What is SVN??

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

denzil
Engineer
Engineer

What is SVN??

Post by denzil »

Call me stupid but I see all these SVN remarks, posts and link but I don't I still haven't figured out what the hell is it:)... Some server 4 multiplayer??
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself doesn't become a monster.. when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"
Nietzsche
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
denzil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by denzil »

OoouK, so it's short 4 Subversion, interesting link but that bring another question: what is CVS??
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself doesn't become a monster.. when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss also gazes into you"
Nietzsche
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

also a subversions system :roll:

It's hard to explain (for me) but with open source projects, the source is uploaded to CVS or SVN or whatever every now and then (every time something new is added, or at certain dates, I'm not really sure)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
denzil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by denzil »

oooh, I'm getting the picture... thanks
Nietzsche
bociusz
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by bociusz »

svn and cvs is used for synch the source code on your computer and the respository (the server). if you add something to the main source code, everybody can see there is a new version of the code, who made it, when made it, what he made it. and you don't have to download the full code every time only the changes. very useful.
denzil
Engineer
Engineer

Post by denzil »

aha, now i HAVE the picture..actually the whole movie :P
Nietzsche
pmjordan
Engineer
Engineer

subversion down?

Post by pmjordan »

I've been trying to access the subversion repository off-and-on for the past few weeks, and it can't find the hostname (svn.openttd.com). I use SVN in my own game project, so I doubt it's a matter of using it correctly. The web site http://www.openttd.com doesn't work either. Have I missed something? Has the repository moved somewhere else? I don't particularly fancy doing development work on old release/subversion versions, as work will quite likely be duplicated.

Any suggestions?
cheers.

~phil
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by dominik81 »

"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
Doc Oc
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Doc Oc »

The OpenTTD server went down because of issues. Try svn://svn.openttd.issmiling.com/openttd/trunk/ .
dominik81
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Re: subversion down?

Post by dominik81 »

pmjordan wrote:Has the repository moved somewhere else?
Yes, it's moved here: svn://svn.openttd.issmiling.com/openttd/trunk
"There's a readme that comes with the source. I suggest you read it."
- Korenn
pmjordan
Engineer
Engineer

Post by pmjordan »

thanks!

~phil

Return to “General OpenTTD”