OpenTTD New Installer

OpenTTD is a fully open-sourced reimplementation of TTD, written in C++, boasting improved gameplay and many new features.

Moderator: OpenTTD Developers

RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

OpenTTD New Installer

Post by RaggieSoft »

I've decided to switch to Nullsoft's installer (they're the makers of Winamp).

What would you like to see the installer do? I will consider your requests seen on this topic.

The latest version is 0.1.4.
RaggieSoft - maker of the OpenTTD Installer (up to version 0.1.4 / Release 6)
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Make sure it is in MUI... :roll:
I hate the 'standard' UI.
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

GoneWacko wrote:Make sure it is in MUI... :roll:
It already is. I also use the XP interface. CobraA1 is creating a dialog that will demand the TTD location (so I no longer need the bulky 100kb RSSW file GRFCopy.exe)
Bernhard
Transport Coordinator
Transport Coordinator

Post by Bernhard »

it would be nice if it could work without the original cd.
Isn't it for Open TTD? (Cause i don't have an orignal win-ttd but i've got the original tto and ttdlx-cd's....
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

Bernhard wrote:it would be nice if it could work without the original cd.
Isn't it for Open TTD? (Cause i don't have an orignal win-ttd but i've got the original tto and ttdlx-cd's....
It does work without the CD starting with version 0.1.4. Simply tell Setup where your GRF files are. It wants the CD mainly to be sure the files are unaltered.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Read This First!

Post by RaggieSoft »

I noticed that so far people are asking for features already included with the installer. Before asking for a feature, check out the actual installer at http://members.cox.net/tallwoodband/openttd.

* Your TTD CD isn't required (but recomended to be sure you are using unaltered graphics) any more!
* CobraA1 is working on a better way to ask for the folder. Expect to see it in the next release.
* If you want to see TTD like graphics during install, simply submit a BMP file to TallwoodBand@cox.net
* It must be this size: 150 x 57
* It should fade into white whereas the white side is on the right side
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

RaggieSoft wrote:
It already is. I also use the XP interface. CobraA1 is creating a dialog that will demand the TTD location (so I no longer need the bulky 100kb RSSW file GRFCopy.exe)
I made an NSIS installer once that simply browsed the registry for the location of TTD (Windows version only ofcourse).
Copying a file shouldn't be much of a problem :)
GoneWacko. Making [url=irc://irc.oftc.net/tycoon]#tycoon[/url] sexy and exciting since 1784.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

GoneWacko wrote:
RaggieSoft wrote:
I made an NSIS installer once that simply browsed the registry for the location of TTD (Windows version only ofcourse).
Copying a file shouldn't be much of a problem :)
That's going to be in the next version :D
Setup will look for the Registry entry. If it's not found, then you'll be asked for the TTD Folder. You can always override that. I'll do this to get the GRF, CAT, and GM files.
Darkvater
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by Darkvater »

RaggieSoft wrote:
GoneWacko wrote:
RaggieSoft wrote:That's going to be in the next version :D
Setup will look for the Registry entry. If it's not found, then you'll be asked for the TTD Folder. You can always override that. I'll do this to get the GRF, CAT, and GM files.
Why do you guys want the registry? OTTD doesn't need the registry and hopefully never will. A lot of people have registry problems, or access conflicts, don't make it hard for them :)
TrueLight: "Did you bother to read any of the replies, or you just pressed 'Reply' and started typing?"
<@[R-Dk]FoRbiDDeN> "HELP, this litte arrow thing keeps following my mouse, and I can't make it go away."
Wuntvor
Engineer
Engineer

Post by Wuntvor »

I don't think they are suggesting to store anything concerning ottd in the registry, but rather use it to find the files needed for installation so you don't have to select the directory yourself. It's a lot more convenient that way, and if you want it from a different location, you can still do that as well.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

Wuntvor wrote:I don't think they are suggesting to store anything concerning ottd in the registry, but rather use it to find the files needed for installation so you don't have to select the directory yourself. It's a lot more convenient that way, and if you want it from a different location, you can still do that as well.
Yes, that's correct. In the future, my setup program will look for the Registry key that holds the path to the TTD for Windows installation path. This way, you won't need the CD. The only other reason is to populate Add / Remove programs with information. I will never have my installer access the Registry to modify OpenTTD settings!
GoneWacko
Tycoon
Tycoon

Post by GoneWacko »

Darkvater wrote:
RaggieSoft wrote:
GoneWacko wrote: Why do you guys want the registry? OTTD doesn't need the registry and hopefully never will. A lot of people have registry problems, or access conflicts, don't make it hard for them :)
The registry _MUST_ have an entry for TTWin95, under LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Fish <something>/TTWin95/ IIRC.
THat will make it easier to find the files to copy, because A. it checks if TTD is actually installed, and B. it finds the files on it's own.

DOS users will either not be able to use the installer (won't run under dos :roll: ) or will have to install manually.
Ofcourse there's a work around. He can just make a selection page: Dos or Windows.... :roll:
CobraA1
Route Supervisor
Route Supervisor

Post by CobraA1 »

I've given RaggieSoft something which I think is close to what the final installer will be. Hopefully, it won't be long until the next version of the installer is out :). I'll wait and see what he thinks, though.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music he hears, however measured or far away" --Henry David Thoreau
orudge
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Read This First!

Post by orudge »

RaggieSoft wrote:* Your TTD CD isn't required (but recomended to be sure you are using unaltered graphics) any more!
Hmmm, I applied the Tahoma font set to the OpenTTD graphics and that was fine... I think the altered graphics thing was fixed (at least for this).
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

orudge wrote:
RaggieSoft wrote:* Your TTD CD isn't required (but recomended to be sure you are using unaltered graphics) any more!
Hmmm, I applied the Tahoma font set to the OpenTTD graphics and that was fine... I think the altered graphics thing was fixed (at least for this).
On my PC altered graphics with OpenTTD works fine, without any problems :)
see my transportation photos on fotozajezdnia
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

RadekK wrote:On my PC altered graphics with OpenTTD works fine, without any problems :)
Hmm. I'd like to see some screen shots. Once I see more proof of it working, then I'll change the requirements.
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

CobraA1 - there's a problem

Post by RaggieSoft »

On the CD Browse dialog, Setup won't allow me to avance when I tell it the TTD CD is in drive D:

My CD Drive is D
I'm using the Windows 95 version of TTD

It works just fine when I use C:\MPS\TTWin95 as the folder. I'm thinking that this is a limitation of NSIS(?)

Other than that, the installer is nice. If the CD Browse dialog can be fixed, expect to see it for the next release of OpenTTD.

If there's no workaround, then I'll have Setup ask for the TTD install folder. It'll default to the location set in the Registry (obviously only if win version is installed). If the key isn't found, then the folder wil be blank (could someone tell me where the DOS version usually installs to?).
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

RaggieSoft wrote:
RadekK wrote:On my PC altered graphics with OpenTTD works fine, without any problems :)
Hmm. I'd like to see some screen shots. Once I see more proof of it working, then I'll change the requirements.
No problem.
Attachments
Altered graphics working :D
Altered graphics working :D
ottd.JPG (101.28 KiB) Viewed 9095 times
RaggieSoft
Engineer
Engineer

Post by RaggieSoft »

RadekK wrote:No problem.
Not bad. Would anyone else support changing my installer's demands of unaltered graphics? Maybe I could set the install folder to ask for either the CD or your TTD installation folder. Here's what I plan to do:

* Set the folder to the D: drive (since it's the most typical CD Drive). Not found?
* Set the folder to the Windows Registry key. Not found?
* Leave the field blank

Any DOS TTD users out there? I'd like to know what the default install folder of the DOS version is. Also, what is the structure of the DOS version CD? This way, instead of leaving the field blank, I'll use the DOS install folder.
vear
Chief Executive
Chief Executive

Post by vear »

Default DOS TTD install dir is C:\MPS\TTDLX.
On my DOS TTD cd, grf files are in main CD directory.
Last edited by vear on 31 Mar 2004 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General OpenTTD”