UK Renewal Train Set [1.4 release 4/12]

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

UK Renewal Train Set [1.4 release 4/12]

Post by PikkaBird »

Thread out of date - please see the new thread
Last edited by PikkaBird on 01 Feb 2006 07:57, edited 30 times in total.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

Hi all,

I've just come back to TTDP after a year or so away. The game is as wonderful as it ever was, even more so now with the pathfinding through junctions, and the wagon speedlimits and realistic T/E.

Over the last few days, I've put together a few new locomotives (mainly by editing the existing graphics, little if any of this is original). I thought I could flesh out the default BR set a tad, as it's the British Stock (plus Michael Blunck's awesome Cargo Set) I want to play with.

The new set has 3 more locomotives (plus two tenders) and one more freight wagon than the original set, as well as passenger carriage replacements for the DMUs, so some replacements will have to be worked out. I'd like this set to be compatible with the above mentioned Cargo Set.

I have all graphics completed, and all the stats (including lifespans, speed power and TE, and costs) worked out... all I really need is someone to help me put it all together. :)
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Is number 3 Bulleid's Leader?

Number 6 a class 91?

Number 1 a 20?

7 a 37?
Last edited by Born Acorn on 21 Apr 2005 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

I'd say the one in the centre is a class 86/87
I'd like to see the full set though :P
Regarding the GRF's, maybe you can ask Szappy for Grfmaker?
It does almost evrything
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

1st on the left top corner is Class 20
3rd on the left bottom corner is Class 37(thats already in TTD btw..)
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

One thing to say about these locos is that they all look as if they've all been done by Simon Foster himself, they all look like the original TTD locos :)
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
Aegir
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Aegir »

I know... I kinda like the style change.
Currently working under the name 'reldred' on Github, and Discord.
NFO/NML coder, part-time patch writer for JGRPP, and all round belligerent.

14:40 <orudge> I can't say I discriminate against any particular user
14:41 <Aegir> orudge: I can!
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Pikkabird, you might want to try having a little look at this topic. Feel free to skip the first 60-odd pages. ;-) There's a nice little list of things we have and haven't got, however, we're in the process of updating it with anything that's been drowned out over the months.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

ChrisCF wrote:Pikkabird, you might want to try having a little look at this topic. Feel free to skip the first 60-odd pages. ;-) There's a nice little list of things we have and haven't got, however, we're in the process of updating it with anything that's been drowned out over the months.
He wants to revise some of the TTD stock, not do a whole full blown set afaik.

btw Pikkabird if your revising any of the TTD's electric locomotives, add em a pantograph..(if they got one in real life).
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Akalamanaia wrote:He wants to revise some of the TTD stock, not do a whole full blown set afaik.
... which, as we all know, is illegal ;-)

Either way, it makes more sense to have the effort concentrated on one set rather than two.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

ChrisCF wrote:
Akalamanaia wrote:He wants to revise some of the TTD stock, not do a whole full blown set afaik.
... which, as we all know, is illegal ;-)

Either way, it makes more sense to have the effort concentrated on one set rather than two.
Errr no its not..his revising the stock of TTD, and using them inside TTD. Eitherway, you can't use em without TTD Or a good clone of TTD. So its all legal.

and his making a mini-set, not a full blown set.
and atm, yours is not using company colours, his is.
his fits with rest of the TTD Stock, most of yours doesn't.

Let him do his mini-set if he wants, stop trying to recruit everyone to your BR Set cause they want to revise TTD stock or add new stock, but with same style as TTD.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Akalamanaia wrote:Let him do his mini-set if he wants, stop trying to recruit everyone to your BR Set cause they want to revise TTD stock or add new stock, but with same style as TTD.
Jeez, no need to be rude :roll:
Oracle
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Oracle »

You can use my Action 0/4/8 creator spreadsheet if you want (attached) although it has got some (minor) bugs because I never really finished it.
Apart from that, you really need to read the vehicle bits of newgrf.txt and use the example nfo at the bottom. You can, of course, modify or take bits of the US Set if you would like to use them, as it is under GPL, and replace your graphics with some of those.
IDs of vehicles so that you replace the correct ones can be found on the Wiki in http://wiki.ttdpatch.net/tiki-index.php?page=VehicleIDs .

I think you should consider allowing your graphics to be used in the BR set, though, as there is a lack of progress there at the moment.

Anyway, I will give you advice if you want but I can't do any coding for you as I am continually busy (or so it seems).
Attachments
Action 0 4 8 creator spreadsheet.xls
Slightly buggy actions 0/4/8 creator in Excel.
(41.5 KiB) Downloaded 661 times
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

I must say, ver nice graphics :!:
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I might get in touch with Szappy, and see if I can work out the coding myself. I wouldn't want to draw too many resources from the other BR set, and I'm always up for a challenge. ;)

The locos in the pic are:

Class 20, 47, 66
Class 25, 86, 91
Class 37, 310, 92

Oracle, I'll give you a shout if I get stuck - I guess the trickiest things will be the tenders for the steam locos.
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Well...

Post by PikkaBird »

The Steamers are done. 8)

I have no idea how to attach the tenders though. Reading about callbacks makes my brain hurt.

Anyone want to talk me through it?
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I made the decision to ignore callbacks the first time through too.

The articulated engine callback is callback 16. This means that, when coding a Var.02, variable 0C will have the value 16 for this callback. First, ensure that bit 4 (0x10) is set in prop 1E for the engine.

The engine's action 3 should point to a Var.02 that checks to see if variable 0C==0x16. If it is not, return the graphics, as normal. If it is, return the ID of another Var02 that checks variable 10. Unlike normal Var.02s this var 02 needs to have the high byte of the ID-word (the one that is normally "00") set to "FF". Return <Tender-ID> if variable 10 == 0x01, and FF in all other cases:
The action2s will look something like this:

Code: Select all

-1*14 02 00 10 81 10 00 FF 01 <Tender-ID> FF 01 01 FF FF
*1*14 02 00 11 81 0C 00 FF 01 10 00 16 16 <GFX CargoID> 00
Then point the engine's action 3 to CargoID 11.

If you need different lengths for the different tenders, that's callback 11, so do something similar to:

Code: Select all

-1*14 02 00 12 81 0C 00 FF 01 <length> FF 11 11 <GFX CargoID> 00
and point the override 3 to CargoID 12.
Note that there is no need to check any other variable here; you always want to be the same length when following this engine. For this to work, you'll need to set bit 1 (value 0x02) in the *tender*'s properties.

Hope this helped.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

DaleStan wrote:Hope this helped.
It certainly did, thankyou! :D Tenders now show up on locos, although they don't show in the purchasing list...

That's next, along with livery changes (some locos are black, some are CC, and they need appropriately coloured tenders), and getting the tenders showing properly in the depot/info window (they're too close to the loco at the moment).
PikkaBird
Graphics Moderator
Graphics Moderator

Post by PikkaBird »

I worked out the override for the tender graphic. :) Now, to get it to show in the purchase list, and to get it to position properly in the depot window? I can't find any references to these anywhere.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

The purchase list is cargo type FF in the corresponding action 3; for an example, see the Zeppelins, although most people use a 8-sprite set and just use "-1*1 00" for all sprites except the east-bound one.

To fix the vertical offset problem, use an Action D to write to variable 8E. You might find a sample in one of the trainsets. If I'm reading the wiki right, this should work:
-1*9 0D 8E 00 FF 00 <offset> 00 00 00
*checks USSet* Oracle set <offset> to 02. (It's sprite 74 in v0.85, BTW)
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Graphics Development”