Transport Tycoon Forums

The place to talk about Transport Tycoon
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:52 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 642 Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:19 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Darkvater wrote:
I would also like to encourage mapmakers to make more maps for the Arctic and Tropical climates! Temperate is a bit boring after a while and players need diversion :wink:

...and on that subject here is a tropical one that I designed years ago. I thought it was a masterpiece at the time, but now I'm not quite sure, but anyway - see what you think.

One issue is that it's converted from an old DOS TTD file, and while it's been tweaked quite a bit and resaved, it seems you can only play it on medium difficulty, no matter how you change the settings, before or after editing, or before playing it. Any solutions to this weird problem would be much appreciated - though I haven't checked with 0.3.6 yet, so it may be fixed already.

Anyway, here's the scenario file.

Attachments:
Echo Map.gif
Echo Map.gif [ 28.74 KiB | Viewed 12345 times ]
File comment: Echo.scn
Echo.scn [97.12 KiB]
Downloaded 709 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:21 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Ok, so a scenario based in a fictional, yet mountainous British County.

(Im very bad at naming things)

Attachments:
File comment: Woo for bad naming!
The Mountains of Kenshire.scn [127.13 KiB]
Downloaded 644 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:38 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

1. I really like Echo..looks pretty good. It seems a pretty though job of getting food to those poor towns in the desert ;). I would tweak the industries a little, that mining town should perhaps have 2 mines of the same type?

2. Kenshire: those two towns are imho way too big. You can't even fit in a decent airport or anything it's so dense and town authorities will kill you for demolishing your houses. The road around the map looks nice, altough I could take the one into the snow-town through a valley as in real life and have a serpentine to the town at the end. The middle seems really dull; there is nothing to do there besides some factories. I think a town reaching into the water and slowly going up the hills into the snow would look great. The problem with those big towns is that you cannot really grow them anymore....you need more centres....like two-three towns very densely next to eachother acting as one. Don't be afraid to put up signs saying the name of a valley or a canal. Also it is not uncommon for mountain-roads to have tunnels.

Keep up the good work! These scenarios are certainly improved over the older ones :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:01 am 
Tycoon
Tycoon

I reworked the larger towns and filled the gap in the middle.

Also, signage.

Attachments:
The Mountains of Kenshire.scn [127.14 KiB]
Downloaded 567 times
kenshire.PNG [49.38 KiB]
Downloaded 1198 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:14 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Darkvater wrote:
1. I really like Echo..looks pretty good. It seems a pretty though job of getting food to those poor towns in the desert ;). I would tweak the industries a little, that mining town should perhaps have 2 mines of the same type?

Thanks...

I had no idea a town could have two mines of the same type! Of course the scenario was largely produced in TTD so didn't make use of OTTDs new features. I'll see if I can sort that out, anyway (I assume it's an option in one of the OTTD menus somewhere). I'd probably rearrange the plantations and farms slightly too in that case.

I may try my hand at producing a few more scenarios if I find time - it'd be good to help out somehow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:24 am 
Engineer
Engineer

Here i've got my first (unfinished) scenario! please tell me what you think of it! but dont look at the empty parts cus im working on that!

Attachments:
File comment: Bleachwater Hills :)
Bleachwater Hills.scn [67.69 KiB]
Downloaded 567 times
File comment: the Map
map1.GIF [34.22 KiB]
Downloaded 1190 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 12:47 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

Jungle, also don't forget that you can set the initial production rate in the scenario editor in 0.3.6 :) I mining town should not have a mine with 80tons of stuff in it ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:03 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

suggestion: don't use the random landscape generator as a starting position... your map will always look a bit generated at the end...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:27 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

you think? hmm but as i said i wasent finished yet :)

Hoezo Redbull?Geef mij maar een vliegtuig!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:10 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

IsleLand,
This is my map. I like this one, since ships can play an important role,
coal production is high, beacuse of the CoalIsle. Oilrigs enough but with a low production (2 of them don't :wink: )

Have fun!

Attachments:
IsleLand.scn [49.02 KiB]
Downloaded 676 times
IsleLand.PNG [30.46 KiB]
Downloaded 1307 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:04 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Darkvater wrote:
I would also like to encourage mapmakers to make more maps for the Arctic and Tropical climates! Temperate is a bit boring after a while and players need diversion :wink:

:shock:
no toyland? ;(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:41 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Korenn wrote:
suggestion: don't use the random landscape generator as a starting position... your map will always look a bit generated at the end...

Unfortunately you have to use the random map on the desert/tropical landscape, because otherwise (as of 0.3.6) you can't have a desert. The best you can get is a kind of messy half-desert / half-grassland, and that only by clicking 'desert' on thousands of tiles one by one. Given that about half the industries available are clearly designed for use only in the desert, this isn't very helpful for scenario design. This was a problem with the original TTD, of course, not just OTTD...

You also - I think - can't create a rainforest. You can place individual rainforest trees (which looks exactly the same, although it takes ages), but that doesn't seem to make it properly 'rainforest', just 'trees' and thus you can't have a lumber mill on the map.

Talking of scenarios, here is Echo v2 (the only changes are to the industries):

Attachments:
File comment: Echo.svn, 2nd version
Echo.scn [101.53 KiB]
Downloaded 502 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:27 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

And... (sorry for the double post, too many attachments!)

Here's two more scenarios for you.

Beartrap Forest: a remote snowy plateau - somewhere in Canada, perhaps. All the towns are hidden away in a (narrow) river gorge, out of the icy wind. It might be 95% flat, but this is definately not easy! :twisted:

Lagos Swamp: a rather easier map, set in a swampy river delta. A little too much water is the only problem here.

Enjoy...

(OK - the swamp PNG may not work on some computers, but apparently it does on some... not sure why... if you really want to see it save it and view offline)

Attachments:
Beartrap Forest.scn [62.33 KiB]
Downloaded 689 times
Lagos Swamp.scn [99.67 KiB]
Downloaded 695 times
Lagos Swamp.png [133.19 KiB]
Downloaded 1384 times

Last edited by jungle on Sat Jan 29, 2005 11:30 am, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 9:33 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

your picture of swamp is black :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:18 pm 
Director
Director

Looks good to me...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 10:30 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

thats weird it was black for me, and I know that my computer is not 100% functional, but never had probs with viewing pictures!?!?! well, guess that jungle got the same prob, (he got it removed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:12 am 
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

@jungle: Maybe you should have used Firefox or Opera to view the picture. IE is known to have problems displaying PNG images. It looked just fine here in Firefox.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:54 pm 
Engineer
Engineer

Ok, here's my first scenario! I wanted to make one where you really have to think about where you are putting your train routes etc. instead of just plowing through hills :P
Dunno if I achieved that, I only just finished it so I haven't played it yet!

Attachments:
Dinora Islands.scn [75.14 KiB]
Downloaded 961 times
File comment: The Islands of Dinora are fast becoming a very popular tourist destination. Develop a transport network to help impove the local economy and attract more tourists!
DinoraIslandsOverview.png [129.47 KiB]
Downloaded 1472 times

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:58 pm 
Logo Creator

Mr. X wrote:
IsleLand,
This is my map. I like this one, since ships can play an important role,
coal production is high, beacuse of the CoalIsle. Oilrigs enough but with a low production (2 of them don't :wink: )

Have fun!

I think its quite funny to see that about 50 people have downloaded the preview picture and only 7 have actually downloaded the scen...

I dont mean to say anything with this, its just something I noticed :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:31 pm 
Tycoon
Tycoon

jungle wrote:
Lagos Swamp: a rather easier map, set in a swampy river delta. A little too much water is the only problem here.

Enjoy...

(OK - the swamp PNG may not work on some computers, but apparently it does on some... not sure why... if you really want to see it save it and view offline)

swamps have more trees, no? ;)
Got a pic of Beartrap Forest?

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 836 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 642 Next