Help with Grfcodec please?

Get help, info, news and advice about the Transport Tycoon Deluxe patch.

Moderator: TTDPatch Moderators

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Help with Grfcodec please?

Post by Raichase »

Hi, i finally got Grfcodec to work, and i have created new passenger carriges based on the Manley Moral DMU/Metro Cammel DMU (except without the yellow bits on each end).

I have replaced the old temperate carriges in the trg1.pcx, and tried to re-encode it but it gives me errors about it being too big and then 2=2+0+0...

Below is the pcx file that i have placed my new carrages into for your download - i didn't want to have to post the whole trg1.pcx file here so i cut out my new carriges

Now the question is: Can some kind soul help me figure out how to get the new graphics into the trg1.pcx file and re-encode it so the new graphics replace the temperate carrages in TTDLX (or indeed do it themselves sucessfully).

Many thanks in advance...
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
Raichase - Perfect timing, all the time: [13:37] * Now talking in #tycoon
ImageImage
Official TT-Dave Worley Fan Club
Official TT-Andel-in-a-pink-hat Fan Club
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

What is the exact error message?

Also, what program did you use to edit the PCX file? Can you see if maybe it saved it as a true-colour PCX instead of a 256-colour PCX?
Josef Drexler

TTDPatch main | alpha/beta | nightly | manual | FAQ | tracker
No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle
Location: Sydney, Australia. Usually at work in the underground railway station...

Post by Raichase »

Okay, i tried making it true colour - 24bit and it encoded okay, so i opened up TTDLX and the graphics had gone all screwy - There was nothing legible - all the words had gone and the pictures of everything... I dunno what went wrong, cause all i did was replace the passenger carrages...
Posted by Raichase. Visit my Flickr! Gallery, Blog (get a feed of everyone at once at Planet TT-Forums).
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Okay, i tried again with 24bit true colour, and it gave me the same error when i tried to encode the file:

"encoding in temporary file E:TTDLX\Trg.NEW
Sprite 0 Done 0% Compressed 100% (Transparency:100% Redundancy:100%)
ofsx too large: is 2=2+0+0, sx=1"

Any ideas?

If anyone can fix this, well, its you (The Creator :bow: )
ImageImage
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

Ah, sorry if my previous post implied that you should save it in truecolour mode, because you shouldn't! GRFCodec expects the PCX file in the same format it saves it as, that is, 256 colour with the same colour palette.

The error you show isn't very clear (not to me either), but it suggests that GRFCodec is confused by the format of the PCX file and doesn't know how to handle it properly. This is very likely to happen with 24-bit PCX files. If it still happens with 256-colour PCX files something is wrong, either with GRFCodec or your graphics program.

In that case, maybe you could zip up and email me the offending pcx file together with the .nfo file so that I can maybe fix GRFCodec. (Although I won't have time to do this before I get back from my vacation.)
Josef Drexler

No private messages please, you'll only get the answering machine there. Send email instead.
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Ok, i'll try it again with 256 colour, and if that doesn't work, i'll post the .zip file here...

Have a nice vacation :) Must be good to get away... Igtg to work soon, we always are so busy at Christmas time :P
ImageImage
Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

Okay, i have re-done it in 256 colours and it encodes it okay, but then the graphics off TTD go absolutley haywire! I took a screen shot and have included it in the zip file, and thats of a temperate new game - you can't see anything! All i wanted was new passenger cars - with more that 4 windows...

Good luck :)

I hope it's not a problem with your program, it might be that i am using a bad .pcx editor - Kodak Image Magic - Came with my comp. If thats the problem, can u suggest a better editor i can use?

Thanks again.

(this post is in the .zip file for easy ref :))

Okay, the file is too big for the forum - over 2mb, so i'm gunna have to e-mail it to you. Sorry if it clogs up your e-mail, cause attachments sometimes do that to me...
ImageImage
Patchman
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Patchman »

The attachment didn't make it, only the first 40KB arrived, making it impossible to unzip...

But anyway, what you're describing sounds like a problem with your graphics program, which does not reproduce the correct palette. It's probably more suited to photo editing than 256-colour files.

As for a better program, I don't really know, I don't do much graphics editing. Myself, I just use Deluxe Paint 2e, which I bought about 15 years ago for a heck of a lot of money...

So I don't know which programs would be good for making sure they save files with the correct palette, maybe Paintshop Pro does that.
Josef Drexler

Raichase
Moderizzle
Moderizzle

Post by Raichase »

I'll see what i can find, thanks :)

BTW, sorry but the file has resent itself... Delete it if you get it :P

Enjoy your holiday :)
ImageImage

Return to “General TTDPatch”