2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunched*

Discuss, get help with, or post new graphics for TTDPatch and OpenTTD, using the NewGRF system, here. Graphics for plain TTD also acceptable here.

Moderator: Graphics Moderators

DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

2CC Ship Set (Former North American Ship Set) - *Relaunched*

Post by DanMacK »

**Updated 08/08/08**

Given recent developments in OTTD and the "engine pool" patch, and on the suggestions of Purno and lead@inbox, this set will be changed according to suggestions :)

The main web page is located at http://users.tt-forums.net/2ccshipset/ships.html

Purno and lead@inbox were talking about doing a more generic "global" set as opposed to just a north American specific one. Parameters can be used to select "North American" or "Global" for TTDP players, and OTTD players will have access to all of the ships.

Current people involved:
Co-Co-ordinator/Webmaster - Purno
Co-Co-ordinator/Graphics Artist - DanMacK
Coder - buttercup
Graphics Artist - lead@inbox
Graphics Artist - andythenorth
Others are welcome to come on board as well 8)

The initial list for ships is below, suggestions welcomed

North America

Sailing Clipper (1700)
Sternwheel Steamboat (1850)
Canal Boat (Narrowboat) (1800)
Passenger Steamer (1885)
Great Lakes Freighter (1870)
Great Lakes Freighter (1905)
Great Lakes Freighter (1950)
Great Lakes Freighter (1985)
Passenger Ferry (1940)
Passenger Ferry (1985)
Modern Freighter (2015)

International

Clipper Ship (1700)
Paddlewheel Steamer (1820)
Passenger Liner (1890)
General Cargo Vessel (1890)

Others will be decided. Tankers can be available as refits of the standard ships to save ID's for TTDP players. Global ships will be along similar lines I'd assume, details will be fleshed out as the set develops.

Suggestions for ships welcomed.
Last edited by DanMacK on 13 Aug 2008 02:14, edited 6 times in total.
CZAR ALEKSANDER
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

LARGE pASSENGER SHIP FROM 1930-1950

Post by CZAR ALEKSANDER »

hello DanMack:

I like what I see so far but I would like to sugggest a medium passenger liner which could carry 250 passenger , 100 mail, 100 gods of any kind.
the Picture I sent to you could be used in this way please let me know
ok
Attachments
intendedgiants03.jpg
intendedgiants03.jpg (14.3 KiB) Viewed 25202 times
alphanumeric
Director
Director

Post by alphanumeric »

this would be really cool! what about US set buildings? I saw a couple in the japan set and got jealous :lol:
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I expect that the US set will eventually evolve to include American buildings, stations, and, OK, ships, if we want. This will happen over time, in future releases. Right now we have to get some things out the door. In the case of the Japan set, a new person appeared who wanted to draw buildings, but couldn't draw trains. That's fine. But I don't think it's helpful for train-drawers to set aside the trains and work on ships and buildings quite just yet. We need some reins on our ambition here. Baby steps, people...

But fundamentally, this is a good idea, and I'm sure it will come to pass in future months.

Would you do this first, Dan, or the Canadian set? :twisted:
Development Projects Site:
http://www.as-st.com/ttd
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

he'd do both!

Canadian Ships! an Canadian trains!
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

lol! Well, the US set is first, then I'll try both. If I get bored drawing trains, I'll draw ships :D
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Wait, wait, there's the steamers for the Japan set yet... :shock:
Japan, American Transition, Planeset, and Project Generic Stations available there
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

It'll all get done eventually. Probably in time for Transport Tycoon 2 to be released ;)
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Decided to kick this one up. I'm going to concentrate on this set after the US Set is done, then the Canadian set.

Mainly this ship set is for my "Great Lakes" scenario that I'm redoing to have more lake and less river.

Too often I've had over 1,000T of iron ore waiting at a dock on Lake Superior while my ships carry a measly 190T.

The first ship I'm planning to add to this set will be a Great Lakes bulk carrier capable of carrying 500-600 Tons. Again, this will be done AFTER my contributions to the US set are done. While MB's ship set added A LOT to ships, when you're dealing with thousands of tons in bulk goods, you need a big ship, that's what the Lakers were designed for.

Another typical North American ship I want to add is a CarFerry. These ships were used to ferry railcars across the Lakes. It'll be refittable and the load will show as railcars :) Look for some more updates on this one very soon. We need more ships, esp. for the new US Set.
Attachments
Chessie Car Ferry 'Badger'.
Chessie Car Ferry 'Badger'.
chesfbadger.jpg (25.93 KiB) Viewed 24543 times
RPharazon
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by RPharazon »

Can anyone say "Exxon Valdez" :lol:
Imagination! Here, you learn what it is to be human. You are a creator of order, of beautiful shapes and systems, an organizer of chaos.
Born Acorn
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Born Acorn »

If I ever drew a ship for ttd it would be a BR one with some visible trains sticking out the rear. :wink:
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Hmm although interesting, here are my 2 cents:

With the Ship Set by Michael Blunck, I still hardly started using ships. The only really good ship is the hovercraft because it also has some speed.
It was only since Canals that ships had something of a use.

And I'll also say it _again_: a lot of sets have lately been started on. it might be wiser to do this later or at least pay a tad less attention to it while other projects are waiting for artists. Then again, now that the US Set is nearly done, there's some more room. And a non-train set would do us all some good (more variation), probably.

I'd say the 'GoneWacko-Likes-The-Idea' counter is at 50%... :roll:
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

Well, since the Japan set seems to have sufficient staff, the US set is almost done, and the Planeset appears to draw from a different pool of talent, I'd like to see some alternate ships. MB's are good, but I do think there's some room for improvement.
HIH Princess Wensicia Cor
Engineer
Engineer

we need passenger ships for 1920-1930, 1930-1940, 1950-1964

Post by HIH Princess Wensicia Cor »

hello people:

I would like to suggest about 6 passenger ships. so I have inclosed a few pictures of what ships might work
Attachments
200_260x173.jpg
200_260x173.jpg (7.64 KiB) Viewed 24884 times
lafayette2_01.jpg
lafayette2_01.jpg (12.21 KiB) Viewed 24892 times
modell.gif
modell.gif (35.61 KiB) Viewed 24916 times
Last edited by HIH Princess Wensicia Cor on 31 May 2004 21:35, edited 1 time in total.
PRINCESS WENSICIA CORRINO
OF PLANET
CORRINO
Prof. Frink
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Prof. Frink »

The trouble is there's only 11(?) ship slots, so using 6 of these for passenger ferries would mean just 5 for freighters.
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think there will be MAJOR overloading of slots.

For example, you could have all your freighters covered using just four slots: one early (1921), one for Liberty ships (1940), one for semi-modern (1965), and one for modern (1990). You have them totally refittable into anything except passengers, and depending on what you refit them into, they could take on a totally different appearance.

Then that leaves you seven slots for passenger ships of varying types, some of which (like the train-ferries) could also be refit into goods.
aaronp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by aaronp »

You could also have random and changing liviries for the passanger ships to increase the variety available.

How about including a paddle steamer?
krtaylor
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by krtaylor »

I think paddle steamers were mostly dying by 1921 though.
aaronp
Engineer
Engineer

Post by aaronp »

krtaylor wrote:I think paddle steamers were mostly dying by 1921 though.
I know, I was just thinking of it as a novelty and something to work the inland canals
DanMacK
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by DanMacK »

Well, for the Inland Canals, there were small 'Lakers' called "Canallers" that worked the inland canals. One passenger ship is definitely going to be a "Muskoka" style steamer that worked the Muskoka Lakes area in Ontario. Below is a photo of the only remaining type of this ship =>The R.M.S. Segwun (Royal Mail Ship)
Attachments
RMS Segwun =>Muskoka Ship
RMS Segwun =>Muskoka Ship
Segwun.jpg (49.08 KiB) Viewed 24768 times

Return to “Graphics Development”