[request] Flat dock graphics

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

[request] Flat dock graphics

Post by Mek »

Hello everyone,
i'm currently working on flat docks, but as you can see in this screenshot, the parts that are on land desperately need other graphics:
So i was hoping some of you great graphic artists are willing to draw me the 4 sprites i need. (one for each direction). It is not (yet) possible to have different sprites for the water-part of the dock, so i only need sprites for the land-parts.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I, personally, prefer to modify graphics, so if you could post the four sprites that need fixing, I'd be more likely to look at them. No guarantees, though, as I still feel like my plate is pretty full.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

DaleStan, he said he needs land part of that dock so you only have to find it in trg1[r].grf and you can modify them there
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:find it in trg1[r].grf
Oh. Right.
:oops:
*rummage*
For those who are interested, the sprites in question are 2731 and 2732. (just two)

Here are two different versions of the dock; I'm not sure which'll work better. The first pair have the watery pixels recolored to grassy colors; the second pair have them completely removed.

The GRF (zipped) contains nothing except these four sprites, but it does contain the offsets from trg1r.grf.
Attachments
docks.zip
(2.3 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
docks.png
docks.png (2.46 KiB) Viewed 9143 times
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

Erm... It's the land-based part of the docks that needs drawing, not the water-based part.
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

I think I did close to the right thing, despite not doing enough research.

Sprites 2727-30 (the 4 land parts) are just correctly trimmed and slightly re-colored versions of sprites 2731-2 (water parts). Knowing this, I'd probably go with the second pair of sprites, and they'll probably need to be duplicated.
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

Prof. Frink wrote:Erm... It's the land-based part of the docks that needs drawing, not the water-based part.
but the land-based part of the flat docks is currently the same as the water-based part, so this was exactly what i wanted... now i only have to figure how to write the code to use these custom sprites...
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

If the new sprites don't include grass pixels and if you don't think you'll need snowy/deserty docks, it would be easiest to implement this via action 5.

On the other hand, it may be that most of the code for the docks sprites is already patched (through newstations; I'm not sure though), so adding it to the newstations feature may not be too much work either. That way you could even imagine n different docks graphics, although coding the graphics selection would then be the major amount of work. But initially it doesn't need to be selectable, I suppose.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Wouldn't you have to extend the Patch in order to get these to work at all, anyway? Because the game is expecting there to be a slope at the edge of the water.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
eis_os
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by eis_os »

(There is room for this aswell in the action code of canals, as simple subtype, it doesn't work without canals anyway)
TTDPatch dev in retirement ... Search a grf, try Grf Crawler 0.9 - now with even faster details view and new features...
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

eis_os wrote:(There is room for this aswell in the action code of canals, as simple subtype, it doesn't work without canals anyway)
Yeah, that was probably the easiest way of doing it, as you can see in this screenshot, this looks much nicer.
Attachments
flatdocks.png
flatdocks.png (59.96 KiB) Viewed 8954 times
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

any chance to make land-part going down so it can be connected to road :?:
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:any chance to make land-part going down so it can be connected to road :?:
if somebody will make the graphics, of course it is possible...
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Actually, what you'd want is HALF of the land-part going down to ground level, in a ramp. And the other half, which stays the same level, you'd put yellow and black warning stripes on. That way it could be a loading dock when a truck backs up to it, or the truck could go up the ramp onto the actual dock, depending on what was needed. Of course the trucks wouldn't actually behave that way, but it would look right.
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

krtaylor wrote:Actually, what you'd want is HALF of the land-part going down to ground level, in a ramp. And the other half, which stays the same level, you'd put yellow and black warning stripes on. That way it could be a loading dock when a truck backs up to it, or the truck could go up the ramp onto the actual dock, depending on what was needed. Of course the trucks wouldn't actually behave that way, but it would look right.
except that right now, to use a dock with trucks you build an entire loading bay already, which would make the dock-based one superfluous.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Korenn wrote: except that right now, to use a dock with trucks you build an entire loading bay already, which would make the dock-based one superfluous.
Not necessarily. Remember that the truck loading docks aren't really there, the trucks back up to the back edge of the bay because there isn't room for a building there. If you built the truck bay with its back up against the dock, it'd fit. The side of the dock, that is.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

meh
Attachments
dock_slopes.PNG
dock_slopes.PNG (2.21 KiB) Viewed 8872 times
dock_slopes2.PNG
dock_slopes2.PNG (1.1 KiB) Viewed 8862 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, that works well enough anyway.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

I could do some buildings, crane or even new styles, if you want, Ive got the time now
Attachments
extrastyles.PNG
extrastyles.PNG (1.77 KiB) Viewed 8854 times
wide.PNG
wide.PNG (1.14 KiB) Viewed 8847 times
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

The trouble with putting buildings on the dock is that they will unavoidably be out of scale either with the buildings on shore, or with the ships themselves. An overhead crane doesn't have any obvious scale so it doesn't cause a problem, but we already have one of those.

Return to “Graphics Development”