Post your map requests here!

Got a nice scenario or saved game for Locomotion? Post it here!

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post your map requests here!

Post by metalangel »

If there's a certain region you'd like to see as a map but don't have the skills, request it here! If you're a mapmaker but aren't sure what you'd like to do next, here's some inspiration!

-South Wales and the Valleys
-Kent and Sussex (3rd rails everywhere!)
-Edinburgh and Glasgow
-The Republic of Ireland
-The Irish Sea
-France
-Australia (this would need some clever choices of vehicles, like some US locomotives but also some UK ones like the Class 43)
"(Locomotion is) one of the best-playing games of its type." -Chris Sawyer

Northeast Corridor - South Wales & the Southwest
Slace
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Re: Post your map requests here!

Post by Slace »

metalangel wrote: -Australia (this would need some clever choices of vehicles, like some US locomotives but also some UK ones like the Class 43)
sweet, I've been after one of these, just haven't had time to make it myself.
Cheesechiu
Engineer
Engineer
Location: Peoples Republic of China,Hong Kong Special Administrative Region,La Salle College

Post by Cheesechiu »

how about a China Map?
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Finland...
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

metalangel wrote:-South Wales and the Valleys
I've already done this one, albeit not brilliantly. When I get my hands on better terrain data I'll try and do a better one. Map orientation is the main problem - it would be difficult to do it without either taking in Somerset or going too far north.
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

I might try that one :) When i get bored... Although my standard isnt great.. (as you've prob seen from my other map)

:) I can get the land outline pretty good but the hills and stuff.. MEH!

Davie
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Hold on, and I might be able to get you some good terrain data for that ;)
Overlord1191
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Overlord1191 »

-Edinburgh and Glasgow
-The Republic of Ireland
-The Irish Sea
-France
-Australia (this would need some clever choices of vehicles, like some US locomotives but also some UK ones like the Class 43)
I'm willing to make a map for any of the above. I can find topgraphy maps and covert them into land sizes (see my Georgia and Florida maps) but I don't know much about the trains, industries and types of equipment because I don't live over there. I live in the US and know my region pretty well.

I also know most of the community online here is European. Which is great. But I'm dealing with a steep learning curve.

Why don't we co-work some maps. I need someone who lives in the above locations and knows the crappy editor that LoMo came with inside and out. I'll work the topgraphy using Ampz's mapgen and you place the cities industries and set up the types of vehicles. How does that sound?

BTW: There were a lot of great Austrailian topography maps online, I would recommend building that one first.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Grand Canyon
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

If anyone wants UK or ROI data, contact me privately to say which bits of the country you want, and I'll arrange for you to get them. I have slightly better than the 1km data provided by NOAA.
Davie_UCF
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Davie_UCF »

Overlord1191 wrote:
-Edinburgh and Glasgow
-The Republic of Ireland
-The Irish Sea
-France
I'm willing to make a map for any of the above. I can find topgraphy maps and covert them into land sizes (see my Georgia and Florida maps) but I don't know much about the trains, industries and types of equipment because I don't live over there. I live in the US and know my region pretty well.

I also know most of the community online here is European. Which is great. But I'm dealing with a steep learning curve.

Why don't we co-work some maps. I need someone who lives in the above locations and knows the crappy editor that LoMo came with inside and out. I'll work the topgraphy using Ampz's mapgen and you place the cities industries and set up the types of vehicles. How does that sound?

BTW: There were a lot of great Austrailian topography maps online, I would recommend building that one first.
Well if you could create the land for the Kent/Sussex one... I could put the towns on... I dunno :)
East of England/East Anglia scenario/map released!! http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?p=205440#205440
Ethan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Ethan »

I would like to see state of Texas :) I am tempted to create Texas.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Here is some DEM data. Be warned, this 250k file extracts to 100MB. Most of the tile is empty, with a small bit fo Pembrokeshire in one corner. If anyone can figure out what format it is and how to get it into a more useful format, they get one of any part of the UK or Ireland in a Loco landscape format or a Gmail invite. Anyone that doesn't want UK or Ireland data and already has Gmail will have ot make do with a cookie. :)
Attachments
ascdem_sr.zip
Pembrokeshire coast, a couple of islands, and s*** of sea.
(237.8 KiB) Downloaded 478 times
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Well Overlord me old china, you could do South Wales, the area would be Newport at one side, Swansea or Carmarthen at the other, with Barry and Cardiff at the south and Brecon at the top. Pretty much everything on this link, except unfortunately I can't stop it chopping off Barry and Llantwit Major, for some reason.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi? ... 000&icon=x

Then we need someone to mod the breweries so they produce actual beer instead of food, and create a 'council estate' industry that consumes beer and produces 'scallies' who need to be taken to power plants and 'thrown into the furnace' :twisted:

I did an Ireland map for TT, it was quite amusing - the huge four-track mainline between Dublin and Cork, not at all like the rusting orange behemoths that slowly trundle the real route.

ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

metalangel wrote:except unfortunately I can't stop it chopping off Barry and Llantwit Major, for some reason.
And why is that a bad thing? :P
create a 'council estate' industry that consumes beer and produces 'scallies' who need to be taken to power plants and 'thrown into the furnace'
That's one way of serving the people of Merthyr Tudful - Grill the Gurnos :)

I did a map a while ago, and I've probably still got theoriginal source maps I used for them to scale up from the 1km DEMs. Of course, if anyone can tell me what I'm supposed to do with the data in the above zip file, you can have 25m resolution data.
metalangel
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by metalangel »

Because I think it would be amusing to keep an ancient Jinty running around Barry Island? :wink:

Mind what you say about the Gurnos, we've got one of them in my work and if you so much as say 'Gurnos' she's ready to kill you cos she assumes you're slagging it off. :roll:

I've no idea how to use DEM, sorry, there's loads of people on the Auran TRS2004 forums who might know.

ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Grr. It seems searching the official forums is pointless, it throws up about half the topics in the German language forum there :(
Overlord1191
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Overlord1191 »

Davie_UCF wrote:
Well if you could create the land for the Kent/Sussex one... I could put the towns on... I dunno :)
Ugh I've been looking for an hour for a decent UK topography map!!

US maps are everywhere. I can find Austrailia Africa and South American but no UK China or India....! :x

Hell, I even found topography maps for MARS AND THE MOON!
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

Well, I finally found a way to open up the data I've acquired. Attached is a sample image of the Gower peninsula. From Rhossili Bay on the left-hand side to Swansea Bay on the right is about 10 miles IRL. Something doesn't quite seem right about this pic however. Might need to restart the tool I'm using before I start processing the data to get images.

As a guide, each tile on the National Grid is approximately 100MB of raw data, so it's useful if you know which tiles you're after.
Attachments
WARNING - the resolution on this is much bigger than the filesize lets on.
WARNING - the resolution on this is much bigger than the filesize lets on.
gower_dem.png (136.39 KiB) Viewed 1076 times
The UK National Grid
The UK National Grid
natgrid.png (35.13 KiB) Viewed 1043 times
Bugzilla available for use - PM for details.
ChrisCF

Post by ChrisCF »

I guess nobody wants the terrain, then.

Return to “Locomotion Scenarios and Saved Games”