[How-to] Use newgrf sets

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

[How-to] Use newgrf sets

Post by Wolf01 »

a simple howto

to make the sets work you have to:
1) open the openttd.cfg file
2) go at the endo of the file and write the following:

Code: Select all

[newgrf]
firstset.grf
secondset.grf
thirdset.grf
where firstset, secondset etc.. are the names of the .grf files of the set
the files are loaded from the 0 to the 2... so if the secondset has some features that are also in the firstset, the features of the firstset would be overwritten

if you want to have more than one combination of sets you can do this:

[newgrf]
#COMBINATION 1
firstset.grf
secondset.grf

#COMBINATION 2
#another_firstset.grf
#another_secondset.grf
now you ca switch beetwen the combinations by removing the "#" from before one combination number and add it to the other combination, don't try to activate both combinations because can happen some errors
[/code]

3) Here is the default combination:

[newgrf]
#DEFAULT
tempsetw.grf
arcticsetw.grf
newshipsw.grf
#cargosetw.grf
3) put your grf files into the data/ folder.

if you have some problems post them here: http://www.tt-forums.net/viewtopic.php?t=9376
Last edited by Wolf01 on 19 Dec 2004 14:51, edited 5 times in total.
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

This thread should be changed to "sticky" status
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Colonel32 wrote:This thread should be changed to "sticky" status
now is better?
Colonel32
President
President

Post by Colonel32 »

think so, lets wait for the moderators.

BTW, there is a serious error in the "default" combinations.

you have newships instead of newshipsw there. I tried both versions, but DOS verison is uncompatible and causes the game to crash
follow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by follow »

Or be moved to Wiki I think...
http://openttd.rulez.org/wiki2
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Colonel32 wrote:think so, lets wait for the moderators.

BTW, there is a serious error in the "default" combinations.

you have newships instead of newshipsw there. I tried both versions, but DOS verison is uncompatible and causes the game to crash
yes sorry, is newshipsw.grf, i think that my keyboard is broken, i have some problems with W, R, F, V and T keys
worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

Re: [How-to] Use newgrf sets -sticky-

Post by worldofklaus »

Wolf01 wrote:for the moment the only combination that works well is "Temperateset + Arcticset"
There are some minor bugs in the Arcticset:

the graphics for new vehicles in the depot window are sometimes taken from the tempset, for example the middle powered wagon of the dm3 looks like ICE3 from tepset, the SD40 (Diesel) looks like the Thalys.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: [How-to] Use newgrf sets -sticky-

Post by Wolf01 »

worldofklaus wrote:
Wolf01 wrote:for the moment the only combination that works well is "Temperateset + Arcticset"
There are some minor bugs in the Arcticset:

the graphics for new vehicles in the depot window are sometimes taken from the tempset, for example the middle powered wagon of the dm3 looks like ICE3 from tepset, the SD40 (Diesel) looks like the Thalys.
i tested it some days ago, it was late and i didn't noticed that, also because i tested a lot of combos that day, thanks a lot for this report
mdhowe
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by mdhowe »

follow wrote:
Or be moved to Wiki I think...
http://openttd.rulez.org/wiki2
I've added this howto to the wiki:
http://openttd.rulez.org/wiki2/index.php/Newgrf

@Wolf: you should add your testng results there as well, it would be much more organised that way. :D
"Set fashion, not follow. Spit vitriol, not swallow" - Marilyn Manson
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

thanks mdhowe :)
worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by worldofklaus »

Found a few other bugs. Don't know if they're all related to the use of arcticset, but at least one of them: when you buy the SD40 locomotive, all the wagons are in the TGV-Style (wagon override), but the engine actually looks o.k. once it is outside the depot.

And here's another weird graphic bug. Have a look at the screenie: how come the station has such a weird roof?
Attachments
Nundwood Transport, 16. Nov 2002.png
Nundwood Transport, 16. Nov 2002.png (50.38 KiB) Viewed 51757 times
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

worldofklaus wrote:Found a few other bugs. Don't know if they're all related to the use of arcticset, but at least one of them: when you buy the SD40 locomotive, all the wagons are in the TGV-Style (wagon override), but the engine actually looks o.k. once it is outside the depot.

And here's another weird graphic bug. Have a look at the screenie: how come the station has such a weird roof?
the station is ok, try to drag'n'drop another station on it, you can do some combinations with diffeent layouts...

but, another glitch is in the slope, and for thalis wagons i haven't noticed that, the answer is already written 2 posts ago... i think that the test of the sets can be done well and more quickly by working in couple (or more)
Attachments
Wolf Megatransport, 5 Set 2090.png
Wolf Megatransport, 5 Set 2090.png (230.39 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

Post by worldofklaus »

that station actually looks really good I must say, amazing what you can do with drag&drop. I just was a bit scared because I haven't ever seen something like this before... :oops:

Well I didn't finish my last post actually, there are a few other bugs concerning vehicles:
- the sliding roof van always loooks like it's presently being loaded, even when it's on a free track.
- the maize wagon in the tropic/desert climate always appears to contain a certain amount of maize, even when it's empty.

I'm not really a programmer, but to me it seems to be caused by choosing the wrong graphic IDs sometimes. Can this be fixed somehow?
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Well I stickyfied it for you. Not sure if the other mods will agree, but heck, they can unstickyfy it :P
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

worldofklaus wrote:that station actually looks really good I must say, amazing what you can do with drag&drop. I just was a bit scared because I haven't ever seen something like this before... :oops:

Well I didn't finish my last post actually, there are a few other bugs concerning vehicles:
- the sliding roof van always loooks like it's presently being loaded, even when it's on a free track.
- the maize wagon in the tropic/desert climate always appears to contain a certain amount of maize, even when it's empty.

I'm not really a programmer, but to me it seems to be caused by choosing the wrong graphic IDs sometimes. Can this be fixed somehow?
the wrong graphics for the wagons are a little glitch caused by the gradual loading, that it isn't supported yet by OTTD but is a constant in the Patch... i noticed this glitch also in DBSet where the wagons have more animations that aren't displayed in OTTD...

the best thing to do now is to ask who is working to the newgrf support, then ask him of what him needs to know, what are the problems and errors, so we can concentrate our efforts in the same set, like tempsetw.grf to find also the most little glitch
stewis
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by stewis »

I dont think any one is working on newgrf support since pasky left but i have more than once stuck my head into th code and went AHHHHH!
danomite
Engineer
Engineer

Post by danomite »

Does LongBusses (and others like it ) work with OpenTTD... cause i try it and either they dont work (dont show up in game) or game crashes at boot.
If anyone does have it working could you post your [newgrf] section of your config here to figure out what i did wrong... thx
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

danomite wrote:Does LongBusses (and others like it ) work with OpenTTD... cause i try it and either they dont work (dont show up in game) or game crashes at boot.
If anyone does have it working could you post your [newgrf] section of your config here to figure out what i did wrong... thx
no, any road set doesn't work, only railroad sets for now
Szappy
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Szappy »

Could you tell me what kind of sets (actions) are expected to work?
For example, a grf that has simple action10's to replace tile sprites, and some action7/9's? Like a roadset?
I know that the advanced fetures of DBSetXL do not work, but what about the single exe graphics converted to grf?
Image please use email instead of PM
Wolf01
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Wolf01 »

Szappy wrote:Could you tell me what kind of sets (actions) are expected to work?
For example, a grf that has simple action10's to replace tile sprites, and some action7/9's? Like a roadset?
I know that the advanced fetures of DBSetXL do not work, but what about the single exe graphics converted to grf?
DBset doesnt work well because the only newgrf support is for trains (for now), you can patch the .grf files but don't patch them massively, at most you can convert roads, airport graphics and building graphics, also landscape graphics are suppported...
you can't add new vehicles (there are the sets for this) and you can't add features like gradual loading graphics

Return to “Graphics Development”