Openttd Challenge Spinoff (beta 2)

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Openttd Challenge Spinoff (beta 2)

Post by Korenn »

OpenTTD challenge spinoff! (Beta)

Installation notes:
This is based on revision 134, so first install that and make sure it works, then copy these files into this directory.

This is the second beta version, there's lots still wrong, so don't complain about things being wrong, tell me WHAT's wrong.

Welcome to my OpenTTD spinoff! Why do you call it a spinoff I hear you say? This is a spinoff because it changes the goal of the game!
Instead of fussing over the most efficient way to earn your money you have to help the towns of a small country grow into the industrial age.
They will need food, water, goods and luxuries to prosper, and only you can supply them!
Once your Total Population reaches 50000 you win the game (who will be the fastest?).

Small list of changes:

- only temperate available
- bigger maps
- more cargo types
- more industries
- more house types
- new map generation
- smarter industry placement
- redone minimap sizes, coloring and legendas
- introduced town sizes
- altered town growth
- game goal harder on higher difficulty levels
- planespeed
- multiplayer support (untested)
- new towns start during game

... and much more (but less interesting)

Have fun! And post your findings here

What to do when you find a bug / error / horribly stupid feature:

- in case of an error, write down the message
- write down what the last thing you did was (unless you are sure it has nothing to do with the error)
- if this was an "assertion failure" error, then try pressing "ignore" once, normally you can continue (but if another one pops up, don't try again!)
- post your findings on the forum

Please post any more ideas you have that would fit into the challenge spinoff!
Oh and no flaming please, if you don't like it please give constructive advice, or just ignore me ;)

known bugs:
- trucks for new cargo are incorrect
- river can go completely wacko

Korenn
Attachments
ottd challenge spinoff beta 2 win32 binary.rar
win32 binary + language file.
(336.87 KiB) Downloaded 754 times
spinoff patch Revision 134.rar
patch for Revision 134
(135.42 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Last edited by Korenn on 24 Aug 2004 22:01, edited 5 times in total.
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

why basing it on 0.3.0 ? not more latest version ?

anyway for people, link to 0.3.0 version:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=231188

well I am going to take a look at this .. more cargo and industries sound interesting
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

SHADOW-XIII wrote:why basing it on 0.3.0 ? not more latest version ?

anyway for people, link to 0.3.0 version:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... _id=231188

well I am going to take a look at this .. more cargo and industries sound interesting
because I was already working on this for weeks when 0.3.2 was released ;) But applying all changes to the latest SVN version is not that difficult... once the bugs are fixed.
Villem
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Villem »

Power Plant Doesnt make electricity(how are we gona transport it enyways)
And there are no water suppliers along the map enywhere and no water wagons :shock:
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

Akalamanaia wrote:Power Plant Doesnt make electricity(how are we gona transport it enyways)
And there are no water suppliers along the map enywhere and no water wagons :shock:
The power plant supplies its towns by use of wires, no need to transport electricity, only fuel (oil, water, coal) ;) The amount of power that the plant provides is visible at the town screen.

There are water wagons and trucks, and there are most definitely water sources on the map. try :shock: -> 8)
lws1984
President
President

Post by lws1984 »

Are you making this for Macintosh?
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Wow, this looks good already - and I haven't even downloaded it yet. :D One thing though, OpenTTD is released under the GNU license which states that anything derived from it has to which means you have to release the source code.

------

Ok I have been playing for about 4 years now (game time :P ) and it seems brilliant! All the new industries, the new game mode, no AI. WOW! One thing though, how do you get power to a town? Or is it not implemented yet. Also the saving of the game seems to take quite a long time.

EDIT: Started this post ages ago thats why some things have been answered.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

the most annoying thing is that open ttd 0.3.0 won't install once you have openttd 0.3.2, it just gives an incompatibility thing
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

All you have to do is copy all the folders from the latest version then copy the contents of the data folder to the main folder.
pasky
OpenTTD Developer
OpenTTD Developer

Post by pasky »

Could I please see the source? I would love to try this on Linux and also look at how you altered the map generation and especially the town growth algorithm. Thanks in advance :-).
The flush toilet is the basis of Western civilization. -- Alan Coult
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

lucaspiller wrote:All you have to do is copy all the folders from the latest version then copy the contents of the data folder to the main folder.
Well, actually all you have to do is copy all the files in the openttd-challenge file to your data directory ;)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

pasky wrote:Could I please see the source? I would love to try this on Linux and also look at how you altered the map generation and especially the town growth algorithm. Thanks in advance :-).
I'll release the source once it's been bugfixed... I put 'beta' on there on purpose :mrgreen:

Darkvater - true, but you might want to copy the music files too.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

Korenn wrote:
pasky wrote:Could I please see the source? I would love to try this on Linux and also look at how you altered the map generation and especially the town growth algorithm. Thanks in advance :-).
I'll release the source once it's been bugfixed... I put 'beta' on there on purpose :mrgreen:

Darkvater - true, but you might want to copy the music files too.
That is true :)
I do not want to interfere with the great development of the Korenn Challenge :D but you could better sync your release with at least a pretty recent SVN build, or try to figure out which one of the bugreports are because of your modifications, and which ones are 0.3.0's fault :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Lilman424
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Lilman424 »

hmm, this is pretty cool. Good Job, korenn. Although, uh, more subsidies would be good ;) and the mountains are a bit...excessive.

bug: Town sorting doesn't work.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction. - Albert Einstein
edk256
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by edk256 »

How do you transport chemicals, the products of oil refineries?
lucaspiller
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by lucaspiller »

Is the map randomly generaterated or pre-made? If its random, wow, I got a really good river going through the middle of mine.
rct101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rct101 »

what do i do with this .rar file ?(
monophonic
Engineer
Engineer

Post by monophonic »

rct, you have to unpack it. Browse to http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm to get the unpacking program.
rct101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rct101 »

:arrow: ok :P
rct101
Engineer
Engineer

Post by rct101 »

its freezing when i hit new game
and, is the background suppose to be all water :x

EDIT: it now loaded, is the land suppose to be ALL water :x