(New) OpenTTD website - design request

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

(New) OpenTTD website - design request

Post by Darkvater »

As you can see the OpenTTD website is pretty crappy and not really updated. This is mainly because we don't have time to and design websites and program, so it is a bit lagging behind.

Some time ago there was some attempt at a rewrite (http://www.hesslow.se/emil/openttd/website/index.php). I don't think it looks that bad so if the new designer wants, he/she can use that layout to finish up the page after I have asked the original author and he agrees to it.

We would be most delighted if someone took up the job of making a new website for OpenTTD. It should look clean and have a mysql connection to add/update newsmessages, perhaps other pages as well.

So get on with it :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

If noone else wanna take it, i can. I'll probably be geting mandrivia, and thus MySQL, apache, php.. By the end of this week, so i should be able to work again. A website like this wouldnt be much work, i dont think.
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
StavrosG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by StavrosG »

/me *raises hand*

I am no experienced web designer, but I reckon that using wordpress, It wouldn't be too hard to make; Posts for news, Pages for the rest content. :)

Stavros
If ain't broken, don't fix it. | JabberID: stavrosg@jabber.org

Hello, I am a signature virus. Please copy me to your signature to help me spread.
futhamucka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by futhamucka »

Im not too sure what all the different scripts are, such as my sql, etc. but i am very good on the design side of things and could make you a pretty cool site, quite quickly too!
Zion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Zion »

I'll do it if you like, I quite like that other design too. I could probably make something along the lines of http://www.matrixdojo.com but for OpenTTD and TT themed of course.
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

Not sure if this contributes, but I can help design buttons for the site
Yay for buttons! \o/
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
Invisble
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Invisble »

The HTML side of codeing represents few problems, the problems lie in the area's of things like MySQL, PHP and CGI/Perl, the other problem would be a place to host the site (unless it was just to overhaul the present site).

I could do it, though I would personally prefer to work with someone who has a better command of languages like MySQL, PHP and Perl, but that is just me.
vvenaya
Engineer
Engineer

Post by vvenaya »

There is no real need for a new website ... i like it as it is ..

Suggestions :

1) Change that blured image in the header part of the website.
(To your favorite station ?)

2) OpenTTD title really needs a new font ...

3) Center align the menu bar .

4) p'haps add some more content , tutorials , examples of 3/4 way crossings , different stations .

Thats all that needs to be done .

Cheers,

Vvenaya
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

vvenaya, that is basically a new website; at least a new design :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

I like the current design as it is near enough. I especially like the blurry logo - looks different and cool. It would be good to have a logo (do we have a proper one?) in the top right, and a new colour scheme, as well as some updated content.

For the news thing I recommend CuteNews. It supports comments and different level logins for peeps to post news. I am not sure whether it supports MySql now, but it didn't when I used it years ago. If thats not what you want, how about using phpBB fetch-all to link up to the forums?
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

Why not keep it simple and use something like wordpress or movable type? they are very easy to build templates upon since they work sort of like blogger, you have small tags that define where the text goes and still make everything in simple html :)
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
xxxvinniexxx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by xxxvinniexxx »

As a professional webdesigner i always build my sites in the webstandards way. This means xhtml with css.

A good example herefor is http://www.csszengarden.com
Dextro
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Dextro »

xxxvinniexxx wrote:As a professional webdesigner i always build my sites in the webstandards way. This means xhtml with css.

A good example herefor is http://www.csszengarden.com
ahhh the famous CSS zen garden... :)

I really need to take the time to learn mor about CSS, I still don't know much about it but just like xxxvinniexxx I like to keep my sites XHTML 1.0 Transitional compatible and I think that's the way to do it :)
Uncle Dex Says: Follow the KISS Principle!
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Did someone forget this? :P

I could do PHP for the site... I allways code with template support (well, ish) so someone else could do HTML. I can't start at once though, as i allreayd got some projects (Even one i get paid to do), but this aint really much coding to do, is it? What futures would you like the site to have?
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Frankly I was expecting some demos or mockups of a new website design (and I've been too busy to say it here :P ).

I finally got an email back from Wizkid who was working on the website rewrite, so when I have time I'll finish it for him. However if someone in the meantime has a killer design, let me know (eg show it), and we can discuss it :).
Flavius
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Flavius »

Positively agree with Darkvater.

Perhaps a contest or at the least a challenge.
Show us what you can do. :P
jixor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jixor »

I vote you keep the old design, maybe just tweak the graphics, font sizes, etc a bit.

Could add a slight gradient to the nav bar.
Make the background/content back a lighter color.
Smarten up the footer.
Keep the fluid layout (stretches to browser width).
The font in the content box headers could be bold and maybe all caps or some s***, I think also a slight gradient effect in there.
The sites title could be improved, ie make a nice image for it.

And some other issues, but you get the idea.

EDIT
Just added a crappy title that you may like to use on the site.
Attachments
There you go at least a crappy title for the site ;)
There you go at least a crappy title for the site ;)
openttd.gif (10.73 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
I didn't like the first one so I slightly revised it, now its a tiny bit less crap. :D
I didn't like the first one so I slightly revised it, now its a tiny bit less crap. :D
openttd2.gif (11.98 KiB) Viewed 3267 times
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

Booo! :P Those suck

I tried to make a design for the site once, but it has to be green IMO, and nothing goes with green :(
Alltaken
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Alltaken »

ThorRune wrote:Booo! :P Those suck
and nothing goes with green :(
what green was it ;)

many colours go with green, you just need to choose the right greens :P

...... p.s. all colours go with green, green is a colour prevailent in nature, and somthing that is contrasted by EVERY colour in daily life. you get a leaf green, and it will go with almost all colours. of course it might be bright. and considered crass ;)

Alltaken
jixor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jixor »

ThorRune wrote:Booo! :P Those suck...
That was the idea. :)

Not that I'm trying to s*** on ottds graphics. ;)

In all seriousness I might see about making a couple of changes to the current sites style sheet and seeing what people think.

Return to “General OpenTTD”