Very simple guide to OS X installation

Got a problem with OpenTTD? Find some help here.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

antonyxx
Engineer
Engineer

Very simple guide to OS X installation

Post by antonyxx »

Hi,

Is there such a document anywhere?
I Don't know anything about the terminal or Darwin etc.
I have downloaded the 1.3MB DMG file called OpenTTD.

When I try to start OpenTTD this appears:

Last login: Wed Oct 6 22:14:59 on ttyp2
cat /library/logs/console/$user/console.log; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
You have new mail.
ibook:~ antony$ cat /library/logs/console/$user/console.log; exit
cat: /library/logs/console//console.log: No such file or directory
logout
[Process completed]

Is there anything I must do after installation?

I have the 'Replay' by Infogrames version of TTD deluxe which i couldn't install under VPC6.

Thanks

antony

:oops: :oops:
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

I have to think of some clever way to fix this issue where a lot of mac users don't get the error message. It worked on all the computers I tested it on :(

What you can do is open console (in applications/utilities) and look for the error there. It would be a good idea to open it, then run openTTD and look for whatever lines it would have added

Without an error message, it is a bit hard to tell what is wrong. Odds are that you are missing a file in data, which you should have copied from TTD (sample.cat and the grf files)

NOTE: if you read what connectix and MS says about VPC, they both say that it is not designed for games. Some works and some don't. It is not THE gaming option.
antonyxx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by antonyxx »

Hi,

Is there a installation guide available for novices.
I can't find any information about copying files from the cd or where data should be stored in the enclosed documentation.
Do i need to copy all the files from the cd into the openttd folder?

thanks

antony
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

check the doc folder. I hope you downloaded the release from sourceforge. The nightly build are for betatesters only and lack som stuff that you can get from the release

What you need to do is to copy (from WIN TTD) sample.cat and all the .grf files into the data folder in OpenTTD

for music, you should also copy the GM folder. It should be in the OpenTTD folder, not the data folder
NOTE: Music is disabled my default in the last release due to a bug. You can enable it from CLI.... every time you start it
chris5156
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chris5156 »

I've found what I think your problem was - I had it too.

The .grf files have to be from a specific version of TTD. The ones the program looks for and requires are called:
sample.cat
trg1r.grf
trgcr.grf
trghr.grf
trgir.grf
trgtr.grf

But these come from the Windows version of TTD. If you get the GRF files from the original, DOS version, they're called:
sample.cat
trg1.grf
trgc.grf
trgh.grf
trgi.grf
trgt.grf

...and OTTD screams and refuses to take them. This is what happened to me - I own the DOS version and OTTD wouldn't use my files.

The solution I found was to download the graphic sets from the Windows version which someone has thoughtfully put online in an archive on their own. I think I can justify doing this because I own a legal copy of the game and require a different version of the same files, but I can't encourage anyone who hasn't paid for TTD to do the same. The URL of the graphics files (found elsewhere on this forum) is:

http://www.thorrune.sea-host.net/TTD/TTDgraphics.rar

Drop the contents of this archive into the OTTD's data folder and everything works fine.

Hope this helps.

Chris (bit of a newbie)
antonyxx
Engineer
Engineer

Post by antonyxx »

Thank you so much.
The game worked immediately.
Did you also manage to enable the music to play?

antony :lol:
chris5156
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chris5156 »

Glad it worked! Enjoy OTTD... 8)

I haven't got music working yet - the documentation says it needs the original files from the game again. There should be a folder called GM (presumably for 'Game Music') among the original files that needs dropping somewhere specific in the OTTD folder. A root through the readme file should do it.

I don't listen to the TTD music any more - I did for a while but I know it far too well these days and now I just put a CD on!

Any chance the tip above about the files could be put somewhere visible in the OTTD docs?

Chris
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

antonyxx wrote:Thank you so much.
The game worked immediately.
Did you also manage to enable the music to play?

antony :lol:
if you don't want to start OTTD from CLI, you can just download the nightly build. Currently it is pretty similar to 0.3.4 (main difference is some lang updates) and it have fixed the music issue on mac
to get music, you must have the gm folder inside your OTTD folder. Also it needs to be the music files for windows, as they are not the same format as the ones for the DOS version
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

chris5156 wrote:Any chance the tip above about the files could be put somewhere visible in the OTTD docs?Chris
it says root folder of OTTD. That means the folder containing the folders data and lang
chris5156
Engineer
Engineer

Post by chris5156 »

Bjarni wrote:it says root folder of OTTD. That means the folder containing the folders data and lang
Sorry - didn't make myself clear. I mean the point that it has to be Windows files, not DOS ones. I only found out by trial and error - I had no idea there was a difference.

Chris
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Post by orudge »

chris5156 wrote:There should be a folder called GM (presumably for 'Game Music')
For "General MIDI" actually. With the Windows version of TTD, you can either have General MIDI music, FM (Frequency Modulation) music, or AWE32 music. ;)

Return to “OpenTTD Problems”