programmer++

Archived discussions related to Transport Empire. Read-only access only.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

oboka
Engineer
Engineer

programmer++

Post by oboka »

Hi all!

I'm from Barcelona, in Europe, I've been following this forum for a while and I would help in programming of TE. I'm a big fan of TTD, and it is a kind of game I always wanted to make. It combines realistic phisics with complex AI algorithms.

I'm mechanical engineer with 8 years of experience of programming in the industry. I always wanted to program a game, but here in Barcelona it's not easy. My interest are graphics programming, phisics, and AI, I also could help in desing.

So if you think I could help please let me know.

Thanks!

Oboka
Paranoid Android
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: lo:kay:shun - The site and/or situation of a settlement

Post by Paranoid Android »

You probably can help us. Pop along to one of our IRC meetings, every Saturday. That's probably the best thing to do.

And I'm coming to (near) Barcelona next week. Wow!
r is a c***

will frequently check credit at (moral) bank (hole in wall)
RIP THE BETA BAND 1997-2004
Transport Empire's music-er.

So now I've closed my eyes, closing seconds of our time

My music
spaceman-spiff
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by spaceman-spiff »

Will someone please answer this man or he will start a new topic tomorrow :P
Well, back to work, lot's of it in the near future
oboka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oboka »

I read somewhere something about asking for joining with a new topic...

but if you want a "programmer+=2" topic for tomorrow only have to tell... ;-)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

There was only one previous endavour, don't blow things up :roll: . As oboka wrote he watched this forum for quite a while and yet he decided to offer help. Despite the fact that we're 'doing nothing' for so long.
I'm not so sure if hacking Zugspiel is a good idea to get started. As far as I'm aware we didn't decide to use Zugspiel as a basis, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Charlieg, what can we code already?
oboka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oboka »

Ok charlieg, thats a good point to start.

IMO, the project is now at a very early stage of definition so start to code the game itself would be a waste of time.

At this moment, somebody (the listed programmers) should be testing diferent technologies that will be used in the game. There's no reason to don't be working now on the user interface, the 3D engine or the sound engine.

Who is the leader of the coding part of this project? He/she should create independent tasks to do before the project starts itself. And individual coders should begin to work in the tasks they prefer.
PJayTycy
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by PJayTycy »

Yep

And after the different technologies to be used are decided, some should decide how the core of the game will tie all different modules together and which messages will be passed between the different modules. Once that is set, people can start programming the modules (and the core) independently.

I have no idea how this could be done best (I have no experience in game programming), but it somehow has to be a framework to tie the physics, economy, graphics, sound, user interface, networking, ai, ... together. Without that nobody can start programming.

The problem is these things are hard to come up with on IRC or something. I think it would be best if some people bring up their idea, so we can discuss them, find the good/bad parts in each of them. Once this discussion starts, the project will be moving fast forward.
oboka
Engineer
Engineer

Post by oboka »

Well, we better stop discussing and start working.
Please correct me if I'm wrong, what do you think about this general fases for the project (subtasks can be developed in paralell):

1.- Research
1.1.- 3D engine
1.2.- Sound engine
1.3.- Phisics
1.4.- File formats
1.5.- User interface
1.5.- ????? (please add things missing)

2.- Development
2.1.- 3D engine and integration
2.2.- ....

3.- Integration
3.1.- ???

4.- Alpha release
4.1.- testing
4.2.- testing
4.3.- testing
4.4.- testing
4.5.- testing

5.- Beta release
5.1.- testing
5.2.- testing
5.3.- testing
5.4.- testing
5.5.- testing

6.- Production release
6.1.- testing
6.2.- testing
6.3.- testing

Once we have decided the subtasks of the first part of the project, I think we could start a topic for each and anyone interested discuss there and start testing applications and technologies. Second part is too far away to start thinking (I think)
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

sounds good.
Number one on my list of things we need to do with this project is organization (with a z!) so, ...yay :P
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
charlieg
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by charlieg »

oboka wrote:Who is the leader of the coding part of this project? He/she should create independent tasks to do before the project starts itself. And individual coders should begin to work in the tasks they prefer.
I believe (although could be wrong) that ChrisCF is the overall leader of the project, although I do not know who is directly in charge of coding - possibly Hyronymous. I think one of the purposes of the regular irc meetings is to establish some structure and especially some leadership. The irc meetings are the best places to start helping with TE. The meetings usually have their own indivudual forum topics so should be easy to spot / join in.
Open source tycoon games
--
Free Gamer - open source and Free Software games
FreeGameDev forums - open source game development community
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I only push people to arrange meetings, because noone else does :lol: . I think it's fair to say that noone is really in charge.
ChrisCF
Transport Empire Developer
Transport Empire Developer

Post by ChrisCF »

For now, my status in the project is as "interim project manager", and part of that role clearly must be to act as a figurehead, however I don't like to have to assert my leadership. Without the hard work that some people put into this project, it is nothing, and my role meaningless. Hence my asking of people that send me PMs to introduce themselves in this forum.

Return to “Transport Empire Development Archive”