[RFD] Constructing roads

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

[RFD] Constructing roads

Post by Hyronymus »

Just something that spring my mind. If you lay roads within the jurisdiction if a city, does the city immediatly become the owner? I would favour that as long as there isn't a stupid limit on the amount of road you can remove and as long as you (or the AI) don't make RV stops unreachable. I thought of this when I contemplated on the shared infrastructure suggestions. I would find it rather annoying to be unable to use/cross city roads that were build by competitors without having to sign a contract for 'sharing their crossings'. Outside the city jurisdiction this would be less a problem. There is enough space to build your own competing network, with bridges or tunnels to cross competitors' roads.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

I think this is a good idea. I'd also contemplate perhaps having the city reimburse companies that build roads for them.
Grunt
(aka Stephan Grunt, CEO of Grunt Transport Inc. since 1994.)
jfs
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by jfs »

... but if your city rating rises as an effect of building roads inside/near a city, it could be just as good as building trees. Clearly that would at the very least need some kind of restriction on when it raised your city rating.

I like the idea of road built inside a city belonging to the city. (Or maybe rather just "being public".) I'm not sure if it should ever be allowed to remove road inside a city, actually... because then some non-transport buildings could be left without road access which is very undesirable, and basically no-one would like.
Actually, I think I wouldn't be against it if modifying roads inside a city was entirely forbidden, except for any automatic modifications done as a result of building transport structures.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

jfs wrote: Actually, I think I wouldn't be against it if modifying roads inside a city was entirely forbidden, except for any automatic modifications done as a result of building transport structures.
...not without substantial bribery and deceit, at least. :) I mean, c'mon.. it just wouldn't feel right if you couldn't at least fund road reconstruction. :twisted:
Grunt
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I must admit with jfs that the ability to remove roads isn't a real must when TE comes with a sane approach to building stations in towns. I think I have a nice suggestion for constructing stations but I'll create a new topic for that.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I thinm the LA should own all the roads, otherwise we could just have a big mess. Although maybe we could have company owned roads coming off main roads to their truck stops.. At least then another company can't just use your roads to start stealing your cargo.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

Isn't that too much TTD thinking? What if TE has drive-through RV-bays?
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

It is? What if?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Steve wrote:It is? What if?
The FRD says that it will, and noone have objected that. So it WILL have drive trought stops.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

I'm not objecting to it, i just want to know what that has to do with anything.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

Steve wrote:Although maybe we could have company owned roads coming off main roads to their truck stops.
...with the drive-through RV bays, we can just put the bay on a stretch of road owned by the LA and not have to worry about building our own roads to serve our cargo stations.
Grunt
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

That's not what i meant. I meant we have a goverment controlled route between London and Skegness, let's call it the P5. A mile off the P5 is a Coal mine. Steve Transport makes a road from the coal mine, linking it up to P5 and thus letting his wonderful trucks make Steve lots of money, so he can buy the world. But watch out! Owen's Oranges wants coal, and plops his own station at the end of my pretty road and starts running his own smelly trucks down it!

I'm simply saying, there is an advantage to road that only the builder can use.

I don't think it's wise to just dump a RV bay in the middle of a road, otherwise when trucks are loading, traffic can't get past! It's have to be off the road slightly, but trucks can still go through.. a bit like a petrol station.
Grunt
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by Grunt »

Well, yes, you're allowed to have roads only you can use if they're outside cities. This is more a question of what happens inside cities.

And an inline truck bay would, of course, most likely have a separate loading zone. Very cheap inline bus stops might not have that option, however :)
Grunt
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Why would we do this any different than tracks?

If you build a road, you own it and if somebody wants to use it, they pay you. That's for outside cities ofcourse.

Inside cities, I guess we should have something like the airport construction : the player proposes it, builds it, pays (a bit) for it, but then the town owns it.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Inside towns, chances are that the town will build all the roads it needs from normal expansion anyway. Any roads built in the town should be defiently owned by the town, but what about roads that come into it's area as it expands? I guess we'll have to add them too.

As for the proposing road suggestion, i think it needs to be automatic in the planning mode for normal road building or it's probaly too much detail for something we may not do A LOT of.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Steve wrote:Inside towns, chances are that the town will build all the roads it needs from normal expansion anyway. Any roads built in the town should be defiently owned by the town, but what about roads that come into it's area as it expands? I guess we'll have to add them too.
I think they should stay owned by the player, but maybe forced open-acces to everyone against a fixed fee.
Steve wrote:As for the proposing road suggestion, i think it needs to be automatic in the planning mode for normal road building or it's probaly too much detail for something we may not do A LOT of.
Ofcourse, I just listed it, to show that the town might say "no".
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

For cities it was suggested that they will first build 2 lane roads in the middle of the tiles, and the rest would be grass or park. Later on they will upgrade it to a 4 lane road, when needed.

Why not use the extra space becides a 2 lane road for stops. And for 4 lae roads have the stops at the outer lanes. This way a company that builds a stop cant block the traffic on public roads. Alltroght on a 4 lane road the traffic will be a bit hindered.

For roads that YOU own, wou should be allowed to place stops on 2 lane roads, that block the traffic if you want. (not sure about this, becuse it might lead to less sharing of roads.)
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

When was the last time you were stuck behind a bus at a bus stop for long enough that it really mattered?
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

ChrisCF wrote:When was the last time you were stuck behind a bus at a bus stop for long enough that it really mattered?
Well, in simutrans I find it quite anoying that buses block the street compleetly at that direction when they stop.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

minutes of meeting 2005-03-05 wrote: * VOTE: Are we going to add traffic for visual effect? Quick poll, yes/no.
RESULT: Yes: 3, No: 2
This means that we have to make a dev poll. Right?

Return to “Transport Empire Development”