[Release] Concrete bridge

Discuss, get help with, or post new modifications, graphics or related tools for Locomotion in this forum.

Moderator: Locomotion Moderators

scrat
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

[Release] Concrete bridge

Post by scrat »

Enjoy!

Follow instructions in the readme file.
Last edited by scrat on 07 May 2005 02:28, edited 11 times in total.
Singaporekid
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Singaporekid »

Looks beautiful :D
But what's those stuff at the slopes?
Can you remove them?
<+Raichase> ugh, I just ate some of my beard D:
scrat
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by scrat »

singaporekid_92 wrote:Looks beautiful :D
But what's those stuff at the slopes?
Can you remove them?
Well... no. It's because that maniac, ahem, excuse me, the inimitable Chris Sawyer has coded in such a way that the base of a gradient should always be the same as the base of a straight bridge part. (I'll bet you money that is the reason why no other bridges than the brick bridge have gradients in the game).

The only way around this that I can think of is to design a separate rail track with a concrete base and have the bridge consist only of support pillars. (If I do that now the rail track would sometimes appear to float in the air). The new concrete base track would only have the concrete bridge as a possible bridge type and voila!
I believe someone else is developing a compatible high speed track, so I'll wait to see what comes of that.

(I really hope that track includes wide curved gradients...)
PennCentral
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by PennCentral »

That's pretty neat lookin. 8)
DT&I forever!!!! :)
Small_Fryz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Small_Fryz »

so its unlimited speeds all curves and sloped?
norfolksouthern37
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by norfolksouthern37 »

why not disable the slopes then, but leave in the curve features.
scrat
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by scrat »

Small_Fryz wrote:so its unlimited speeds all curves and sloped?
Not quite. The bridge doesn't impose speed restrictions on the speed of the track type. But if the track type limits the speed of a curve to 65 then so will the bridge. That said, there are no speed penalties for gradients, which is the important part.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Would definately use if it wouldn't have sticking out parts sometimes..
scrat
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by scrat »

I have disabled slopes, because they looked silly. :cry:
scrat
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by scrat »

scrat wrote:I have disabled slopes, because they looked silly. :cry:
I'm an idiot. Problem solved with a creative workaround.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

How come the picture has 2 different versions in it?

Also, i think you should cut down on the speed. Unlimited doesn't make sense for such a flimsy design. It doesn't look very strong.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

Looks can be deceiving ;)
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Well, at least make it more expensive or something.
I think we should add a degree of realism to the new bridges, to provide them with situations where they would be used, and situations where there are better options. Eg: If your bridge is as cheap as a brick bridge, there is no reason to ever use the other bridges.
scrat
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by scrat »

Steve wrote:How come the picture has 2 different versions in it?

The second one is what happens when you use brdgcon1.dat for anything else but sloping. I haven't discovered the bit flag to limit a track to slopes only. (It does work well for stations though).
Steve wrote:Also, i think you should cut down on the speed. Unlimited doesn't make sense for such a flimsy design. It doesn't look very strong.
What ChrisCF said. Also, consider the bridge is made of concrete and any flimsiness is entirely due to my shortcomings in the graphics department.
Steve wrote:Well, at least make it more expensive or something.
I think we should add a degree of realism to the new bridges, to provide them with situations where they would be used, and situations where there are better options. Eg: If your bridge is as cheap as a brick bridge, there is no reason to ever use the other bridges.
The pricing is equivalent to that of a girder bridge, but I'm totally open to suggestions. To be frank, I hadn't even begun to consider this.
Steve
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Steve »

Well, why not combine both versions? We can only have 8 bridges, no need to waste a slot.

Bridge info can be found here: http://wiki.locomotiondepot.net/index.p ... geBuilding

I think we need to limit the use of super speed slopes in some way. Mine for instance, only work on ground level. Also, if you make it too much like another bridge but with slopes, then it completely negates the other bridge.
Loewe13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Loewe13 »

The mod has a bug, i fixed it for you:
you couldnt select the bridgetype when you made the mistake and selected another bridgetype in the mod without slopes. now its available.

I also allowed me, to change the version number about 1 count
Attachments
brdgconc_1.03.rar
(231.25 KiB) Downloaded 3280 times
scrat
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by scrat »

Well, why not combine both versions? We can only have 8 bridges, no need to waste a slot.
I have already explained my reason for doing so. But to reiterate, Locomotion paints a slope like this:
  • 1. Pillars.
    2. on top of that the base tile of a straight bridge part.
    3. on top of that diagonal filler, for instance bricks to fill up the brick bridge
    4. and finally on top of that the sloped bridge part.
This works great if for brick bridges because they're solid and step 3 hides step 2, but it really produces awkward effects when the bridge (like this one) isn't solid.

This is how the concrete bridge would look if it was just one file:

Code: Select all

________
 /_       _\
/           \
Cheers. I'll keep fiddling with it until I get it right. Expect an update tomorrow.
I think we need to limit the use of super speed slopes in some way. Mine for instance, only work on ground level. Also, if you make it too much like another bridge but with slopes, then it completely negates the other bridge.
One of my reasons for making this bridge was that, although I like the girder bridge, it often makes a visual mess, making it hard to see or place signals or manipulate tracks above or below it. So, yes, I grant you that from my point of view the concrete bridge replaces the steel girder one.

I will make it more expensive to start with (I'd appreciate your input with regards to the pricing) and will limit the slope speed somewhat (again I will appreciate input).
scrat
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by scrat »

Loewe13 wrote:The mod has a bug, i fixed it for you:
you couldnt select the bridgetype when you made the mistake and selected another bridgetype in the mod without slopes. now its available.

I also allowed me, to change the version number about 1 count
Thanks, although I wasn't aware of any problems. Could you please tell me which lines in the xml files you have changed, because I have to integrate your changes into my current development version. (We might need a webbased sourcesafe server to keep track of all the different mods and versions in the future :D )
Loewe13
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by Loewe13 »

ok here are the lines:
trackst.xml
OLD:
<variable name="numbridges" size="1">5</variable>
NEW:
<variable name="numbridges" size="1">6</variable>

OLD:
<useobject desc="bridge[4]" class="14">BRDGWOOD</useobject>
NEW:
<useobject desc="bridge[4]" class="14">BRDGWOOD</useobject>
<useobject desc="bridge[5]" class="14">BRDGCONC</useobject>
The Fjonis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by The Fjonis »

So is it then entirely impossible to make smooth-curved bridges? I HATE those ugly corners.. Even though the game is 2D, I still can't find a reason why it should not be possible to make such curves. I mean, it's only a question of making illustrations from 4 different angles. :evil:

Return to “Locomotion Graphics, Modifications & Tools”