[OTTD] Scenarios

Post your custom scenarios here. Saved games also welcome. All Transport Tycoon games acceptable (including TTDPatch and OpenTTD).
jungle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jungle »

Darkvater wrote:I would also like to encourage mapmakers to make more maps for the Arctic and Tropical climates! Temperate is a bit boring after a while and players need diversion :wink:
...and on that subject here is a tropical one that I designed years ago. I thought it was a masterpiece at the time, but now I'm not quite sure, but anyway - see what you think.

One issue is that it's converted from an old DOS TTD file, and while it's been tweaked quite a bit and resaved, it seems you can only play it on medium difficulty, no matter how you change the settings, before or after editing, or before playing it. Any solutions to this weird problem would be much appreciated - though I haven't checked with 0.3.6 yet, so it may be fixed already.

Anyway, here's the scenario file.
Attachments
Echo Map.gif
Echo Map.gif (28.74 KiB) Viewed 17445 times
Echo.scn
Echo.scn
(97.12 KiB) Downloaded 859 times
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

Ok, so a scenario based in a fictional, yet mountainous British County.

(Im very bad at naming things)
Attachments
The Mountains of Kenshire.scn
Woo for bad naming!
(127.13 KiB) Downloaded 798 times
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

1. I really like Echo..looks pretty good. It seems a pretty though job of getting food to those poor towns in the desert ;). I would tweak the industries a little, that mining town should perhaps have 2 mines of the same type?

2. Kenshire: those two towns are imho way too big. You can't even fit in a decent airport or anything it's so dense and town authorities will kill you for demolishing your houses. The road around the map looks nice, altough I could take the one into the snow-town through a valley as in real life and have a serpentine to the town at the end. The middle seems really dull; there is nothing to do there besides some factories. I think a town reaching into the water and slowly going up the hills into the snow would look great. The problem with those big towns is that you cannot really grow them anymore....you need more centres....like two-three towns very densely next to eachother acting as one. Don't be afraid to put up signs saying the name of a valley or a canal. Also it is not uncommon for mountain-roads to have tunnels.

Keep up the good work! These scenarios are certainly improved over the older ones :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I reworked the larger towns and filled the gap in the middle.

Also, signage.
Attachments
The Mountains of Kenshire.scn
(127.14 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
kenshire.PNG
kenshire.PNG (49.38 KiB) Viewed 3589 times
jungle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jungle »

Darkvater wrote:1. I really like Echo..looks pretty good. It seems a pretty though job of getting food to those poor towns in the desert ;). I would tweak the industries a little, that mining town should perhaps have 2 mines of the same type?
Thanks...

I had no idea a town could have two mines of the same type! Of course the scenario was largely produced in TTD so didn't make use of OTTDs new features. I'll see if I can sort that out, anyway (I assume it's an option in one of the OTTD menus somewhere). I'd probably rearrange the plantations and farms slightly too in that case.

I may try my hand at producing a few more scenarios if I find time - it'd be good to help out somehow.
Pimmeh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pimmeh »

Here i've got my first (unfinished) scenario! please tell me what you think of it! but dont look at the empty parts cus im working on that!
Attachments
Bleachwater Hills.scn
Bleachwater Hills :)
(67.69 KiB) Downloaded 715 times
the Map
the Map
map1.GIF (34.22 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
<^=-_PH33R T|-|3 R3@P3R_-=^>
Hoezo Redbull?Geef mij maar een vliegtuig!
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Jungle, also don't forget that you can set the initial production rate in the scenario editor in 0.3.6 :) I mining town should not have a mine with 80tons of stuff in it ;)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

suggestion: don't use the random landscape generator as a starting position... your map will always look a bit generated at the end...
Pimmeh
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Pimmeh »

you think? hmm but as i said i wasent finished yet :)
<^=-_PH33R T|-|3 R3@P3R_-=^>
Hoezo Redbull?Geef mij maar een vliegtuig!
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

IsleLand,
This is my map. I like this one, since ships can play an important role,
coal production is high, beacuse of the CoalIsle. Oilrigs enough but with a low production (2 of them don't :wink: )

Have fun!
Attachments
IsleLand.scn
(49.02 KiB) Downloaded 828 times
IsleLand.PNG
IsleLand.PNG (30.46 KiB) Viewed 3698 times
Storwin
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Storwin »

Darkvater wrote:I would also like to encourage mapmakers to make more maps for the Arctic and Tropical climates! Temperate is a bit boring after a while and players need diversion :wink:
:shock:
no toyland? ;(
jungle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jungle »

Korenn wrote:suggestion: don't use the random landscape generator as a starting position... your map will always look a bit generated at the end...
Unfortunately you have to use the random map on the desert/tropical landscape, because otherwise (as of 0.3.6) you can't have a desert. The best you can get is a kind of messy half-desert / half-grassland, and that only by clicking 'desert' on thousands of tiles one by one. Given that about half the industries available are clearly designed for use only in the desert, this isn't very helpful for scenario design. This was a problem with the original TTD, of course, not just OTTD...

You also - I think - can't create a rainforest. You can place individual rainforest trees (which looks exactly the same, although it takes ages), but that doesn't seem to make it properly 'rainforest', just 'trees' and thus you can't have a lumber mill on the map.

Talking of scenarios, here is Echo v2 (the only changes are to the industries):
Attachments
Echo.scn
Echo.svn, 2nd version
(101.53 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
jungle
Engineer
Engineer

Post by jungle »

And... (sorry for the double post, too many attachments!)

Here's two more scenarios for you.

Beartrap Forest: a remote snowy plateau - somewhere in Canada, perhaps. All the towns are hidden away in a (narrow) river gorge, out of the icy wind. It might be 95% flat, but this is definately not easy! :twisted:

Lagos Swamp: a rather easier map, set in a swampy river delta. A little too much water is the only problem here.

Enjoy...

(OK - the swamp PNG may not work on some computers, but apparently it does on some... not sure why... if you really want to see it save it and view offline)
Attachments
Beartrap Forest.scn
(62.33 KiB) Downloaded 819 times
Lagos Swamp.scn
(99.67 KiB) Downloaded 844 times
Lagos Swamp.png
Lagos Swamp.png (133.19 KiB) Viewed 3775 times
Last edited by jungle on 29 Jan 2005 11:30, edited 5 times in total.
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

your picture of swamp is black :?:
ConductorBob
Director
Director

Post by ConductorBob »

Looks good to me...
DeletedUser21
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DeletedUser21 »

thats weird it was black for me, and I know that my computer is not 100% functional, but never had probs with viewing pictures!?!?! well, guess that jungle got the same prob, (he got it removed)
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

@jungle: Maybe you should have used Firefox or Opera to view the picture. IE is known to have problems displaying PNG images. It looked just fine here in Firefox.
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Bot_40
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Bot_40 »

Ok, here's my first scenario! I wanted to make one where you really have to think about where you are putting your train routes etc. instead of just plowing through hills :P
Dunno if I achieved that, I only just finished it so I haven't played it yet!
Attachments
Dinora Islands.scn
(75.14 KiB) Downloaded 1094 times
The Islands of Dinora are fast becoming a very popular tourist destination. Develop a transport network to help impove the local economy and attract more tourists!
The Islands of Dinora are fast becoming a very popular tourist destination. Develop a transport network to help impove the local economy and attract more tourists!
DinoraIslandsOverview.png (129.47 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
Observer
Logo Creator

Post by Observer »

Mr. X wrote:IsleLand,
This is my map. I like this one, since ships can play an important role,
coal production is high, beacuse of the CoalIsle. Oilrigs enough but with a low production (2 of them don't :wink: )

Have fun!
I think its quite funny to see that about 50 people have downloaded the preview picture and only 7 have actually downloaded the scen...

I dont mean to say anything with this, its just something I noticed :D
Never fear, I is here...
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

jungle wrote:Lagos Swamp: a rather easier map, set in a swampy river delta. A little too much water is the only problem here.

Enjoy...

(OK - the swamp PNG may not work on some computers, but apparently it does on some... not sure why... if you really want to see it save it and view offline)
swamps have more trees, no? ;)
Got a pic of Beartrap Forest?

Return to “Scenarios and Saved Games”