Subsidiaries management (latest build: r7213)

Forum for technical discussions regarding development. If you have a general suggestion, problem or comment, please use one of the other forums.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Hi,

I've been away for a few weeks because of my Ski Intructor Training (which I passed :)), but I'm back now. So I'm going to port the patch to the newest version.

I plan to post 2 binaries on monday.

- A patched OTTD 0.3.5 which will have the patch disabled in network mode (So as to keep it compatible with the official OTTD version).

- A binary which incorporates all the changes of the nightly builds, and hopefully a network support for subsidiaries.

Here are some details for the planned network support, feel free to suggest anything

1. It will not be possible to create a new subsidiary in network mode (subs can exist only by buying out an opponent, which can be done as traskjd suggested). This is because OTTD allows only 8 players, and each sub counts as one player.

2. As in the single player game, subsidiaries can use another companies tracks and stations, however players cannot administrate other subsidiaries (I'm still wondering if this is a good idea, any insight on this particular point would be highly appreciated). This particular point means than the owner of a company which has been bought out keeps the ownsership of his company (which is IMO better to keep the game interesting for the bought out player).

3. Players can still transfer money, however any money request (as in A asks B some money) is subject to acceptation from the player playing the company which sends the money (so B is asked "Do you accept to send XXXX € to A" with a possible to increase or decrease the amout, and one to simply refuse the transfer). This makes sense only if point 2 is implemented.

4. To make this whole thing really usefull, have some kind of cooperative station and city ratings to virtually remove the competition between the subsidiaries, and make using subs financially attractive. (This one also needs some thinking, please just say anything that comes to your mind, even if it seems obvious: Any suggestion is usefull).

That's it, now the bug reports:

tgsc:It is normal not to see the new 0.3.5 menus/buttons in my patch, because it was made before those were added to the game. From what you said, I suppose the savegame you had a problem with was from OTTD 0.3.5, which might explain the problem. I'll investigate this problem anyway.

jake:Will it ever become part of OpenTTD? I was told by someone on IRC that one of the devs though this wasn't a good idea, but I was never told neither who nor why. But heck! This won't keep me from posting new versions on the forum...

Lord of the Pigs
Sometimes I'm told "Brilliant"...
Sometimes I'm told "Charming"...
And Often I'm told "Shut Up"!
StavrosG
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by StavrosG »

LordOfThePigs wrote:Hi,

I've been away for a few weeks because of my Ski Intructor Training (which I passed :)), but I'm back now. So I'm going to port the patch to the newest version.

I plan to post 2 binaries on monday.

- A patched OTTD 0.3.5 which will have the patch disabled in network mode (So as to keep it compatible with the official OTTD version).

- A binary which incorporates all the changes of the nightly builds, and hopefully a network support for subsidiaries.
First of all, congratulations for your Ski instructor licence. :D
On the patch now:
Assuming that you'll post windows binaries, I would like to see the source posted as well...
I'm playing on Linux, and REALLY want to play this patch :)
Lord of the Pigs
Stavros
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Sure, no problem, I'll post both the binaries and SVN .diff file, as usual.
ShaggZ
Engineer
Engineer

Post by ShaggZ »

Looks really great, but how do i install it?

(May be a dumb question but i am still an engineer ain't i? :lol: )
<ShaggZ> #Openttdcoop
http://electricpotential.net/openttdcoop/

To love is painful, that is true, but not to love is painful too, but still there is a bigger pain, to love and not be loved again.
STOP THE WORLD! I WANT OFF
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

LordOfThePigs wrote:Sure, no problem, I'll post both the binaries and SVN .diff file, as usual.
As I've pointed out to other people, a diff is not sufficient if you post a binary.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

The reasons make sense.

I'll post a zip with the source (or is a .tar.gz more convienient for linux users?)
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

So,

here'a an updated version. It's built against the SVN revision 1480. For some reason I have been totally unable to make it compatible with 0.3.5 for network play.

This version is just an updated version of my last post. I'll post a version with proper internet game support as soon as possible.

I won't post the full source right now, since this is just an intermediate release until I get the network to work.

Please report any single player bugs. These must be cleared out in order to have a consistent network play.

Lord of the Pigs
Last edited by LordOfThePigs on 13 Jan 2005 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

hi Lord of the Pigs,

great work again.

I would like to do an german language pack, what do you need?
Jango
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Jango »

DaleStan wrote:
LordOfThePigs wrote:Sure, no problem, I'll post both the binaries and SVN .diff file, as usual.
As I've pointed out to other people, a diff is not sufficient if you post a binary.
A diff is perfectly sufficient because it allows people using any platform to try the patch.

If you need the latest source, read here: (Obtaining Source Code)

If you need to compile it on Windows then read here: (Cygwin)

But please please don't encourage people to just post binaries because they will never compile all the different binaries needed for the different platforms.

Edit: oh and by the way: This is completely redundant. Because SVN is being used, you can check out any version/revision you like, and since LoTP has told you which revision it is patched against, you can easily get the correct source code for yourself rather than wasting harddrive space on this machine
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Jango, I think his argument was

"What if the SVN crashes, I can't get the correct source code to apply the patch on." The case where they decide to discard some old revisions to save disk space on the server is also possible.

I think the argument makes sense for along duration project. But right now,everything works fine and it's easy to grab the correct source. If getting the correct revision becomes impossible, I'll post a full source code. But until then, a diff is enough.

Bernhard, i you want to create a german language pack, download the attached file and translate all of the english strings into german. Your next duty is to stay tuned on this topic and I'll tell you whenever new strings are added.

Lord of the Pigs
Attachments
english_str.txt
English new strings
(2.38 KiB) Downloaded 196 times
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

ok.
will do that.

here it is............... can i use it now? (sorry for the question, cannot test at the moment, i'm on work............ ;-) )
Attachments
german_STR.txt
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Bernhard, now dowloand the attached file and extract it into your langs directory. You should then be able to play it in german.
Attachments
german.zip
German language pack
(22.42 KiB) Downloaded 146 times
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

Thanks a lot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PeteB
Engineer
Engineer

Post by PeteB »

Hmm, I'm not sure what's happened, but I loaded my main save game into the new subsiduries version and within a couple of minutes my trains started running into red signals. Here's a screenshot.
Attachments
Cubourne Bridge Transport, 13th Aug 1977.png
Cubourne Bridge Transport, 13th Aug 1977.png (151.76 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
Wenihal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wenihal »

Hello.

I have some problems with running your patch. I have OpenTTD 0.3.5 and everything was ok. I downloaded your patch (windows bin), unzipped and copied to my openttd directory. When I run ttd.exe it wants: TRG1R.GRF, TRGIR.GRF, TRGCR.GRF. I have this files but without last 'R' in the name. So I renamed this 3 files. Game started but it looks like on screenshot (this pink color arghhhh). Could you help with this?
Attachments
pink_ttd.jpg
pink_ttd.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

you are useing the DOS-grf's.

The win grfs do contain the 'r'.
Wenihal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wenihal »

Bernhard wrote:you are useing the DOS-grf's.
Well ok, but openttd 0.3.5 works fine with DOS-grf's and this patch doesn't.

Maybe I can download win grf's from somewhere?
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

Wenihal wrote:
Bernhard wrote:you are useing the DOS-grf's.
Well ok, but openttd 0.3.5 works fine with DOS-grf's and this patch doesn't.

Maybe I can download win grf's from somewhere?
yes. 0.3.5 does.

LordOfThePigs wrote that he has a problem with 0.3.5 and his patch is based on the svn revision 1480! unfortunately there is no nightly aviable with this rev. I will hope that the nightly with rev.1483 will do.
Don't you have the win-grf?
Wenihal
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wenihal »

Bernhard wrote:Don't you have the win-grf?
Now I have, thx a lot ;)

LordOfThePigs: it's the best add-on to the original ttd, keep up the good work :)
LordOfThePigs
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by LordOfThePigs »

PeteB, could you please post the savegame so I can look into this in a little more detailed way please.

When you report a bug, it's always preferred to post both a screenshot and the savegame. It's much harder to debug if I don't have the screenshot.

Lord of the Pigs

[edited 15mins later] Ok, I've been able to reproduce the bug. I'll take your case as an example for explaining the problem.
When a train passes that signal, the signal goes red (until then, everything is normal). But if the train chooses to get out through the green or the red exit, the signal on the blue line is not notified that the train has exited the block. This is probably due to the fact that your signals are all on different colored tracks.

I'll correct this bug. What i suggest you to do to continue playing while I correct the bug, is to replace the first square of your green and red lines by a blue track, and put the signals on the blue track. That should do the trick.

Return to “OpenTTD Development”