we could give it a try to hack.

That's it folks! :P
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Sounds just great silpol!

There has already been a port of a previous version of OpenTTD to PocketPC, but unfortunately as I see it, it has been abandoned. I tried to port OpenTTD for that platform but as it didn't really want to work with the microsoft-supplied emulator and I don't have a pocketpc myself, I gave up.

However if OpenTTD is this easy to port and all you had to add were some defines and includes, we can add it to SVN and get official support for it. This of course would mean that someone with such a Nokia will have to regularly test it to make sure it still works.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

Sounds good indeed, I'll look forward to seeing some pics. :)
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

You guys rock.

Sure I dont quite like OTTD at this stage, but regardless. You rock.

I know I'll be trying to get my hands on a 770 when they arrive in Australia.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Re: Hurray, we did it !!!

Post by Dextro »

silpol wrote:Hi all,

some of you have read (and some didn't) that we are doing first real open-sourced product here at Nokia - Nokia 770 Internet Tablet, with SW part mirrored for public at maemo.org.

The point why I am writing here - yesterday we made porting OpenTTD on our platform (I'm just happen to be here as one of TTD addicts, you know, they are everywhere). It was a breeze - just compiling!!!. Well, actually you can do it on your own on simulator from maemo.org, but we tried it on real tablet - IT WORKS!!! It is run on ARM architecture and keeps CPU busy for 60% :roll: . There are things to fix still before it becomes real SW for real HW box, but... It is not that long way, and here all credit goes to you, developers - THANK YOU! :wink:

Ah, yeah, I will add screenshots with real HW as soon as the guy with camera and SD card comes back to office :wink:
OMFG GREAT! :shock:

Pity no one is able to port it to the n-gage but that would mean rewritting the whole gui :?

Still guess I'lll try to save up for a 770 when it arrives here in portugal :mrgreen:
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
Nappe1
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nappe1 »

Nokia 770 isn't cell phone is it?

It is just Symbian based PDA with good connectivity hardware, right?

...just wanted to make this clear for myself.
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Nappe1 wrote:Nokia 770 isn't cell phone is it?

Yup that's right :)
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
StavrosG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by StavrosG »

Dextro wrote:

Well... WRONG!
Maemo platform is composed of mainstream Linux and open source software widely deployed in the most popular Linux distributions. At its core is Hildon Application framework, which is based on GNOME technology.
It is a Linux/Gnome based pda :P
If ain't broken, don't fix it. | JabberID: stavrosg@jabber.org

Hello, I am a signature virus. Please copy me to your signature to help me spread.
silpol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by silpol »

Darkvater wrote:Sounds just great silpol!

There has already been a port of a previous version of OpenTTD to PocketPC, but unfortunately as I see it, it has been abandoned. I tried to port OpenTTD for that platform but as it didn't really want to work with the microsoft-supplied emulator and I don't have a pocketpc myself, I gave up.

However if OpenTTD is this easy to port and all you had to add were some defines and includes, we can add it to SVN and get official support for it. This of course would mean that someone with such a Nokia will have to regularly test it to make sure it still works.
well, not that easy :oops: still issues like keybindings, how-to-get-right-mouse-events-on-touchpanel-with-stilus, SDL networking, etc

as for what to add - I will talk to one guy coming back from St.Petersburg: he already did some porting with SDL, and he has all HW/SW setup for that so I hope we will have it soon - in .deb source package if you don't mind :roll:
silpol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by silpol »

no, it is NOT a phone - we actually had a joke that we must wear bandanas with motto "We are not a phone" slogan to answer questions from colleagues from Mobile Phones division :D

and it is not PDA - it is tablet: to browse net at home while your kids occupied all available PC, to went down to cafe at ground floor and read some news in quiet, to play some music from net stream, to hack'n'port some games there :wink: etc. it is broadband device for you :wink:

and no, NO Symbian there - it is Linux derived from Debian distro, with some additives and modifications for handheld platform.

before you asked - this is not a Zaurus from Sharp: not a PDA ;)
silpol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by silpol »

Dextro wrote:

nope, wrong, not a phone, not a PDA ;)
silpol
Engineer
Engineer

Post by silpol »

StavrosG wrote:
Dextro wrote:

Well... WRONG!
Maemo platform is composed of mainstream Linux and open source software widely deployed in the most popular Linux distributions. At its core is Hildon Application framework, which is based on GNOME technology.
It is a Linux/Gnome based pda :P
everything correct except acronym PDA - it is not a PDA, it is tablet... see other comments for more details
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

At 3:33 silpol wrote:<snip>
At 3:41 silpol wrote:<snip>
At 3:42 silpol wrote:<snip>
At 3:44 silpol wrote:<snip>
Image!!!!!
There is NO excuse for making that many posts that close together.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

the edit button gave me a time out?

thats an excuse. :P

but to get back to topic: I perfer a site without frames.
as for the site name: GO wordart!
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

Mr. X wrote:the edit button gave me a time out?

thats an excuse. :P

but to get back to topic: I perfer a site without frames.
as for the site name: GO wordart!
that's not this topic though :P
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

:lol: Hahaha! Wrong topic, X :D

And the games name is OpenTTD, not Open Transport Tycoon Delux... If it was the latter, it'd be elegal. It's just so that everyone knows what TTD stands for, but it dosent say anywhere. Thats how i figure it anyways...
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Nanaki13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Nanaki13 »

OT: When i want to play OTTD with my friends i just im them and say 'tt?' :)
yoshi314
Engineer
Engineer

Post by yoshi314 »

so..what other types of bizarre hardware did you manage to compile openttd for? :]

i think i'll build an OpenTTD livecd...yeahhh :]
if i start from LFS maybe it's stick under 25mb...who knows....that's also a neat idea. if some would figure out how to boot it off USB-Stick (no experience here, i'm just making a development-tool-packed-livecd for fun right now)....^_^

Return to “General OpenTTD”