Graphics Expirement: Double length coaches

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Graphics Expirement: Double length coaches

Post by Purno »

I know these would look ugly in curves, but I would like to see if they're really ugly. I would love it if someone can code these for me? Please?
Attachments
Double length sprites experiment graphics
Double length sprites experiment graphics
Expiremental Longer ICM.png (13.53 KiB) Viewed 9301 times
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

Instead useing this hard color I would suggest useing some dark color for the cutted segments (the pink), so it looks more that they have joint...
Last edited by eis_os on 09 May 2005 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Possibly indeed. But I can always change that later by decoding and encoding the GRF.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

Here you go. It's a Windows GRF and won't work quite right so shouldn't be used in any games. It's fine for testing, but you will need to use it with some other sets to set new sprites, because I've only done a few action 0 properties. After the US Set in newgrfw.cfg works fine.
The articulated carriages is a slight problem because it either needs to be for all passenger carriages or for none, unless you split them up into two separate IDs.

Also, I think that your sprites are a bit short. If you want the train to look perfect, with all the carriages connecting, you'll have to make them a bit longer, particularly horizontally and vertically.
Attachments
longcoachesw.grf
(8.36 KiB) Downloaded 368 times
Spaceball
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Spaceball »

@Purno

You had the same Idea. I wanted to suggest that but I haven't because I thought that it won't get much attention. As we say in Germany: Two Idiots same Idea :D.

If this works it will be a great thing for the ongoing progress of the trainsets.

cu, Spaceball
Contributor to the Planeset.Planeset Thread
DVDs - Gotta Catch Them All!
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Your idea is not the first. Did you hear about xUSSR set?
There is also a set of templates for lengths of 3/8 up to 16/8
Image Image Image Image
KrevRenko
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KrevRenko »

They are SEXY as long as they are on straight track, I have them halves separated in diag, but that's not important.

Maybe a one-and-a-half wagon (12/8, is it?) which would not break in curves would be a good compromise...

[idiocy]Or put an accordeon in the middle of the coaches...[/idiocy]

BTW, George, I'd love to try out soviet machinery, how's the progress on xUSSR? I can read azbuka and although I'm not Russian (I'm Slovak) I could possibly follow the discussions in Russian, but there are probably more people wanting to hear more than just me, so?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

KrevRenko wrote:BTW, George, I'd love to try out soviet machinery, how's the progress on xUSSR? I can read azbuka and although I'm not Russian (I'm Slovak) I could possibly follow the discussions in Russian, but there are probably more people wanting to hear more than just me, so?
The work is in progress. For now we are making additional research for long wagons and also wait for some bug-fixes from Josef. At the same time we are working step-by-step on the set graphics. For now, we focused our attention on wagons (I’m drawing cargos now). If you can read Russian you can track the progress at ttdrussia.net. For whose, who do not speak Russian I suggest to pick up some patience and wait for the end of Joyrider’s research. As soon as he will finish it, we shall realize a pre-pre alpha with wagons and some locos. After that we shall continue filling the set with locos.
Image Image Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Isn't it an idea to share the research outcome sofar on this forums, now that Purno developed an interest in long wagons too? Perhaps the 'brains' around on this forum could shed light on difficult areas?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Hyronymus wrote:Isn't it an idea to share the research outcome sofar on this forums, now that Purno developed an interest in long wagons too? Perhaps the 'brains' around on this forum could shed light on difficult areas?
The problem is you don't speak russian ;)
Image Image Image Image
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

No, but you speak english :P You could give us updates here and there, as well as letting us know what's going on with it. I wouldn't mind scaling up my Auto Racks and SD units :P
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

DanMacK wrote:No, but you speak english :P You could give us updates here and there, as well as letting us know what's going on with it. I wouldn't mind scaling up my Auto Racks and SD units :P
Look the first post here. It includes the latest test for long wagons (see the TsMV)
http://forums.ttdrussia.net/viewtopic.p ... &start=165
Image Image Image Image
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Domain can't be found, George. Some spelling error or did you forget topay ;)?
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Hyronymus wrote:Domain can't be found, George. Some spelling error or did you forget topay ;)?
I do not know why it happens sometimes. And it is not my site, but the site of Oleg, it is a question to him. From my point of view it would be much easier to use a topic on this forum, but some people are too lazy to speak english :(
Image Image Image Image
Oleg
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Oleg »

George wrote:
Hyronymus wrote:Domain can't be found, George. Some spelling error or did you forget topay ;)?
I do not know why it happens sometimes. And it is not my site, but the site of Oleg, it is a question to him.
Well, the problem is that it can be found in some places and cannot be found in some other places, and I can't find the reason for this strange behavior. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
TtdRussia.net - The Russian TTD, OpenTTD, and Locomotion Community
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Oleg wrote:
George wrote:
I do not know why it happens sometimes. And it is not my site, but the site of Oleg, it is a question to him.
Well, the problem is that it can be found in some places and cannot be found in some other places, and I can't find the reason for this strange behavior. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.
I can't access it too
Image Image Image Image
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

hmm.. i can access it, but i can't resolve either primary or secondary nameserver for that domain...
Saskia
Director
Director

Post by Saskia »

Edited: Removed not working address :(
Last edited by Saskia on 12 May 2005 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
jvassie
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jvassie »

Sorry Saskia, link doesnt work! :(

James
(British) Modular Stations Set - Thread: | Website:
Swiss Set - Thread: | Website:
Route Map Creator
My Screenshot Thread
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I was trying to upload this yesterday but suddenly the forums wouldn't load anymore :roll:

Explanation: The 8/8 coach contains the full coach sprite, where the 5/8 coaches contain completely empty sprites. This way the coaches will not bend.
Attachments
Another way of longer coaches
Another way of longer coaches
longercoachesexpirement.gif (3.35 KiB) Viewed 8601 times
Image Image

Return to “Graphics Development”