bigger checkpoints??

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

Jelger
Engineer
Engineer

bigger checkpoints??

Post by Jelger »

is it possible to enlarge my checkpoint to 2 or 3 tracks. Becouse when i use double double tracks all the trains have to go to the track with the checkpoint so i get jams..
I know it is possible to use stations and non-stop but it is a big job to change the orders of all my trains.
Bjarni
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Bjarni »

short answer: no
reason: It's hardcoded titlevise so it have no info on what tile it should bind to like stations binds tiles togerther. It is very hard to change, since it would need recoding of the checkpoint code
Jelger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jelger »

ok, thanks i'll give all my trains new orders..
Dunderdon
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Dunderdon »

How does your one-direction two-tracks network look like, if I may ask?
Jelger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jelger »

like this :)
Attachments
doubledouble.png
doubledouble.png (158.85 KiB) Viewed 940 times
wedesdo
Engineer
Engineer

Post by wedesdo »

Jelger wrote:like this :)
Impressive. Never thought of doing that.
School
Engineer
Engineer

Post by School »

You may try to use pre-signals instead of ordinary siginals for the junctions.
Jelger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jelger »

School wrote:You may try to use pre-signals instead of ordinary siginals for the junctions.
like this?
Attachments
doubledoublepresignals.png
doubledoublepresignals.png (101.61 KiB) Viewed 837 times
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

and in ottd 0.3.1 you can remove the middle unused piece of station by using ctrl-buyland :D
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Bjarni wrote:short answer: no
reason: It's hardcoded titlevise so it have no info on what tile it should bind to like stations binds tiles togerther. It is very hard to change, since it would need recoding of the checkpoint code
Why TTD is hard to change is because there are a lot of hardcoded things...

It would be best for OpenTTD to be as dynamic as possible, or else you will get the same problems as TTD had soon.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

GoneWacko wrote:Why TTD is hard to change is because there are a lot of hardcoded things...

It would be best for OpenTTD to be as dynamic as possible, or else you will get the same problems as TTD had soon.
absolutely true. but one of the reasons that the original ttd isn't dynamic is because of performance... this is also one of the big hurdles in dynamic bigger maps.
School
Engineer
Engineer

Post by School »

Korenn wrote:
GoneWacko wrote:Why TTD is hard to change is because there are a lot of hardcoded things...

absolutely true. but one of the reasons that the original ttd isn't dynamic is because of performance... this is also one of the big hurdles in dynamic bigger maps.
The orginal one is for DOS and Win95. Now I think that nobody would use win95 to play games ( even DirectX is not supported now ) and with win98, eventually the speed of computer is fast enough to handle more data.
Korenn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Korenn »

School wrote:
Korenn wrote:

The orginal one is for DOS and Win95. Now I think that nobody would use win95 to play games ( even DirectX is not supported now ) and with win98, eventually the speed of computer is fast enough to handle more data.
you misunderstand, yes, computers have become a lot faster since TTD was released, but NOT fast enough to handle changing all hardcoded values into dynamic ones. we're talking about a factor of a few million or more.
Jelger
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Jelger »

and, many people use their 'old' PC's to play Transport Tycoon.
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

that's right. I've got to use my 4 years old PC (Celeron 500) with Win 98.
And i would like to be able to play O-TTD for a long time............
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Jelger wrote:and, many people use their 'old' PC's to play Transport Tycoon.
Then they should still do so.
And play OpenTTD on a PC that handles it the way it should, imo.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.

Return to “General OpenTTD”