Is a vehicle stats editor needed?

Got an idea for OpenTTD? Post it here!

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Would you like to have/see an in-game editor for vehicles stats?

Poll ended at 29 Sep 2004 20:07

Yes
43%
No
34%
Not in-game, but rather as a stand-alone application
23%

Total votes: 35

Silver-Knight
Engineer
Engineer

Is a vehicle stats editor needed?

Post by Silver-Knight »

Thoughts and suggestions are most welcome.
Doc Oc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Doc Oc »

Looking to make a Mach-5 Maglev? 8)

If there's ever such a thing as a vehicle stats editor it definately qualifies as a cheat. I won't miss it if it's not there...

but you can always just go ahead and code the patch and see if people like it :).
Sometimes the same is different, but mostly, it's the same.
Silver-Knight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver-Knight »

You just made by 100% yes to 50% no. That's not nice of you :)

Just kidding.

I don't see it has a cheat. Using TTD Alter, and a book about modern airplanes, I changed all of the planes to fit the real world capacities and speeds. I think its stupid to assume that all jet planes travel @ 947 km/h.

I love realism to the details, and I feel this does add up to the game play experience.
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

Silver-Knight wrote:I don't see it has a cheat. Using TTD Alter, and a book about modern airplanes, I changed all of the planes to fit the real world capacities and speeds. I think its stupid to assume that all jet planes travel @ 947 km/h.

I love realism to the details, and I feel this does add up to the game play experience.
That was TTD original. All new GRF files contain realistic values and therefore do not need to be changed.
Silver-Knight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver-Knight »

I don't know about the GRF, but in the stats that are used now in Open TTD - and as far as I can remember, the GRFs make almost no changes to airplanes - the stats are wrong.

For example, in reality, the 777 can travel faster then the 747, and the 747 travels faster then any other 7X7.

I just think that an adequate program will balance the game, and also enable people to use other models - lets say you hate Boeing, but love the Antonovs or Tupolovs (Although they are a flying hazard).
worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by worldofklaus »

this all may be true, but in openttd (just as in original ttd) planes travel at only 1/4 of their real speed so that trains can still compete with them.

ttdpatch has a feature to spped them up but I wouldn't know about such a feature in ottd.
Silver-Knight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver-Knight »

First of all, as far as I can see speed can get so high as 32000 KM/H, so I see no need to decrease the speed of airplanes. IF you want realism, then airplanes are more effective then rails.

Railroads are better due to high capacity and lower costs, but I wouldn't get from the US to Europe by train, even if it was possible. It would take too much time. Besides, how can I skip duty free? :)

In Open TTD opening screen I can see a Maglev that outrun a plane.
I have never seen this in real life, sorry.

The thing you said about that feature, that's another story.
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

Have you ever seen maglev?

Erm, i voted yes, some people should like it a the others will simply not use it...
KAH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KAH »

Silver-Knight wrote:I just think that an adequate program will balance the game, and also enable people to use other models - lets say you hate Boeing, but love the Antonovs or Tupolovs (Although they are a flying hazard).
That's a wrong and ignorant comment. Just because it was made by ex-Soviet doesn't mean it's of bad quality. Some of the newer Tupolev airliners have better security records than most Boeing and AirBus birds.

You want to balance the game, but the problem is that that's the reason why the current speed has been chosen. They didn't pick 947kmph for fun, you know.
futhamucka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by futhamucka »

I think a veichle editor is a fantastic idea, if used corretly. for instance if you had a coal truck designed to carry a lot of cargo, its speed would suffer as a result, or making it faster would alter the cargo capacity
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

If you want to change anything you can easily change the source code and recompile it. I think at the moment though the developers have more important things to work on...
No longer active here, but you can still reach me via email: luca[at]stackednotion[dot]com
Silver-Knight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver-Knight »

GRR3 wrote: some people should like it a the others will simply not use it...
I agree.
KAH wrote: That's a wrong and ignorant comment. Just because it was made by ex-Soviet doesn't mean it's of bad quality. Some of the newer Tupolev airliners have better security records than most Boeing and AirBus birds.
I really don't want to get into an argument about it, but have you seen anywhere in my posts anything that even remotely sounds as an insult to the soviet union or their aircraft-building abilities?

You choose your words wisely:
KAH wrote: Some of the newer Tupolev airliners...
Whether you like it or not, there are Tupoloves that are not well maintained, and as far as I know, there are Russian airliners, and other airline companies for that matter, that are not allowed to land in numerous airports around the globe, exactly because the airplanes they own ARE a flying hazard.

You see, I didn't want to get into it, and you made me :)
I don't know about the new Tupolovs, so I will just have to take your word on it, but SOME airplanes are still a flying death trap. Sorry. No intention to insult any one.
KAH wrote: You want to balance the game, but the problem is that that's the reason why the current speed has been chosen. They didn't pick 947kmph for
fun, you know.
The game can be changed, and rebalanced.
So what, from now on every thing a game is shipped with is sacred and should not be touched? Even in C&C:G which was a very well balanced game, gamers made changes. Some of them were very liked by the community.
If you believe it is so, then there is no need for TTD Patch, Open TTD, or any other sort of thing - just play the original.

GAMES WERE MEANT TO BE ALTERED
futhamucka wrote:
I think a veichle editor is a fantastic idea, if used corretly. for instance if you had a coal truck designed to carry a lot of cargo, its speed would suffer as a result, or making it faster would alter the cargo capacity
I think this can be done, its just a matter of details. Maybe you can change the basic models the game "invents" and make a sub-model according to the rules you suggested.
lucaspiller wrote:
If you want to change anything you can easily change the source code and recompile it. I think at the moment though the developers have more important things to work on...
I have no willing to edit source code and compile it forever.
Things that people really want can push them into making it themselves.
KAH
Engineer
Engineer

Post by KAH »

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. My wording was not very good and it came out in a very hostile way. :oops:

It just annoys me when people make general comments like that based on myths (from a bygone time). However, I can agree with you when you talk about badly maintained aircraft of these makes. But since it's up to the player to maintain his aircraft in TTD, no aircraft will have to be deathtrap if we all do our virtual jobs, right? ;-)

I also think that altering games is good and that it brings in interesting and fun elements that the original designers/developers didn't think about or didn't have time or will to include. But I don't see the point in having an in-game editor in this game. It will most likely be used mainly by those who won't face up to the challenge of using low/"realistic" vehicle stats. I think it would be better to include support for GRF/new vehicles, and allow people to make alternate sets that way. I don't see any reason to clutter up the game with any editors for that purpose either, though. Having to write a few scripts and such won't kill modders, either. That's just my opinion, though.
Silver-Knight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver-Knight »

KAH wrote: I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. My wording was not very good and it came out in a very hostile way. :oops:
It just annoys me when people make general comments like that based on myths (from a bygone time).
It annoys to me too, but no need to be sorry. I too make such mistakes.
KAH wrote: However, I can agree with you when you talk about badly maintained aircraft of these makes. But since it's up to the player to maintain his aircraft in TTD, no aircraft will have to be deathtrap if we all do our virtual jobs, right? ;-)
Agreed.
KAH wrote: But I don't see the point in having an in-game editor in this game.
There is an alternative to that - it can and external stand alone application.
KAH wrote: It will most likely be used mainly by those who won't face up to the challenge of using low/"realistic" vehicle stats.
This is probably so, but why keep it from others who will use it wisely?
KAH wrote: I think it would be better to include support for GRF/new vehicles, and allow people to make alternate sets that way.
The GRF feature is a very powerful one, but as I see it, it doesn't give you complete control. It still provides you with a complete set with no ability to say "That ship is useless I don't want it".
KAH wrote: I don't see any reason to clutter up the game with any editors for that purpose either, though. Having to write a few scripts and such won't kill modders, either. That's just my opinion, though.
Someone in this thread, futhamucka, talked about changing the base vehicles in a way that, for example, if you add 100 passengers to an airplane, its running costs go up, and it slows down.

This gave me an idea - why not let the player create his own models? For example, the game "invents" a certain aircraft, A330, and you are able to change (within reason, or technically speaking, within certain rules )it to create sub models, A330-100, 747-400, and so on.

Another idea, that I'm not sure if it will be liked, is really creating vehicles like in Alpha Centaury, you have engines, hauls, and so on and you can make all kinds of vehicles out of them, but that idea may disrupt the gameplay, so I don't know how effective it will be.
Gorre
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Gorre »

Hmm I still don' t know why someone still wants hard-coded speed, horsepower, cost limits. Why not let player to simply (no stupid edit source and compiling it) edit it in his own way?
Silver-Knight
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Silver-Knight »

Yep, I agree with GORR.
BTW, is it just me or was the site down for the week?

Anyway, as things are standing now, 58% voted yes, and it so happens that I just finished my tests today, so I got allot of free time now, and lots of things to do. :)
teeone
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by teeone »

Silver-Knight wrote:Yep, I agree with GORR.
BTW, is it just me or was the site down for the week?
Yes it was. http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=10496

Return to “OpenTTD Suggestions”