SimuTrans

Discuss the free TT-like game Simutrans.
Marco
Chairman
Chairman

SimuTrans

Post by Marco »

Talk about SimuTrans here.

Homepage of SimuTrans: http://www.simutrans.org/

Please don't go OT this time...
I have lost my original user id for 20842 :(
I am one of the founders of TT-Forums! Partly...
jeffers
Engineer
Engineer

SimuTrans

Post by jeffers »

Installed and played this...seems quite good but the graphics are very primitive...and any train that I build "Can't find a route" for some reason.

Other than that it seems a good basis on which to go forwards if we are to have a TT2.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Re: SimuTrans

Post by Hajo »

jeffers wrote:Installed and played this...seems quite good but the graphics are very primitive...
IMO the graphics of the newer versions are quite nice.
jeffers wrote: and any train that I build "Can't find a route" for some reason.
Which version are you playing? If it's newer than 0.81.12exp and you try to use electric engines a reason could be that overhead lines are missing on the tracks.

Otherwise just check if there is a piece of track missing somewhere, or if a one-way signal blocks the only route (because wrong direction of the signal).

The "can't find a route" message means that there is no driveable connection to the current destination of the vehicle.

There is a simple saved demo game offered for download here:
http://www.simutrans.de/en/download.html

Maybe it gives some hints.

(Note: the game was saved on linux, and due to a mistake in Simutrans versions up to 0.81.18exp overhead line images are broken if you load savegames from another system architecture. The 0.81.18exp is currently tested by the mailing list members. If there are no serious bug found, it will be relased soon. Until then you can repair the broken overhead lines by clicking them once again with the overhad line buildings tool (hotkey 'e'))
jeffers wrote: Other than that it seems a good basis on which to go forwards if we are to have a TT2.
I hope so :) In 1997 I stered Simutrans because I didn't like some restrictions of TTD - since then The Patch improved TTD drastically so TTD became a moving target which was hard to reach :(

Anyways, I still want to make Simutrans better than TTD. We're still working on it :)

c.u.
Hajo

Ps: There are some nice Simutrans tutorials here:
http://www.simutrans-tips.com/

Maybe they help, too.
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

is there a forum for Simutrans, where u can post problems instead of the maillist thingy ( yahoogroup) ?

I find forums easier than mailinglist, cuz I rather get lost with them.

I have a little problem also with scrolling: can't u make it that when u go near a border it automatically scrolls to there ? Cuz the scrolling doesn't work any good I have to do shift+ the numbers on the top instead of the numpad...
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

gryvix wrote:is there a forum for Simutrans, where u can post problems instead of the maillist thingy ( yahoogroup) ?

I find forums easier than mailinglist, cuz I rather get lost with them.
I'm on dial-up connections mostly, so a mailing list is the most convenient way to communicate for me. A forum requires to be online all the time, but emails can be retrived in bulk, answered offline, and then be sent in bulk later on again.
gryvix wrote: I have a little problem also with scrolling: can't u make it that when u go near a border it automatically scrolls to there ? Cuz the scrolling doesn't work any good I have to do shift+ the numbers on the top instead of the numpad...
Usually you use right-mouse-drag to scroll the map. What kind of problem do you experience?

(Since a very long time noone of the testers mentioned problems with scrolling. On my test systems (Windows 98, 2K and Linux) scrolling works perfectly fine. You can change scroll-speed and invert scrolling direction in the display settings if that's the problem.)

BTW, the BeOS version never scrolled properly - and probably never will, due to a bug in SDL for BeOS.

c.u.
Hajo
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

gryvix wrote:is there a forum for Simutrans, where u can post problems instead of the maillist thingy ( yahoogroup) ?
There is a web interface to the mailing list at Yahoo, but it's full of adverts, as is usual with Yahoo these days. :(
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

another problem I tried several times to let my train going but it always keep saying it can't find the his route...

I checked it and tried simple routes like station,depot on the side, station.

Made a circle continuous loop with two stations in it and a depot on the side still not working.... :(
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

gryvix wrote:another problem I tried several times to let my train going but it always keep saying it can't find the his route...

I checked it and tried simple routes like station,depot on the side, station.

Made a circle continuous loop with two stations in it and a depot on the side still not working.... :(
You still didn't say which version you are using, so I can just guess.

Did you try a diesel engine? If you used an electric engine did you add overhead lines to the track?

How many entries did the schedule have?

c.u.
Hajo

PS: I must admit I'm a bit confused about the problems you report. It doesn't scroll, trains don't drive - hundreds of users on the mailing list happily build really gigantic networks, and you report the most basic functionality does not work. I don't know how to deal with that. I mean those things do work usually, on many different systems. Why don't they work on your system, I'm really clueless. At least I'd like to know which version you are using, and which operating system.
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

version 0.81.16exp

I tried ben-engines (diesel?) electrics and steamengines. I use WinME
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

gryvix wrote:version 0.81.16exp

I tried ben-engines (diesel?) electrics and steamengines. I use WinME
The 0.81.16exp is known to run pretty well, at least according to the messages I get from the mailing list. Also Simutrans is known to work on Windows ME, so that shouldn't be a problem either.

Please, can you build a test game which displays the problem, save it and send me the saved game? I'd like to check the problem on my own system. I hope this way I can see what's going wrong.

The saved games are fairly big, so please use a small map (128x128) and zip the saved game before mailing it.

c.u.
Hajo
spy_force 1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by spy_force 1 »

I keep getting the message when trying to instal simutrans

reading language file it.tab failed
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

So you probably don't have file: it.tab
did you downloaded Main-Pack and EXE-File ??
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
spy_force 1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by spy_force 1 »

Both files are in there.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

I just dowloaded and checked it ... it is working for me ... I have a file it.tab ... you should wait for Hajo .. he is an expert :mrgreen:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

forgot to tell ya Hansjoerg, I reinstalled Simu and now it works fine.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

spy_force 1 wrote:I keep getting the message when trying to instal simutrans

reading language file it.tab failed
This is usually caused by an installation mistake, i.e. some files ended up in wrong folders or subfolders. The installation shoudl produce a folder called 'simutrans' with the following contents (subfolders are enclosed in brackets i.e. [subfolder]):

[music]
[pak]
[sound]
[text]
4x7.hex
COPYRIGHT.txt
cat_4.sve
change_request.txt
changes.tab
de.tab
draw.fnt
en.tab
es.tab
fi.tab
fr.tab
hu.tab
it.tab
music.tab
nl.tab
problem_report.txt
prop.fnt
readme.txt
ru.tab
sdl.dll
simuconf.tab
simud100.pal
simud70.pal
simud80.pal
simud90.pal
simun100.pal
simun70.pal
simun80.pal
simun90.pal
simutrans.exe
simworld.cfg
sound.tab
special.pal
thanks.txt

If the installation left you with another folder structure, you need to install it again. Common mistakes are that some unzip tools do not create subfolders unless explicitely told, and sometimes a second simutrans folder is created inside the first (which is wrong, both are meant to be the same folder).

Please let me know if this helps or if you need further help with the installation.

You can also take a look at this manual page:
http://www.simugraph.com/simutrans/manu ... stall.html

c.u.
Hajo
Last edited by Hajo on 24 Jan 2003 09:27, edited 1 time in total.
Hajo
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Hajo »

gryvix wrote:forgot to tell ya Hansjoerg, I reinstalled Simu and now it works fine.
Good to know :)

Could you figure out what's been the problem with your first installation?

c.u.
Hajo
gryvix
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by gryvix »

well I used Ultimate Zip to unzip Simu the first time, prolly didn't did his job properly so now back to winRAR
G-Klav
Chairman
Chairman

Post by G-Klav »

Well, I don't have any problems with SimuTrans, but I must admit that I find SimuTrans much harder than TTD.
I think it's because I know some good strategies in TTD, but I barely know how to build a working trainstation in SimuTrans (yes, I've been reading the tutorials).
So, can anyone give me some strategies?
In my game I have two coal trains (3 25t waggons and 7 30t waggons), one oil train (5 oil waggons) and one wood truck with a trailer.

I'd be happy with almost everything!! :D
G-Klav

Note: my avatar is best viewed with the 'silver' scheme on the forums.
spy_force 1
Engineer
Engineer

Post by spy_force 1 »

I still keep getting the same message.
Contents of folder:
music
pak
soundtext
4x7hex
change request
changes