electrified tracks

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

worldofklaus
Engineer
Engineer

electrified tracks

Post by worldofklaus »

Hi there
is it possible to get the graphics for electrified tracks (and the unifiedmaglev switch as in TTDPatch) for OpenTTD? Will they be included in future releases?
I just switched from Windows to Mac, therefore I cannot use the patch or any *.exe files.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

It's not written yet, but it will be someday, but please don't ask me then. I can only say that it will be there when it's done
You will not see unified maglev, you will see 4 types of tracks instead :wink:
Bart
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bart »

Bjarni wrote:It's not written yet, but it will be someday, but please don't ask me then. I can only say that it will be there when it's done
You will not see unified maglev, you will see 4 types of tracks instead :wink:
That makes sense :P
[url=CALLTO://Sgreehder]Image[/url]
Rob
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Rob »

Only 4 :?:
What about narrow gauge :?:
Wie zich gelukkig voelt met het geluk van anderen, bezit een rijkdom zonder grenzen. (F.Daels)
Still the best OS around
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

Rob wrote:Only 4 :?:
What about narrow gauge :?:
because the rail type are stored in 2 bits (4 different values)
if we have more than 4 types, we need to change that all the places OTTD checks railtype and that is A LOT of work
Using the yet unused value for electrified does not need any changes there
Well, it needs the change that diesel can drive there, but that is needed to be coded anyway
fabca2
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by fabca2 »

Bjarni wrote:Using the yet unused value for electrified does not need any changes there
Well, it needs the change that diesel can drive there, but that is needed to be coded anyway
Ok, I hope it will be optional (a patch),
For thoses who don't used to play with TTDPatch.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

fabca2 wrote:
Bjarni wrote:Using the yet unused value for electrified does not need any changes there
Ok, I hope it will be optional (a patch),
For thoses who don't used to play with TTDPatch.
it will not be hard to make it optional and I agree it should
You might want to use it even though you haven't used TTDPatch :wink:
soundman
Engineer
Engineer

Post by soundman »

Bjarni wrote: Using the yet unused value for electrified does not need any changes there
Why not driving a diesel over electrified railway?
Thats a very common situation, at least in Europe.
Even steamers are possible. Using electric locs on non-electrified railways doesn't make sense...
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

soundman wrote:
Bjarni wrote: Using the yet unused value for electrified does not need any changes there
Even steamers are possible. Using electric locs on non-electrified railways doesn't make sense...
That is what I said. Steam/diesel are type unelectrified and they need to be able to drive on unelectrified AND electrified rails
If there aren't any code changes, but only electrified added, steam/diesel can't go on electrified rails because it's a different type
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

Bjarni wrote:You will not see unified maglev, you will see 4 types of tracks instead :wink:
Will it be possible to add more types easily (with grf files or something)?
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
School
Engineer
Engineer

Post by School »

soundman wrote:
It doesn't make sence to have STEAM trains on elect. rails. The steam may damage the wires :twisted:
Diesel ones is also common in the rest of the world.
Purno
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Purno »

School wrote:It doesn't make sence to have STEAM trains on elect. rails. The steam may damage the wires :twisted:
It shouldn't be impossible since some 'museum'-steamers can drive on electrified rails in reality. But if it damages the wires (I don't know why): It could raise maintainance costs.
Contributor to the The 2cc Set and Dutch Trainset. Inventor of the Metro concept. Retired Graphics Artist.
Image Image
Download TT | Latest TTDPatch | OpenTTD | OpenTTDCoop | BaNaNaS: OpenTTD content system | 2048² OTTD scenario of the Netherlands
GRF Codec | GRF Crawler | GRF Maker | Usefull graphics & tools sites | NML Documentation Wiki | NFO Documentation Wiki
All my graphics are licensed under GPL. "Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else."
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

The steam engines damaging wires argument has been shown to be, at least in this country, completely fake, and to be due to the railway companies not wanting railtours to get in the way of their nice fast expresses (maximum allowed for steam -75mph, express speed 125mph)
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

School wrote: trains on elect. rails. The steam may damage the wires :twisted:
Diesel ones is also common in the rest of the world.
That is NOT a problem
You might end up with some dirty wires, but they are cleaned the next it rains. Besides electric trains removes any dirt it may touch, so it have no problems in getting a good electric connection
Mr._ShaDow
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Mr._ShaDow »

bjarni:

What do you mean?
Besides electric trains removes any dirt it may touch.
What i have learned in my years studing elektronics... (3rd year at school now) Sparks make the wires more dirty and more resistant, so it leads less currant.* (Spelling) so thats not true if i am not Completly mistaken.
mnorman
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by mnorman »

You are partially wrong. In an electronic circuit, sparks cause a part of the PCB to melt ever so slightly and coat the metal components, this can lead to poor contact. Sparks can also cause solder to melt and the resolidify as a bad ('dry') joint. When two components are moving over each other, sprung together, and with over 1000V passing between them, the sparks merely vapourise any dirt (they are hot enough to vapourise carbon which is around 4000 degrees C at the core), and as it isn't in an enclosed space, the dirt vapour is blown away by even the slightest movement in the air (such as the convection circuit above the spark) and so do not reform over the wire). If you want to see an example of this in action (on a smaller scale), compare the performance of a model railway after it hasn't been used for a few weeks with that after 8 hours running (where maybe 0.1% of the energy has been put into the rails, than is put in by 1 reilway electrification spark.)
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

or check out an electrified railroad when it's a bit foggy and freezing (below 0 °C). The fog will touch the wires and freeze instant. Since there will be a tiny distance between the train's pantograph (is it called that in English too :?: ) and the catenary. Sparks will then jump and you will see a nearly blue light when the train drives. The next train will do the same since more ice have packed on the catenary
They don't replace the catenary each time it have been cold :wink:

Return to “General OpenTTD”