Possibility for a system for diagonal roads

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

mike[F]
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mike[F] »

zuu wrote:Excusme, mods for this litle advestment. I'm makeing a such game. But don't exept anyting for serval years.

EDIT: my game will simulate road traffic. And one cell = one line. Link to project in my avtar.
Awesome! That looks jolly interesting, I look forward to seeing some progress :)
-mike[F]
Caught in the rush of the crowd, lost in a wall of sound...
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

mike[F] wrote:Awesome! That looks jolly interesting, I look forward to seeing some progress :)
Don't hold your breath or you will be long dead before any of this is done. :oops:
It's not even sure that it is going to be made, because it needs someone with programming skill and time to make it. So far nobody fulfills that and think this is the most important thing to add
mispunt
Traffic Manager
Traffic Manager

Post by mispunt »

I like it, because I always have wanted to have short tracks so somtimes it should be horizontaly. but when I tried I always get rounded roads. and I think it is possible to, because Simutrans is using such roads to (I thought)
tmesisbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tmesisbob »

Hi peeps,

I have actually got a 8 direction road system working sometime ago when I was developing Yet another ttd clone. My system allowed a mighty 256 different road configurations, and I belive it look ok.

Screen shoot attached (please excuse the doodgy graphics).
Attachments
roads.png
roads.png (33.43 KiB) Viewed 6176 times
Last edited by tmesisbob on 13 Apr 2004 15:45, edited 2 times in total.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Very nice design actually. As you say, the graphics could be better, but the idea is good.
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

tmesisbob wrote:Hi peeps,

I have actually got a 8 direction road system working sometime ago when I was developing Yet another ttd clone. My system allowed a mighty 256 different road configurations, and I belive it look ok.

try to rewrite/merge your code into the svn code an if it works, upload a patch. I think it will be included as an option if you do

of cause it have to work properly and draw the RVs proberly on it :wink:
tmesisbob
Engineer
Engineer

Post by tmesisbob »

Bjarni wrote:

try to rewrite/merge your code into the svn code an if it works, upload a patch. I think it will be included as an option if you do

of cause it have to work properly and draw the RVs proberly on it :wink:
I'll give it a whirl, it may take some time though :cry:.
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

Graphics actually look good... very smooth :)
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

krtaylor wrote:There's plenty of room alongside the road for a bus station. I bet there's even enough room for the bus to pull over, if you took a chunk out of the sidewalk for it. That way through traffic could pass a bus stopped at the bus stop. You'd only want to do that for smaller bus stops, for larger ones you'd want the multi-stall version.

By the way, I agree with the need to have larger bus stations. I think the best way to handle it would be to allow you to have more than one normal one-square bus stop in a particular station, but to require that they be not merely adjacent to each other, but actually paralell. That way, inbound traffic won't have to worry about race conditions to get a parking spot, they just go into the next available one and not worry about it. And the multiple stations would operate separately as to traffic, so you could have more than one bus entering/exiting the combined complex at a time.

big bus stops would have the pull over layby and shelters, while small ones, the bus would stop on the road at a shelter
eobet
Engineer
Engineer

Post by eobet »

tmesisbob wrote:I'll give it a whirl, it may take some time though :cry:.
If you want me to work on more tiles (same style I did for the first page, which blends with original TTD graphics), let me know.

It's good that it will take time, because I'm quite busy as well.

The system you used is the first one I suggested, and I feared that some tiles would look odd... (like the little pie piece required next to the big segments). How did this work out for you? Can you still hold down the mouse button and drag out a stretch of road?
tmesisbob
Engineer
Engineer

8 way roads

Post by tmesisbob »

Hi,

I have finally finished uni, and have implemented the construction of 8 way roads. You can not remove them yet, and the vehicles dont use them yet, and there are probably other issues as well.

See attached piccy!
Attachments
8 Way roads in action.
8 Way roads in action.
Plunton Transport, 18th Feb 1950.png (127.9 KiB) Viewed 1358 times
SHADOW-XIII
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by SHADOW-XIII »

it looks very good
what are you looking at? it's a signature!
Gurluas2000
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by Gurluas2000 »

thoose roads seems to be from tto... notice the ligther better grass!
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

those roads are straight from tmesisbobs ttd clone, the grass is from there.

The grass in ttd and ottd as it is now is better than the ttd gras anyway, why do you want the old grass so much?
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Re: 8 way roads

Post by Darkvater »

tmesisbob wrote:Hi,

I have finally finished uni, and have implemented the construction of 8 way roads. You can not remove them yet, and the vehicles dont use them yet, and there are probably other issues as well.

See attached piccy!
I must say that looks just awesome! When I went to read this thread I supposed some impatient fan kicked this topic to ask about its status. I never would've imagined that you were the one :D

Looking forward to seeing it in action!. If you have any technical questions, etc. come to IRC on irc.freenode.net #openttd

The color problems, and grass stuff is not that important. There are a lot of talented graphics artists out there, and the grass can be made transparent, so that the underground will show through, just as with train junctions.
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Spaz O Mataz
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Spaz O Mataz »

I just have a small question about this. does the normal graphics have a view for all the viechles so that they are visable for that angle?

apart from that I think it's a great Idea
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

yes, thye do, remember when they go around corners?

all vehicles have the 8 views
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

May be it would be better, if diagonal tiles will connect the center part of the tile border, not the corners of the tile? The 1/4 used squres are unusable for the other objects, right? Then 1/2 tiles would save the space.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

would it matter? even with half the space, two tiles every other road tile would be wasted anyway.
George
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by George »

Born Acorn wrote:would it matter? even with half the space, two tiles every other road tile would be wasted anyway.
You wil waste less squares

Code: Select all

1/4
[][]
[][][]
  [][][]
    [][][]
       [][]
1/2
[]
[][]
  [][]