track building interface

Development discussion about Transport Empire. Other discussion to General forum please.

Moderator: Transport Empire Moderators

Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

track building interface

Post by Korenn »

has anyone thought about this yet? I did a search but there was nothing relevant.

the standard ttd building system is what we're used to, but it has its limits. (every special bit of rail/road will need its own button)

the simutrans building system has less buttons but slows down complex track building (first you build track by selecting start and end points, then depots and stations etc are built on top of track, so you don't need to select a heading)

Personally I'm charmed by the rct building style(You build one starting piece of track, and from that you have options based on what track is available and what the landscape allows). The pro is that it allows for easy selection of large amounts of different special track parts and thus easy building of complex singlerail tracks. the con is that it makes complex multirail track building more complicated (there are more ends to fit together)

perhaps a hybrid system? where the basis is like the ttd system (which everyone knows) and optional rct style building is also possible?

or did anyone already think through a brilliant new idea?

Locked until the DD discussion arrives at this issue.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

What you describe is actualy what I planed for my junctioneer.

If all tracks, roads etc are stored in categories, it will not be to hard to at load time create a ttd style interface on the fly.

Maby I later upload some of my scetshes.
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Junctioneer (a traffic intersection simulator)
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

This is very premature I think. Please write your suggestion down for yourself and lauch it again when the time is better suited. We haven't finished design docs yet.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Hyronymus wrote:This is very premature I think. Please write your suggestion down for yourself and lauch it again when the time is better suited. We haven't finished design docs yet.
I'm not pushing decisions or anything like that, just pondering 8)
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Here is my paper.

note: arrows in the terain shuld only be visible in build mode.
Attachments
jam_build_sketch_half_size.jpg
jam_build_sketch_half_size.jpg (47.47 KiB) Viewed 25228 times
My OpenTTD contributions (AIs, Game Scripts, patches, OpenTTD Auto Updater, and some sprites)
Mek
TTDPatch Developer
TTDPatch Developer

Post by Mek »

zuu wrote:Here is my paper.

note: arrows in the terain shuld only be visible in build mode.
it looks good; but i would say that we need a seperate build and design mode; first you design the track, and land is bought to prevent others from terraforming it, and once your finished designing, building begins.
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

One thing that is not shown on my scetch, but is planed for my UI is this:

1. You press att (2,2) in terain
2. You select the straight road group.
3. You select a straight road module.
4. You can now move your mouse in terain and click on the end point of your road. Say (2,1).
5. The Toolbox class build a strightroad from (2,2) to (2,1).

When you are in step 4, you will see a half transparent road, so you know what will be build before you click.

The same can be done also with non-straight road modules, but it will be more tricky to implement.
Paranoid Android
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: lo:kay:shun - The site and/or situation of a settlement

Post by Paranoid Android »

Personally I like the RCT-style system, but if we modify it so we can build, say, pieces of straight track 2 and 5 tiles long so it doesn't take ages to build long bits of straight track. Of course, you can alse have buttons for S-bends and stuff (those are incredibly useful for getting round small obstructions), and small, medium and large-radius corners. I've even drawn a simple schematic.
Attachments
trackgui.JPG
trackgui.JPG (9.78 KiB) Viewed 25598 times
r is a c***

will frequently check credit at (moral) bank (hole in wall)
RIP THE BETA BAND 1997-2004
Transport Empire's music-er.

So now I've closed my eyes, closing seconds of our time

My music
eXinion
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eXinion »

Love the picture :p especially the bomb!

but on-topic:

I think that's a great idea... I certainly like that way of building things...
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

Perhaps we can have a textbox where the user can input how many track pices he want to build on each click.

A good thing is if we preview (in terain) in white like in RCT(2) or in half alpha, what is going to be built. Offcorce this preview shuld be updated whatever option the user sellects.
Paranoid Android
Tycoon
Tycoon
Location: lo:kay:shun - The site and/or situation of a settlement

Post by Paranoid Android »

zuu wrote:Perhaps we can have a textbox where the user can input how many track pices he want to build on each click.

A good thing is if we preview (in terain) in white like in RCT(2) or in half alpha, what is going to be built. Offcorce this preview shuld be updated whatever option the user sellects.
So it shows a ghost of the track section before it's actually built? Good thinking.
r is a c***

will frequently check credit at (moral) bank (hole in wall)
RIP THE BETA BAND 1997-2004
Transport Empire's music-er.

So now I've closed my eyes, closing seconds of our time

My music
Zuu
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by Zuu »

If we are going to use a RCT style build tool here are some thoghts. I asume that tracks and roads are conected as in TTD. I will mostly talk about roads here.

Folowing example is a vision on how it can work:

1 Say that you have a road:

Code: Select all

======

and whant to create a 3-way junction at the # sign.

===#==

2 You might left click on the square that you want to create the junction on.
Click on the directon arrow(see attachment) that matches the direction of the new road. Select straight road, and press build.

You will have something like this:

|  
===#==

In Loco you have to build a turn on the # marked road element. And when you left click you need to left click on a = marked square next to the # marked square. When leftclicking you also need to leftclick at right place so that it will build in right direction. This I think is a bit confusing.

It(RCT buld system) did work in RCT where tarcks had a direction, but in Loco tracks/roads don't have a direction. I gues that at least roads will not have directions in TEmpire.

(I hope this made some sense.)
Attachments
dir.png
dir.png (2.97 KiB) Viewed 25350 times
Kyaputen Harokku
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Kyaputen Harokku »

What I would also like would be a "build as long as there is money" option, that means, you lay your complete tracks, even if you don't have enough money, and when enough money comes in, a piece big enough to be able to afford is built. So, every purchase is put into a queue which is executed as there is enough money.
Thanks to the cheaters, Multiplayer in ottd sucks.
Hyronymus
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Hyronymus »

I this topic is much needed, yesterday there was discussion about the GUI approach for track laying in TE and how track laying is done "technically".
Parkey
Director
Director

Post by Parkey »

The sections of track used for a locomotion-style system can be defined by their start and finish points, usually on the edge of a tile.

When you're creating track why not have, in addition to the traditional interface, a handle that you can drag to where you want the track section to go? If you wanted to be even more advanced you could have it lay multiple sections in one sweep.

Return to “Transport Empire Development”