LAS (Large Airports Set) 5% Complete [ON HOLD]

Got an idea for a new feature in TTDPatch? Post it here.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

LAS (Large Airports Set) 5% Complete [ON HOLD]

Post by SuperTycoon »

Right! enough is enough! i'm sick of playing with these beautiful new planes (download planeset! Public Beta now available) and i've got 3 weeks off school, and all my set work will be done by tommorow, so if someone will show me how, and someone will make the graphics then i will code larger airports! any help with the coding would be appreciated 8)

I need a list of all the type of airport we will need, and then some graphics

[EDIT] If i do this does it make me a patch developer? :D
Last edited by SuperTycoon on 07 Apr 2006 08:59, edited 4 times in total.
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

If i do this does it make me a patch developer?
Everyone who does patches for TTDPatch is a patch developer, so it does :D

( Technically, you'll also need to ask Joseph to include your changes, but I can't think of a reason why he'd reject anything... )

But don't forget that when Joseph said it's a lot of work he really meant that...
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

Csaboka wrote:
But don't forget that when Joseph said it's a lot of work he really meant that...
ok try me...how much is A LOT?
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Csaboka wrote:
ok try me...how much is A LOT?
First you need to understand how the existing airports work, that means going through the disassembly database and figuring out what each bit of code does. You need to figure out how the state machine works, how the aircraft movement pattern works etc.

Then you need to figure out a way to add new airports to the game, both the GUI part of it and the savegame representation.

Then you need to make them work, which probably means duplicating TTD's code but in a way that it supports your new airport type(s).

All in all you're looking at probably well over 50-100 hours of work, and that's assuming you already know how to code in assembly language and are able to read it. If you don't, add the time to learn that as well.
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

oh dear :cry: well it'll be a challenge anyway! i'll try my best, but don't hold your breath people, it's not imminent. I'll keep posting here to keep you all updated on progress, and when i've learnt to code we'll need to find out what types of airport are needed, and some graphics for them too

@ Patchman where can i find this dissassembly database, and some info on how to understand it?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

:bow: in advance, SuperTycoon! We're all behind you!
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

I think this would be a good start:
http://www.liacs.nl/~tfarago/ottd/airports.html

You may also try contacting Darkvater, he was the one who coded the airports for OpenTT. He may give you some useful advices too.
Don't expect him to help you with the coding, though. OTTD is coded in C, while TTDP is in ASM.

Suggestion:
I'd recommend starting to improve the movement around on the deafult large airport. The landing/takeoff queue is good, but the 'going to hangar', and the 'going to terminal 2 and 3' parts are quite bad. The main problem is, that only one plane can move around on the hangar/terminals side of the airport, and it's quite bad.
Image please use email instead of PM
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

krtaylor wrote::bow: in advance, SuperTycoon! We're all behind you!
Thanks, looks like i'll need all the support i can get!
I think i understand the theory pretty well, i just need to get the hang of the coding, and that could take a while
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

SuperTycoon wrote:where can i find this dissassembly database, and some info on how to understand it?
One version of the disassembler database can be found at Marcin's site, along with instructions of how to download the freeware version of IDA to view the database.

I can't help you with x86 assembly tutorials, but I'm sure Google can :wink:
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

Csaboka wrote:
SuperTycoon wrote:where can i find this dissassembly database, and some info on how to understand it?
One version of the disassembler database can be found at Marcin's site, along with instructions of how to download the freeware version of IDA to view the database.

I can't help you with x86 assembly tutorials, but I'm sure Google can :wink:
The links on Marcin's site are broken, - which doesn't help, so is there anywhere else i can find it?
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

Strange, I can download ttdmem.idb just fine. If you can't, I can send it to you via e-mail (1.8 MB).

The link to IDA indeed seems to be broken, but you can find it here.
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.—Philip K. Dick
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

Csaboka wrote:Strange, I can download ttdmem.idb just fine. If you can't, I can send it to you via e-mail (1.8 MB).
here.

that would be great thanks, send it to g.cracolici@gmail.com
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

You really shouldn't have publicised your plans. Now everyone expects you to go through with this.

Still: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Csaboka
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Csaboka »

I've sent you the database via e-mail. Please tell me soon if you didn't get it, since I'll go home tomorrow (no internet there) and I'll be off-line next week.
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

thanks Csaboka! I'll get to work on understanding this stuff!
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Re: LAS (Large Airports Set) 0% Complete (Researching)

Post by DaleStan »

Enough of this!!
half the world wrote:download planeset! Public Beta now available
WHERE!?!

The only links I've found here point either to the 55 (and counting) page dev thread[0] or the dev site[1].

To top it all off, Google is being decidedly perverse.

On the other half of the topic, can those useful links upthread be stickied someplace obvious? These links have been duly noted, and will (hopefully) be useful when I start trying to hack on TTDPatch code (sometime soon, barring unforeseen events).

[0] Despite the fact that it is possible to link to specific post.
[1] In which download links are conspicuous only by their absence.
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

You probably mean this ?
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
SuperTycoon
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by SuperTycoon »

The coding is making slow progress, but Celestar has started drawing graphics tiles, and some airport layout plans may be posted at some point
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

If you are not too strict on copyright stuff you can look at a really early revision of OpenTTD to see how airports were handled there. Because it is exactly like in the disassembly and is probably easier to understand. Take care though (this goes fod disassembly too) that all 2 airports and heliport/oilrig are together...so you really have to puzzle at times what airport is meant exactly.

When it is done you can really easily plug it in, actually only in one place (at least in OTTD, but I think the same goes for TTD).

Well good luck! :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
DaleStan
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by DaleStan »

Darkvater wrote:If you are not too strict on copyright stuff
OTTD is GPLed. TTDPatch is GPLed.
The copyright problem would be?
To get a good answer, ask a Smart Question. Similarly, if you want a bug fixed, write a Useful Bug Report. No TTDPatch crashlog? Then follow directions.
Projects: NFORenum (download) | PlaneSet (Website) | grfcodec (download) | grfdebug.log parser

Return to “Suggestions”