NewGrfs' test topic

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

NewGrfs' test topic

Post by Wolf01 »

here i put my tests' results

* last update [03 jun 2006]

Code: Select all

[newgrf]
# OK - the game works with no errors and the set is fully supported
# Works - the game works but the set is not fully supported
# Starts - the game starts but the set is not supported, various errors
# OoO - Out of Order, the game doesn't start

# ---- graphical only ----
alpinew.grf            #OK, alpine terrain on artic climate
newwatw_612.grf        #OK, new coast line
dutchcatw.grf          #OK, new dutch catenary
newbridgesW.grf        #Works, one bridge incompatible with newstatsw.grf (crash the game)
basetunnelsw.grf       #Works, glitch on maglev tunnel
ttrsw.grf              #Works, Total town replacement set (Zimmlock's) (OLD Version)
TTRS3w.grf             #Starts, new version, i don't know arguments to make it working
tempenh2.grf           #OK, Temperate terrain enhancement: gridless + euroadset
tempenhw.grf           #OK, Temperate terrain enhancement: gridless
CzRoadSetw.grf         #OK, not compatible with newbridges.grf (glitches only)
csrailsetw.grf         #OK, glitches on bridgeheads

# ---- vehicles sets ----
# - ships -
newshipsw.grf          #OK

# - road -

# - trains -
tempsetw.grf           #OK, Michael Blunch temperate set
tropicstw.grf          #OK, tropical set, engines only
cargosetw.grf          #??
dbsetw.grf             #OK
dbsetxlw.grf           #OK
pb_ukrs.grf            #OK, UK rail set

# - aircrafts -
planesetw.grf          #OK, planeset old version
planesetw_459.grf      #OK, planeset old version rearranged

# ---- station graphics ----
newstatsw.grf          #OK
usstatsw.grf           #Works, glitches
harbourw_456.grf       #OK
fakeap_161.grf         #Works, glitches on tropic
CanStnw.grf            #OK, Canadian Stations
jstatsw_195.grf        #OK, Jezulkim's station set
jcindstaw.grf          #OK, Jezulkim's industrial stations
bare_tilesw.grf        #OK, generic stations
basic_platformsw.GRF   #OK  "
pgs-freiw.GRF          #OK  "
pgs-subuw.GRF          #OK  " but glitch on the name of the last platform
pgs-silvw.GRF          #OK  "
pgs-counw.GRF          #OK  "

# ---- others ----
mars.grf               #?? old version
ccol2w.grf             #N/A: loaded automatically by OpenTTD
pb_ukrsi.grf           #Starts, do nothing
Found errors:
* newbridges incompatible with newstations: when comes on the viewport the triangular bridge the game crashes to windows asking to send an error report to microsoft
* still appear catenary on bare land tiles of bare_tiles.grf
* glitches on Amtrak stations gui (not possible to select both stations, but both are buildable)
* newstations: the name of some tiles doesn't become white when selected on the gui (on basic platforms set)
* predefined station button on "Station building (small)" set, as last item of the list, not selectable
* if you close the toolbar when building a station and reopen it to build a station, the tile list is empty, you have to re-select the station on the list
* newstations: graphical glitch on coal unloader, 4*3 stations have one tile turned, but trains can pass trought

Generic infos
* climatic sets doesn't affect other climates (example, dbset do not affect toyland trains)
* all grf i've tested are tested individually, test them in all combinations will take a lot of time
Last edited by Wolf01 on 03 Jun 2006 15:51, edited 24 times in total.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

put in this topic all sets you want to test, so i verify if they are compatible with other sets
worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: NewGrfs' test topic

Post by worldofklaus »

Wolf01 wrote:- dbsetw.grf
some problems with tropic and arctic climates and toyland, in temperate works well,
the gap beetwen the tender and the first wagon is too large
no monorail in 2000 (first monorail egine in 1998)
what about dbsetxlw.grf?

-> I experienced that the long distance coaches are not available, the coaches are always in their final color scheme (it is supposed to change every like 10 years or so...), and the "ICE-TD"-engine in already available in the 60's.

also, would there be a way to just use diffeerent sets parallely, so that you can buy the trains from all sets used?
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: NewGrfs' test topic

Post by Wolf01 »

worldofklaus wrote:
Wolf01 wrote:- dbsetw.grf
some problems with tropic and arctic climates and toyland, in temperate works well,
the gap beetwen the tender and the first wagon is too large
no monorail in 2000 (first monorail egine in 1998)
what about dbsetxlw.grf?

-> I experienced that the long distance coaches are not available, the coaches are always in their final color scheme (it is supposed to change every like 10 years or so...), and the "ICE-TD"-engine in already available in the 60's.

also, would there be a way to just use diffeerent sets parallely, so that you can buy the trains from all sets used?
dbsetxlw is not supported at all, but i tried it with 0.3.2.1
i can re do the test with 0.3.3

i don't understand your "use parallel sets", if you mean build engines from temperate set then use them in dbset, this can't work because all sets overwrite all engines
worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by worldofklaus »

no, I meant if in future times there will be several sets with different vehicles for the temperate climate, lets say a dutch set and a french set, then wouldn't it be good to be able to buy vehicles from Germany AND the netherlands AND France?

Well dbsetxlw seems to work in a way, I'm using 0.3.3. But I've had a closer look, all the graphics are totally mixed up, the tanker and the armored van both look like the post wagon, whereas the grain wagon looks like the original armored van. thats pretty weird but I can live with it. also, every engine has an absolutely strange time of appearance (as I said, the ICE-TD in the 60s, and so on)

I will try the normal dbsetw now
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

yes, your idea would be cool, especially applied to multiplayer games, one player can use German set, one France set, one US set and so on, and you can view the other sets how they are, not with your sets graphics, but with the player own graphics sets, this make necessary a set download, when the game start all players share they sets
this also would be cool with share tracks patch, so you can sare your tracks with another company and so you can see different sets in the same tracks
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

i got the autorization from George to test the Long Vehicles set
TTDMad
Engineer
Engineer

Long Buses

Post by TTDMad »

I am trying to add ikarbusesw.grf to OpenTTD

[newgrf]
0 = ikarbusesw.grf

but I cannot get it to work. Is it supported? If not, where can I download Long Buses that are supported? Sorry to ask such a dumb question, this is my first posting!
ThorRune
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by ThorRune »

No new rvs in OTTD yet, sorry
Alcohol is not the answer, it just makes you forget the question.
Celestar
Director
Director

Post by Celestar »

TTDMad:

The newgrf support is just being worked on, and we hope to have full newgrf support when 0.4.0 is released.

Celestar
TTDMad
Engineer
Engineer

Buses

Post by TTDMad »

Great thanks
The14given
Engineer
Engineer

Post by The14given »

Just tried dbsetw.grf with OpenTTD Mobil, it works fine, first Monorail Engine 1998 and I can build Monorails!?
Besucht uns:

UPDATE: Banner Contest mit Preisauschreiben
News, News, News
Toiletman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Toiletman »

I don't know if this topic is meant only for graphic sets, but I've just replaced a whole lot of my graphics and the new bridges aren't working correctly. I haven't done a real scientificly correct experiment, but perhaps some1 could just try the new bridges file on a clean setup and see if it works. Anyway here's a screenshot; the old sprite shows through at the backside of the new bridges:
Only Dead Fish Go With The Flow
yARi
Engineer
Engineer

Why these graphics doesn't work

Post by yARi »

I can't get any of these new graphics to work on my OpenTTD.
Dunno why, but I've tried all of em.

Where do I have to put those .grf files to get them work?

graphics works just fine with ttdpatch/basic ttd, but not with OpenTTD.. I guess I'm doing something wrong here :<

Yeah, I added these lines to my .cfg ;

[newgrf]
0 = VolvoTrucksw.grf
1 = newshipsw.grf

**** EDIT ****

Looks like everything else is working except trucks.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

yAri, you are not doing anything wrong. NewGRF support is experimental and NOT FINISHED. So if it works, you are lucky, if it doesn't be patient :).

Toiletman: I think you didn't edit the sprites fully cause those are remains of some old bridges :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
mdhowe
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mdhowe »

I've been doing some testing with r577 and this is what I found:

*DB Set XL has stopped working, it worked with octos patch.

*Latest Planeset works well except for helicopters:
Eurocopter AS-332 Super Puma - Acts like a plane (won't land on heliport & no rotors)
Sikorsky S-61 - Name is wrong (Powernaught Helicopter) & acts like a plane.
There is another helicopter named "B" designed in 1997. I'm not sure what that is but it works fine.

*Dalestan's Zepplinsw.grf doesn't work at all, they are helicopters without rotors (I think). The error message:

openttd: engine.c:234: SetCustomEngineSprites: Assertion `group->sprites_per_set == 4 || group->sprites_per_set == 8' failed.
"Set fashion, not follow. Spit vitriol, not swallow" - Marilyn Manson
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Wow! Possiblity of having zeppelin! great! I hope it doesn't land on helipad :D
buddy
Engineer
Engineer

Post by buddy »

MeusH wrote:Wow! Possiblity of having zeppelin! great! I hope it doesn't land on helipad :D
actually thats not to far off the mark....the empire states building's upper floors and tower were originally concieved as a downtown airterminal for zepplins and such.........great idea but not practical....but the game is a game so......the possibilities are amusing :shock:
Attachments
zepplin.jpg
zepplin.jpg (18.9 KiB) Viewed 44874 times
MeusH
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by MeusH »

Zeppelins should cover place of 2 aircrafts on small airports (they will be not used in era of large airports, I think).
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

mdhowe wrote:*Dalestan's Zepplinsw.grf doesn't work at all, they are helicopters without rotors (I think).
Not quite. They are helicopters with invisible rotors. This is an important development distinction, but immaterial for gameplay.
mdhowe wrote:The error message:
openttd: engine.c:234: SetCustomEngineSprites: Assertion `group->sprites_per_set == 4 || group->sprites_per_set == 8' failed.
That's because there are two sprites for the rotor. One stationary, and one for ALL moving views.
This could be fixed by using 4 rotor sprites, but that's a dodge that'll just hide the problem until later, as the officially valid numbers of sprites in each rotor set for TTDPatch are 4, 7, 10, 13, ... However, any number can be provided.
buddy wrote:
MeusH wrote:Wow! Possiblity of having zeppelin! great! I hope it doesn't land on helipad :D
actually thats not to far off the mark....the empire states building's upper floors and tower were originally concieved as a downtown airterminal for zepplins and such
Currently Zeppelins are capable of landing on heliports (not much you can do about that, within the confines of the patch), however, we intend to replace the heliport with a Zeppelin mooring mast during the Zeppelin years.

@OTTD GRF Devs:
According to Josef, the magic number is (1+3*n) per direction (set), with four or eight directions (sets). Two views also works for TTDPatch. In this case, I am guessing that the missing sprites are created by duplicating previous sprites.
*recodes Zeppelinsw.grf*
*starts TTDPatch*
The missing sprites are produced by duplicating the animated sprite.

AIUI (BICBW, as it isn't quite working for the Chinook) each set should contain all sprites for one direction (stationary, then moving) (so 2 or 4, 7, 10, 13, ... sprites, in one, four, or eight sets/directions), and a Variational Action 02 is then used on variable 9F (vehicle struct byte 1F, which contains the current direction) to select the correct rotor set.

Fine Print:
This is still a rather alpha feature of the patch, and may change as time goes on; no guarantees are made as to the accuracy of this information now, nor at any point in the future.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Graphics Development”